Finally won a Campaign Piece from HM EV and...what's the point?

murrdogg

My guild has been working on HM EV lately, and I finally won a campaign piece. Awesome, I thought, and I couldn't wait to get to the vendor to take a look at my options to purchase a piece. Imagine my dismay when I saw that each option for campaign gear was a DOWNGRADE from my rakata piece.

How is this possible? WoW is the only other MMO I ever played, and I started playing right about when WotLK came out. After turning 80, it was awesome to know that the gear I won from regular 5-mans would be trumpted by that obtained from heroic 5-mans. When I had accumulated enough Triumph emblems, I knew that gear would be an upgrade over my existing stuff, and there was no doubt that gear purchased through frost emblems would be even better. Heroic ICC gear was better than regular ICC gear...etc...etc.

I dont' know, maybe I'm not "nuanced" enough for SWTOR, but what's the point of having campaign gear that drops from the hardest content not be an upgrade?

The individual piece might not be an upgrade, but the set overall has different stat distribution for each piece of gear. 1 Rakata head will not be fundamentally worse in all aspects compared to 1 Campaign head; they will have different stats and Campaign will, mostly, have more number per stat than Rakata.

On the whole, Campaign > Rakata.

The individual piece might not be an upgrade, but the set overall has different stat distribution for each piece of gear. 1 Rakata head will not be fundamentally worse in all aspects compared to 1 Campaign head; they will have different stats and Campaign will, mostly, have more number per stat than Rakata.

well I'll take another look at it and the other campaign pieces...thanks

Actually Campaign gear in whole is worse then full Rakata. Every single piece has lower stats then the Rakata and even when fully modded it is still worse then Rakata.

The only Black Hole/Campaign piece that is a downgrade for me is the earpiece. The rest of them are upgrades. A lot of pieces have a loss of Willpower, but a drastic increase in power and other stats. That makes the piece a solid upgrade. When looking at the stats, check the secondary ones as well, not just the primary. Also, don't be afraid to mix and match mods. A lot of my mods came from mystic sets, some came from striker sets, and some came from Force-Master's.

A lot of the time the upgrade comes down to a select mod being a massive upgrade over the existing mod you have. I remember when I got my campaign mainhand, all I needed from it was the hilt. Gear upgrades are more about getting your stats prioritized through mods rather than getting a static upgrade from getting a new pair of pants. It takes a little getting used to.

Actually Campaign gear in whole is worse then full Rakata. Every single piece has lower stats then the Rakata and even when fully modded it is still worse then Rakata.

Every single piece...lower stats than Rakata?

Campaign/BH mods have more weight per stat on each one. I also didn't say that mixing and matching isn't an option - it's encouraged that people mix them.

But to say that every piece has lower stats than Rakata is just fallacy.

The campaign legs were a downgrade on my marauder.

Too many of the armorings have more endurance than strength and the set as a whole has too much crit.

This is about what I expected. You pretty much have to mix/match armorings/mods/enhancements from BH and/or Campaign items on your own and not assume the itemization is a straight up improvement. It's takes some getting used to- I won a pair of campaign legs that weren't better than my current legs but I ended up taking out the mod+enhancement as upgrades to what was in my mainhand weapon. Can be a major pain figuring it all out not to mention the extraction costs.

Edited by Projawa

This is about what I expected. You pretty much have to mix/match armorings/mods/enhancements from BH and/or Campaign items on your own and not assume the itemization is a straight up improvement. It's takes some getting used to- I won a pair of campaign legs that weren't better than my current legs but I ended up taking out the mod+enhancement as upgrades to what was in my mainhand weapon. Can be a major pain figuring it all out not to mention the extraction costs.

This is why I'm a big proponent entering character info over at a site like AskMrRobot and taking the time to plot out your Black Hole/Campaign upgrades in advance. Every time I'm talking to someone that's starting to pick up BH stuff, I point them to that site. It may take you a little while, doing tinkering to find the right mix of gear/mods, but it's worth it since it makes things so much easier, quicker, and cheaper in the long run.

The above statement is incorrect. Example:

Rakata:

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/gear/29110/rakata-eliminators-chestguard

Campaign:

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/gear/39487/campaign-combat-techs-body-armor

The big problem with Campaign is that most of the armoring is Endurance weighted, rather than main stat. But not in every case (as can be seen above). The trick is, use a site like askmrrobot to mix and match armoring, mods and enhancements. You can see which pieces you need to reach your target stats.

Also note that running HM EC to get campaign gear will also provide a generous supply of black hole commendations. The BH gear is the same level (61) as campaign. Between the campaign drops and the black hole gear, it is very easy to get Best in Slot. And a fully optimized Campaign/BH gear will be a significant improvement over a similarly optimized Rakata set.