Name changes

chris_rw

I lost about 4 over my accounts, with only one- my main- really pissing me off.

Played time is about 10-11 hours a day since day one of early access (whenever that was), which was the day I made that character. Hence the reason I'm pissed off about losing it- Bioware can't possibly justify it.

No they cannot. Thank Mevan. Does a CS want to look into Mevan's account? Mevan did you report this through the bug system?

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have over 6,000 screenshots taken using FRAPS. That's not including other screenshots taken before I get my folders organised. Shall I send them to Bioware? :')

Post one here so we know you are geniune and not just exaggerating. :)

Not that anyone on the forums here would ever exaggerate or anything like that. :p

Except truth implies fact, not speculation.

I was the one who said it originally: what part of it do you think is speculation? That everyone got moved?

When Bioware set-up the High Pop Server testing last week, they did so by moving all East Coast servers to a single High Pop Server--they were testing out the same procedure that was implemented this morning.

The matrix posted on the Server Migration page clearly displays all the so-called 'Destination' servers this time around on both sides of the equation: this indicates they were part of the move. This wasn't a straight [Origin]->Destination swap like last time.

Joveth Gonzalez flat out said there were a lot of variables involved with who gets renamed this time. This says it was not just the 'first come, first served' as last time.

That's not speculation: that's logic.

So, I made peace with this.

I logged on and added my old name to my friend's list (had to log onto an alt as they were on the opposite faction haha) and sent them a message, ended up chatting a little bit and at least now I know it's gone to an active level 50 who seems like a friendly person.

A very proactive thing to do and I applaud you for it. :)

Question for the community team: Is that statement true or false?

You can prove it to yourself. Go look in your Users folder for SWTOR. The server's name changed.

All of my character UI settings got reset (even though my server's name didn't change in the TEXT LISTING on the screen) because the server name changed from he1032 to he1098.

They created brand new mega-servers, using new technology. They had to move all characters onto it from the servers where they started. They didn't just add new players to existing servers.

Since some of us are getting nailed with name changes, why not reset everyone's name. I'm sure some names are taken by alts that mains want to use. I'm also pretty sure some of the names in question belong to folks no longer playing. So if you reset all names, folks can pick their name again on a first come first serve basis and make it fair to all. Sure somebody might beat me to the name I want but at least its going to someone still currently playing cause the reasons for choosing who changes their name and who doesn't is pretty vague.

I was on Bastion. Had a character that had to be renamed while I stayed on the Bastion...

What sense does this make? Please fix this. I'm not renaming the character whose name has to be changed. The other people who came on the server need to. I was here first.

"I was here first" basically doesn't count at all. You don't get preferential treatment just because you happen tio be on the server whose name is retained. See Joveth's post for a hint what actually influenced your ranking against other players.

Funny thing is, if Joveth is right, once-transferred Characters from the first round got a hefty priority boost. Go figure.

Would you honestly feel OK and not be just as peeved here on the forums if you were on one of the many closed servers?

Well, as for me i wouldn't feel ok, of course, but i also wouldn't demand people from destination servers to give up their rightful names so i can retain mine. It's not their fault that i've lost my name, but Bioware's.

At first, they screwed up creating too many servers at start. Then they implemented "soft forced" merge, making many people lose their names. Then they implemented "hard forced" merge, making some of those people to lose their names yet again, as well as some rightful owners on destination servers. Three screw-ups in a row, that's cool.

So, I made peace with this.

I logged on and added my old name to my friend's list (had to log onto an alt as they were on the opposite faction haha) and sent them a message, ended up chatting a little bit and at least now I know it's gone to an active level 50 who seems like a friendly person.

It really didn't help having the feeling in the back of my mind that it could have gone to someone unsubbed or to a low level toon who just happened to be made half an hour earlier or something.

I still stand by my opinion that they should have added surnames, but then I have wanted surnames since beta so that's no surprise. :p

Hope the rest of you guys who have been affected by this find a way to accept it and move on one way or the other. I sent a bug report asking for some clarification but doubt I'll get anything new. Not sure I'll ever go back to my main now though, hard to think of them with any other name and such.

