Balance spec Sever Force: Is it necessary?

Master-Nala

I love the Balance spec and have used it since launch. I have been back and forth on Sever Force though. It's a very short root, which is nice I guess, but the damage doesn't seem to be any better than Weaken Mind or Mind Crush when talented. Am I completely off base? Is this a must have?

Yes. It's a must-have. You are right that the damage isn't that much more than Weaken Mind. The point is that you get another fire-and-forget DoT to stack on top of Weaken Mind. Like Weaken Mind, Sever Force has a very high damage per cast time. You shoot it off once and then it ticks away while you are throwing out TK Throws and FiB and Mind Crush.

Yes. It's a must-have. You are right that the damage isn't that much more than Weaken Mind. The point is that you get another fire-and-forget DoT to stack on top of Weaken Mind. Like Weaken Mind, Sever Force has a very high damage per cast time. You shoot it off once and then it ticks away while you are throwing out TK Throws and FiB and Mind Crush.

Thanks!

In balance you would be nuts to not have it in PvP.

In pVe no you dont need it, and I use the points in the other tree to maximise dps.

As far as pvp goes it is THE BEST control for marauders and juggernauts who are rampaging around.

It ignores resolve and combined with out other CC and our kiting abilities I believe we are really the anti derp smash juggernaut class now, they will beat us 1 v 1, but what I do is hide on the outskirts sever forcing them to slow down their wrecking ball that is obliterating my healers and any team who happens to meander near their derp smash.

I too hate how much you give up from other trees to get it, but if you are fully specced into balance its a must have.

With the changes in 1.4 I think a lof of people will put serious consideration into just being a telkienetics/balance hybrid specced into having the alacrity skill that is unterruptable, the blow up stun bubble, and root push.

You get a bit less dps in my opinion from my play, and I love balance and it suits my playstyle but I think the hybrid just has the versatility you need in pvp now, and FAR more survivability.

In pVe no you dont need it, and I use the points in the other tree to maximise dps.

You aren't maximizing DPS if you give up Sever Force for some sort of hybrid in PvE. The hybrid builds parse well behind full Balance. If you want to go full TK, that's fine. Otherwise, for DPS, full balance is the only other choice. The hybrid was nerfed into oblivion and simply is no longer competitive with the full TK or Balance specs. Anyone still using a hybrid spec is gimping their DPS.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!

.....oh, you're serious? Then you're doing it wrong. Besides, that one point somewhere else is not going to give you the damage and versatility Sever Force gives you. Nice try though.