Name changes

chris_rw

I agree with posters like you asking what the variables are that lost me my main 50. You should bug report your name change ingame. If you lost a main something is wrong with the formula.

This is not directed at you PlagaNerezza, but the larger base of complainers because of "transparency".

Practical question: What difference would it make if they gave you the specific rules for who has to change their name? Seriously, what difference would it make? It's not like you have an option to over-ride the rules. Do you want all the account specifics of other players whose name conflicts with yours too??? :rolleyes:

They have explained that they have a rule set for establishing precedence, and either you made the cut or you did not. It's not a debate or an appeals process.

Edited by Andryah

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ProphetX,

What would your solution be if the person sharing your name had a similar play/create history?

If your being moved the mover should have to change there name .

You don't do this to people that have been on said server , you damn sure don't do it without communicating to people only to log in and see the name you have had since the first day of early access has to be changed .

Wow, Bioware. Really?

What a crummy thing to do to a player base. I used to be a BW apologist, but it seems I was wrong. It's evident that you really don't give a crap about what you do to this game.

I know it's just character names, but to do this unannounced and without the option to remain behind on your current server is just a danged lousy thing to do. I am extremely disappointed.

When naming conflicts occur due to the consolidation, players are given priority based on a variety of factors such as character play time and if they have already had to rename their characters as part of the first character transfer program back in June. Please do keep in mind that this does not encompass all of the factors taken into consideration, but those are an example of the major ones.

Are you kidding me? Yep, im done. Dont care how much i love the stories, this is complete and utter bull. I reserved all 8 of my names before the first rounds of transfers were even mentioned, however, im not a hardcore player. So I lose 6 of 8 of my names? This was handled idioticly. those who were on the destination server should keep the names, regardless of what factors you guys pull out of thin air.

EDIT: and subscription cancelled. Maybe ill check back to see if they reveresed this bull, otherwise done. Complete and utter waste of $200+

Edited by Father_Giliam

Yea, I have one toon i need to change the name on. funny thing is its not a common name and you dont see it used and I made it on Launch day. So seeing it moved over from the first server merg why do i need to change it when its was from day 1 and already in a merg?

only thing i can think of is the filter is seeing a violation even though its not? who knows

You don't do this to people that have been on said server , you damn sure don't do it without communicating to people only to log in and see the name you have had since the first day of early access has to be changed .

So the people on the destination server win due to luck of the draw of the server being one of the few chosen to remain? What if the person moving had only one character and you had 6 50's?

Would you honestly feel OK and not be just as peeved here on the forums if you were on one of the many closed servers?

PS,I have yet to log on and am curious how many of my names will need to be changed.

Edited by Moncrief

Why don't you tell us the 3 variables on the lost toons.

/played time

was the character already subject to a name change during the last move

Approximate date of creation

You have 31 alts according to your footer. What ones did you lose?

I lost about 4 over my accounts, with only one- my main- really pissing me off.

Played time is about 10-11 hours a day since day one of early access (whenever that was), which was the day I made that character. Hence the reason I'm pissed off about losing it- Bioware can't possibly justify it.

So the people on the destination server win due to luck of the draw of your server being one of the few chose to remain? What if the person moving had only one character and you had 6 50's?

Would you honestly feel OK and not be just as peeved here on the forums if you were on one of the many closed servers?

PS,I have yet to log on and am curious how many of my names will need to be changed.

Yes , to do it to Destination servers is unacceptable and furthermore to do it without warning

I lost about 4 over my accounts, with only one- my main- really pissing me off.

Played time is about 10-11 hours a day since day one of early access (whenever that was), which was the day I made that character. Hence the reason I'm pissed off about losing it- Bioware can't possibly justify it.

10 or 11 hours per day since day one of early access?!?!? Holy #$&%!

Everyone got moved. You included. Even if the new server name is identical to your old server name, you still got moved.

Last time around, they used your logic and it pissed a lot of early adopters off for potentially losing their Level 50 character name to a Level 1 character created the day before just because they so happened to do it on a Destination server.

This time around, they tried to be fair about it, especially to the players/characters who previously had to rename.

Have some empathy. It's not all about you.

Edited by AlixMV

When naming conflicts occur due to the consolidation, players are given priority based on a variety of factors such as character play time and if they have already had to rename their characters as part of the first character transfer program back in June. Please do keep in mind that this does not encompass all of the factors taken into consideration, but those are an example of the major ones.

I'd hope having already renamed your character would LOWER your priority, not bump it up.

Presumably somebodies whose name is already a second choice and they've had for what , 3 months at most, would have less "right" to the name than somebody for whom that name was their first choice, the only name they've had for that character, ever since launch.

Since I thought the population on my server (Drooga's) was already overcrowded in competing for spawns/quest nodes, I'm sort of pissed at the merges to begin with. Isn't going to help if I have to also rename characters because of this idiotic merge.

I just hope the number of people in an "instance" has been dropped. I'd be perfectly happen to see 10 instances of Tattoine if it means I don't have to compete against 10 other players for quest nodes/mobs.