I'm happy to see at least in your case - it went to another worthy person :) I know if I had gotten my names taken away on my mains (Zingapia, Delaini and Ashthra) I would have been heartbroken - however knowing me I would have done something silly like added an ' or a - to compensate.

You can prove it to yourself. Go look in your Users folder for SWTOR. The server's name changed.

All of my character UI settings got reset (even though my server's name didn't change in the TEXT LISTING on the screen) because the server name changed from he1032 to he1098.

They created brand new mega-servers, using new technology. They had to move all characters onto it from the servers where they started. They didn't just add new players to existing servers.

This is correct. The telling clue is your UI settings going back to default even though you did not move to a different server name (as in my case on two servers).

Maybe I should jump on the /rant wagon about having to reset my UI for every character even though my server name did not change. :p

Edited by Andryah

Because the "notion" this method is taking level 50 main character names from players is being shouted by players. Losing important names was not intended. If the rename logic is not working a thread showing that with real players numbers is helpful to getting a fix.

If you want to post about a lvl 11 toon you last logged into 3 months ago go ahead, feel free. At least tell everyone the whole truth about what your mad about.

We know the system. If its truly broken then it needs documented evidence by players as I doubt the metrics and mechanics for testing this could be that deep. its not like you do these every day.

If you want to rant and rave about day 1 go right ahead, but be honest to everyone about the lost names statistics.

I lost a heavily played 50 in the last move. I widely suspect the account I lost the name no longer played it. I would have like a system that gave me a chance to get my name. This system they put out should work and if its not you should get a chance to get the name back you lost.

I think this is important. If you really, truly have a problem and think you should have "won" the right to keep the name, posting the details like bug-report could help get it sorted out or atleast answered in more detail from the team. At this point it is all just loud noises.

That is a reasonable inference. I would like to know if it is true. I'm not saying you're wrong. But I'm not looking for a well-reasoned guess (and your argument is well founded).

Well, as for me i wouldn't feel ok, of course, but i also wouldn't demand people from destination servers to give up their rightful names so i can retain mine. It's not their fault that i've lost my name, but Bioware's.

At first, they screwed up creating too many servers at start. Then they implemented "soft forced" merge, making many people lose their names. Then they implemented "hard forced" merge, making some of those people to lose their names yet again, as well as some rightful owners on destination servers. Three screw-ups in a row, that's cool.

There were NO destination servers. Just new servers that used the name of old servers.

I tried to tell some people last night, but it wouldn't register.

I've been forced to change my favorite name that I've had since release, because I recreated it a couple of weeks ago and apparently that's not good enough- even though I've been subscribed non-stop and played almost non-stop. Oh well, because they don't even base it off of that. To top it off; 'The character does not exist'. Great. Edited by Takatsuki

So, during Phase 1 of the mergers I had to change my name when i moved. my name was taken by a level 1. I remade the character on the origin server just in case they added more destinations in the future (wishful thinking). So explain to me how today, I have the name back as a level 1. It transfered from the origin server today, as a level 1, yet months ago I couldnt get it.... Inconsistancy much? cant tell me that my level 1 had more play time that the other level 1, lol. Rediculous.

Post one here so we know you are geniune and not just exaggerating. :)

Not that anyone on the forums here would ever exaggerate or anything like that. :p

Well, I'd have to start looking through the screenshots to find one where I didn't have the UI removed from the shot (call it an excuse, I'm really not here to prove what I say to anyone). Plus, I know I'm right, I just want Bioware to admit that their system is flawed and give me my damned name back. They must have records showing who has earned what names and why, but I imagine this has been done automatically by some broken system (c'mon, everything they add has bugs, makes sense that this does too). In the end, I'll be satisfied with my name back, just for that character. Without it, the character might as well be deleted and replaced, since the new name will not be that characters name. Some players will understand it, some won't. I just want to run around as Darth Reaver again :'(

No they cannot. Thank Mevan. Does a CS want to look into Mevan's account? Mevan did you report this through the bug system?

