Combat PVP - To keybind or not to keybind

Occide

Okay so, I'm sitting at almost full BM gear and playing a combat specced Sentinel, and I was wondering if I should keybind or not. I'll be posting this in both the class forum and the PVP forum so I can get a wide variety of answers.

Basically what I'm doing is I have two rows of bars, the top row is bound from keys 1 to =, as most things are, and contains most of my attacks plus my cc breaker.

The bottom bar has stuff like defensive CDs, stealth, Dispatch, the ball throw ability, yada yada. I usually click them but I'm starting to wonder whether I should keybind them so my full attention is on the fight and not desperately searching to find Rebuke or Saber Ward or whatever.

Marauders or other spec'd sentinels, feel free to comment on your personal preference, but if I do keybind, what should I keybind my bottom bar with? Ctrl+1 to Ctrl+=?

Oh. Two misc questions while I'm at it.

1) How can I keybind my 1 key to be my right click? I need Slash to build moar focus sometimes..

2) What's a good idea for a rotation/bar layout so I'm maximising my dps in pvp? It just feels like I'm missing something to take me from averaging around 100k into the 150/200k bracket. Part of that is gear and part of it may be I don't have healers to keep me alive, but maybe I'm missing something.

If anyone requests it, I'll take a screenshot of my bars so you can check em out :)

Thanks for your time!

You need to keybind a buttload of skills regardless of which class or spec you're playing. Sentinel moreso then any other class I've played in SWTOR.

Here's just a taste of how I keybind my sent in Combat. It may seem random but it's layed out for easy access to abilities you need to react with quickly.

` - Force Cammo

1 - strike

2 - bladestorm

3 - leap

4 - precission slash

5 - Force Stasis

F - Bladerush

R - Zealous Strike

T - Cripple Throw

V - Rebuke

C - Cauterize

X - Force Sweep

Z - Saberward

Middle Mouse - Valourous Call

Shift Middle Mouse - Stun Break

Mouse 4 (thumb 1) - interrupt

Mouse 5 (thumb 2) - Masterstrike

Other ideas...

I then bind a bunch of skills to SHIFT+ the agove bindings and other SHIFT combinations ie; SHIFT+E is dispatch, G is legslash, SHIFT+G is huttball throw. Pacify ALT+1. Zen is F1 Inspiration F2 Transcendance F3. Target of Target - right arrow. There are loads more, things like AWE, Guarded by the Force, all bound.

You need to experiment with things to get them to a comfortable place. You might want to bind things like your healing stims as well.

COMBAT roation has a lot of flexibility to it. There is a lot of BLADERUSH spam going on as it's your go-to ability when Bladestorm and masterstrike are not available. You want to use Transcendance and Zen a lot. If you have everything up and ready, you want to find a squishie target, and if youc an find one that has just blown it's knockback do this.

LEAP

ZEALOUS STRIKE

BLADESTORM

PREC SLASH + MASTERSTRIKE - watch the masterstrike cast bar. Once the timer ticks down to about 0.5 seconds hit BLADESTORM. The cast bar will say cancelled but your last tick of MASTERSTRIKE will hit and your Bladestorm will hit at the same time, with it's auto crit and with %100armor ignore. This is the bread and butter of Combat DPS it is all about burst.

You can abreviate this rotation however it won't be as reilable as you don't get a BLADERUSH in but you if you spec right you can do this if you have some focus built

LEAP

PREC SLASH + MASTERSTRIKE - BLADESTORM which is some good immediate burst.

If you want to use Zen in Combat, wait till you have PREC SLASH up, and about 7 focus, then just hit your armor ignore and spam the crap out of bladerush, it dishes out a crazy amount of damage.

But the best thing about Combat is learning when to use your roots and your group speed buff. Remember that you have so much more CC in combat then Watchman/Focus

Crippling Throw - root

Masterstrike - root

Force Stasis - Stun

Awe - AOE Stun

Transcendance - %80 run speed + Defense (wins Voidstar and huttball matches if you use it right)

Edited by KruelhandJorb

Don't be a clicker. Your going to kill your DPS. I picked up a Razer Nostromo keypad and it really really helped. It has 14 buttons, a thumb button, a scroll wheel/button, and a thumb directional joystick/pad. The main 14 buttons are laid out as two rows of 5 buttons (1-10) and 11-14 are on row 3. I laid out two toolbars in the same config so they match my buttons (2 rows of 5 buttons). That way my toolbars coorispond with the matching key. When activating skills on toolbar 1 (main attacks) I just press the key. For toolbar 2 skills I depress the thumb button (acts as a CTRL keypress) and press the corrisponding key. I use the scroll wheel to scroll forward <> backward through targets or just depress it to target whatever is center screen. Since I use my mouse to move around I used the 4 directional pad buttons and bound them to macro's.

Macro 1 (forward button) = Force Leap > Pause .5 seconds > Zealous Strike

Macro 2 (backward button) = Force Kick interupt

Macro 3 (left button) = Valorous Call > Pause 1 second > Zen

Macro 4 (right button) = Valorous Call > Pause 1 second > Trans

Well i used to play combat , now im watchmen which fits my style because combat is shishy but i know with both specs i keybind everything i will be using in pvp especially my defensive CD and keybind is sort of different for each person but i keybind for my rotation for somthing that feels natrual like where my hand natrualy moves to the next key.. the only "rule" of keybinding is you dont want to have binds farther than 6 because nobody's hand is big enough to fit the entire board... so for me i have

Zel Strike - Q

Force Leap - A

Blade Rush ( Now Slash because i switched long ago) - W

Strike - 1

Blade Storm ( now dispatch beacuse im watchmen) - 2

Cuaterize ( rarely used it when i was combat ) - 3

rebuke ( used every fight) - 4

saberward ( used only when trying to hold a node, vs a player with more hp, ect) - 5

Cc breaker - 6

Precision slash - G

Cyclone clash - 7

Crippling Throw - Z

Force camo -V

Zen-X

Transcendence-C

Note : i rarely used pommel strike or oppertuine strike because they did little to no damage in pvp.

Hope u get ur keyninds soon just dont ever click.. only think i clicked is pass the huttball im a sent so i rarely even had to use it!

Edited by MindgameZ