Augments: Power v. Strength

Dawginole

Long story short: the difference is so minimal that it really doesn't matter

This. I personally use strength augments, but the optimization of your other gear, your rotation, knowledge of hte class, your spec, and your overall skill in playing are going to have a MUCH greater impact on dps than whether you decide to stack strength or power.

This. I personally use strength augments, but the optimization of your other gear, your rotation, knowledge of hte class, your spec, and your overall skill in playing are going to have a MUCH greater impact on dps than whether you decide to stack strength or power.

Dude, I'm so awesome I play in a PowerGlove. It's so bad.

Can you remind me - are both STR and PWR equally scaled up with complete set of class buffs?

For now I go with STR as it was easier for me to tune the gear to the crit % I wanted with STR and then I could swap the mods with crit rating to these with str+pwr, e.g. 68str+12 crit rating changed to 53str+41pwr.

To be more detailed, I use STR to help getting crit to +25% and above that: PWR.

Edited by BogyOne

Can you remind me - are both STR and PWR equally scaled up with complete set of class buffs?

Base Attributes (Aim, Willpower, etc) are mathematically improved by both the Consular buff (5% increase to all Attributes) and the Knight buff (5% increase to bonus damage and bonus healing). Power increases only via the Knight buff. In general, assuming you've gotten your crit and surge to the point wherein DR prevents them from being especially useful, Power and your primary attribute balance out because, while Power adds to your bonus damage at a slightly better ratio, your primary attribute also adds to your crit rate (at a severely diminished rate that doesn't operate on the same DR scale as crit rating). Depending on how much crit and surge you're already packing, one could be better than the other but not enough to definitively say one is universally better than the other.

In the case of other classes (specifically those with a talent that specifically augments their primary attribute), the answer *is* definitive and firmly entrenches the primary attribute as the stat of primary importance for DPS and healing.

Power and your primary attribute balance out because, while Power adds to your bonus damage at a slightly better ratio, your primary attribute also adds to your crit rate (at a severely diminished rate that doesn't operate on the same DR scale as crit rating). Depending on how much crit and surge you're already packing, one could be better than the other but not enough to definitively say one is universally better than the other.

This post is the weirdest mix of information and disinformation I've seen for a while. You correctly identify that Strength's crit contribution is on a separate curve and is therefore unaffected but how much crit rating you've stacked, but then turn around and contradict yourself by saying the relative value of Strength versus Power is affected by the amount of crit you already have, which is not the case. Surge would affect the relative values slightly, however.

At any rate, your last assertion is incorrect: Strength is mathematically better that Power point for point at current gearing ranges. This can be calculated, and is not indefinitive in any way.

Edited by Aurojiin