The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Need help with AP procs.

Moncrief

I recently switched my tank spec'ed PT to an AP build because I'm just not a very good tank. I prefer playing DPS or heals in MMOs. I'm having some problems tracking the two main procs. The crit Rail Shot proc I see produces a graphic flourish around my character with an accompanying sound. However, battle sounds and graphics often drown both of those out. I end up using Rail Shot without the buff way too often. The free rocket punch happens enough that I'm not as concerned about it. But, I'd prefer to only be using that punch when free. How do you good AP players manage tracking those procs without having to hunt the icons in your buff list? When I'm in a fight with movement I lose track too often. Maybe I just need more practice with the rotation. But, I thought some suggestions might be helpful.

Cheers.

The RS crit proc is super easy to notice due to the yellow swirly line effect. I don't use RB unless RS is off (or close to coming off of) cooldown and ready to rock, or unless I really need to snare a moving target. I never use RS without the guaranteed crit proc. The proc lasts awhile, so a quick glance down at your icons will tell you if you have it. It's a red line over a blueish silhouette.

For the flame barrage proc, you get a 100% chance to get a free RP after Immolate which is usually when I time my RP anyway, so there is really nothing to keep track of there. Because this spec is so generous with heat, I don't worry about this very much. Especially keeping track of it after flame burst (which I'm spamming all the time). In fact, I often take power armor instead of flame barrage because I'm so used to being anal about my heat from all those valor levels as pyro I don't feel the need for the free moves.

When in doubt spam the hell out of flame burst. Immolate and RP obviously should always be on cooldown. Never use RS without the charged gauntlets proc. Don't force yourself to spend flamethrower due to the "12 second rule", but keep that rule in the back of your mind and don't sacrifice the good for the perfect in terms of opportunity to use it.

I definitely find myself looking down at my icons more with AP than with pyro. Actually, with pyro I don't think you even need to look at the screen let alone the icons.

Just stick with it and I think most folks develop a "feel" for the spec after awhile. It felt super weird and awkward for me at first, but became very intuitive after awhile.

Edited by FeralPug