I actually have reported this in-game. Though I have yet to read the useless reply once again stating that there's nothing that can be done :/

Everyone got moved. You included. Even if the new server name is identical to your old server name, you still got moved.

Last time around, they used your logic and it pissed a lot of early adopters off for potentially losing their Level 50 character name to a Level 1 character created the day before just because they so happened to do it on a Destination server.

This time around, they tried to be fair about it, especially to the players/characters who previously had to rename.

Have some empathy. It's not all about you.

Yes because they moved people that didn't need to be moved because they refused too off of a dead server , makes perfect sense .

Doesn't matter this is the last nail in the coffin for this game

I lost one name - that being the level 1 placeholder character for the level 50 character I had on another server.

We were all moved to different servers, and BioWare did exactly what many people were suggesting that they should have done with the naming policy in the first place.

Would it really help if they told us their exact reasoning behind it? All it would lead to is people QQing about the "unfairness" of the reason their character qualified for a name name. Although it is nice to see that one consideration was if a player had had to change their names previously.

I was on Harbringer, and stayed on Harbringer with the server merges. Since I didn't move, why does it say I have to change my names?

I am also having this problem with one of my characters. I was on The Shadowlands and still am, and yet it says I must change my name. I won't play the character until the ticket I submitted is responded to.

If that is the case, they still should've given priority to the character name that belonged to somebody that ALREADY was on the server of that name.

Well, I'd have to start looking through the screenshots to find one where I didn't have the UI removed from the shot (call it an excuse, I'm really not here to prove what I say to anyone). Plus, I know I'm right, I just want Bioware to admit that their system is flawed and give me my damned name back. They must have records showing who has earned what names and why, but I imagine this has been done automatically by some broken system (c'mon, everything they add has bugs, makes sense that this does too). In the end, I'll be satisfied with my name back, just for that character. Without it, the character might as well be deleted and replaced, since the new name will not be that characters name. Some players will understand it, some won't. I just want to run around as Darth Reaver again :'(

I actually have reported this in-game. Though I have yet to read the useless reply once again stating that there's nothing that can be done :/

This guy deserves a response besides some stupid canned email.

So, during Phase 1 of the mergers I had to change my name when i moved. my name was taken by a level 1. I remade the character on the origin server just in case they added more destinations in the future (wishful thinking). So explain to me how today, I have the name back as a level 1. It transfered from the origin server today, as a level 1, yet months ago I couldnt get it.... Inconsistancy much? cant tell me that my level 1 had more play time that the other level 1, lol. Rediculous.

Let me guess

- the other guy unsubscribed on got thus down-priorized into oblivion?

- the other guy deleted that particular character?

Hey, be happy. You got your name back!

Everyone got moved. You included. Even if the new server name is identical to your old server name, you still got moved.

Last time around, they used your logic and it pissed a lot of early adopters off for potentially losing their Level 50 character name to a Level 1 character created the day before just because they so happened to do it on a Destination server.

This time around, they tried to be fair about it, especially to the players/characters who previously had to rename.

Have some empathy. It's not all about you.

That is interesting, considering my character ALREADY had to change when I moved TO The Shadowlands during free x-fers. So now I have to change my name again, even though it says I'm still on the same server.

They should've just given preference to those who were on the server of the name already. Or at least, simply changed the name of the server so it is less confusing.

Yes because they moved people that didn't need to be moved because they refused too off of a dead server , makes perfect sense .

They also moved a helluva lot of characters off an active server onto a new one.

'Need' is a relative thing. I can completely understand the business purposes for what they did--it's more cost effective to maintain 10 mega servers than 20 active servers and 80 idle ones, and they can't just throw those characters out, because the subscribers might come back once every thing goes f2p. In theory, they're all primed to handle not only the current subscriber base but the influx of players they're hoping to get in f2p without having to add more servers or any further contraction pains.

Yeah, it sucks people lost names they've had for a while (a friend I play with was in the closed beta, an early adopter, and plays constantly and still lost six of his eight themed character and Legacy names during the Free Transfers) and it should've been handled better to begin with, but hopefully the worst is over now.

Edited by AlixMV