The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Recommended Desktop for TOR?

TheAmbien

Hello, I was wondering what a good desktop would be for TOR? I recently looked into buying the new Dell XPS All-In-One Computer which is the 27" for 1799.99.. Would that be good enough?

3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3770s processor (up to 3.90 GHz)

Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English

8GB3 Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz

2TB 7200RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M 2GB GDDR5

Non-Touch 27" Full High Definition (2560x1440) WLED Display with Webcam

Hello, I was wondering what a good desktop would be for TOR? I recently looked into buying the new Dell XPS All-In-One Computer which is the 27" for 1799.99.. Would that be good enough?

that should handle swtor at near max everything.

It's a good system in terms of specs, but I'd honestly recommend staying away from Dells in general. I know some people swear by them, but I know a lot more people who swear they're nothing but a headache in a box, including IT professionals. I know they can be a pain to upgrade, my nephew's Dell is one of the banes of my existence in terms of helping him maintain and upgrade it lol.

Your always better off building your own computer. Building a air cooled computer isn't very difficult and can be done in probably in under an hour. It's so easy a cave man can do it! Plus, you computer will have better hardware and cost less than a prebuilt computer. As bonus you get pick the color of your hardware and lighting if that is your thing.

Just to give you a rough idea.

You can get a motherboard for like $134-150,

2500k for $204 or a 3570k for $229

8 gb of ram for around $50-60

7950 for $310

A bronze corsair 500-600 psu for around $80-100

A korean made tv with the resolution you posted imported for $300-400.

A keyboard for 30-60$

Mouse $40-60

Windows vista 7 $100

A 250 gb ssd: $200-220

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus 29.99

Alcohol at lest 90 percent with thermal paste cost around 10-15 dollars

Cost comes out to about $1733, but you get a superior graphics card, 250 gb ssd, and high quality monitor. If you already have mouse keyboard, then the cost is reduce by 100. I only used the top end prices, but if you wait for specials you can go a lot cheaper. I bought my ram for like 25-30 dollars when it retail price was at 50. The same is true for cpu. I bought my 3570k for 209, but if you live near a microcenter you get one cheaper for 190. Plus from time to time microcenter has combos on cpu/motherboards. At moment you can get a Z77 Extreme4 LGA for 129.99 at microcenter. Thus, total cost of motherboard and cpu is 319, which you save about 40 to 50 dollars compared to newegg, but you have to live by a microcenter. My point is if you wait for specials you can build a really nice computer at a fraction cost of a read made computer.

My current computer cost about 2k to build, but had I bought one ready made the price tag would have been around 3800-4000. That's due to fact that my computer is water cooled and ready made water cooled computers are more time consuming and complex to build, which is why they cost a lot more. Also depends on the parts that are used. All the custom built shops I look into don't use the best parts or ideal parts for computers and always cut corners or overcharge by adding unnecessary hardware. Like you really need a 750watt psu for a single card computer or 16 gb of ram for a normal home desktop. They cut corners by using cheap psu, ram, or motherboard.

Edited by Knockerz

Everything looks good except the graphics card, which is REALLY weak. The Geforce 640 isn't really meant for gaming.

Everything looks good except the graphics card, which is REALLY weak. The Geforce 640 isn't really meant for gaming.

From what I understand it's a laptop graphics card. I wouldn't use a laptop for gaming even if it is advertise as gaming laptop. They will start to overheat sooner or later and you can't exactly clean them out like normal desktop without voiding the warranty.

Edited by Knockerz

Yea, I'd also vote no on that Dell. For $1800, you could have somebody build a much better computer, if you don't have the expertise to do so yourself. It will play the game, don't get me wrong, but if I was investing my money in a game rig, a Dell all-in-1 would never be considered as an option.