Considering you can't "auto fill-in" legacy members names of the opposite faction, I'd be willing to be that if any of my characters have to change names, I'll end up giving some lucky name thief a whole lot of really good equipment... and then complaining to CS about it... who likely won't do anything about it.

Everyone got moved. You included. Even if the new server name is idential to your old server name, you still got moved.

Last time around, they used your logic and it pissed a lot of early adopters off for potentially losing their Level 50 character name to a Level 1 character created the day before just because they so happened to do it on a Destination server.

This time around, they tried to be fair about it, especially to the players/characters who previously had to rename.

Have some empathy. It's not all about you.

Quoted for truth.

This is not directed at you PlagaNerezza, but the larger base of complainers because of "transparency".

Practical question: What difference would it make if they gave you the specific rules for who has to change their name? Seriously, what difference would it make? It's not like you have an option to over-ride the rules.

They have explained that they have a rule set for establishing precedence, and either you made the cut or you did not. It's not a debate or an appeals process.

Because the "notion" this method is taking level 50 main character names from players is being shouted by players. Losing important names was not intended. If the rename logic is not working a thread showing that with real players numbers is helpful to getting a fix.

If you want to post about a lvl 11 toon you last logged into 3 months ago go ahead, feel free. At least tell everyone the whole truth about what your mad about.

We know the system. If its truly broken then it needs documented evidence by players as I doubt the metrics and mechanics for testing this could be that deep. its not like you do these every day.

If you want to rant and rave about day 1 go right ahead, but be honest to everyone about the lost names statistics.

I lost a heavily played 50 in the last move. I widely suspect the account I lost the name no longer played it. I would have like a system that gave me a chance to get my name. This system they put out should work and if its not you should get a chance to get the name back you lost.

Edited by PlagaNerezza

The last time that there was a transfer, I lost 90% of my character names. Mind you that I do have characters on 2 servers.

When I went from Hydarian way to Nightmare land, I lost 6 character names and now I lost 3 out of the 7 going from Nightmareland to Red Eclipse.

When I went from Sith Mediation sphere to shadowlands, I lost 3 out of the 4 names and now I lost 3 out of the 8 names on Shadowland to Shadowland.

Some of these names I had were not that common, but I was still able to make some variation of the name. A few of these characters had to be renamed twice now.

Edited by Mdgshorty

Screen shot of /played or it isn't true. :)

Everyone got moved.

They just used existing server names on the new mega-servers.

We aren't special just because our original servers' names were used again.

Practical question: What difference would it make if they gave you the specific rules for who has to change their name? Seriously, what difference would it make? It's not like you have an option to over-ride the rules. Do you want all the account specifics of other players whose name conflicts with yours too??? :rolleyes:

Because an unreasonable process gives me information about their decision making process and I can act accordingly.

Because the "notion" this method is taking level 50 main character names from players is being shouted by players. Losing important names was not intended. If the rename logic is not working a thread showing that with real players numbers is helpful to getting a fix.

If you want to post about a lvl 11 toon you last logged into 3 months ago go ahead, feel free. At least tell everyone the whole truth about what your mad about.

We know the system. If its truly broken then it needs documented evidence by players as I doubt the metrics and mechanics for testing this could be that deep. its not like you do these every day.

If you want to rant and rave about day 1 go right ahead, but be honest to everyone about the lost names statistics.

I lost a heavily played 50 in the last move. I widely suspect the account I lost the name no longer played it. I would have like a system that gave me a chance to get my name. This system they put out should work and if its not you should get a chance to get the name back you lost.

Sorry, but you did not answer my question. You just presented an excuse for needing the info. What exactly would you do with the information if you had it? The rules will not help you justify any claim of being able to keep a character name BECAUSE you would also need to see the character names and account specifics that conflicted with yours, and there is no way you will ever get to see that.

So all the gnashing of teeth is wasted energy, unless you just want to vent and rant... in which case... carry on.

Yes , to do it to Destination servers is unacceptable and furthermore to do it without warning

Wasn't there a warning? I mean, when servers merge there has to be name issues. If you mean a warning about destination server players potentially losing names, what could you or anyone have done?

It sounds like play time should trump all, but destination should break the tie in your view?

I lost a name in the voluntary server change months ago and it was a hassle. I changed the name and ultimately wasn't satisfied with it. So, I feel your pain. But, I just got more into a different character that I like a lot more now regardless if I had the old name still... probably.

So, I made peace with this.

I logged on and added my old name to my friend's list (had to log onto an alt as they were on the opposite faction haha) and sent them a message, ended up chatting a little bit and at least now I know it's gone to an active level 50 who seems like a friendly person.

It really didn't help having the feeling in the back of my mind that it could have gone to someone unsubbed or to a low level toon who just happened to be made half an hour earlier or something.

I still stand by my opinion that they should have added surnames, but then I have wanted surnames since beta so that's no surprise. :p

Hope the rest of you guys who have been affected by this find a way to accept it and move on one way or the other. I sent a bug report asking for some clarification but doubt I'll get anything new. Not sure I'll ever go back to my main now though, hard to think of them with any other name and such.