The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

power gen or shield gen?

FatFishMonster

You would gimp your damage, while not gaining any real defensive ability.

^Force & Tech attacks are not shieldable. So Vanguard tanks get short-changed in PvP since all ACs have Force or Tech attacks at their disposal. It still helps (for saber & sniper attacks), but it's not as useful as it is in PvE. I recommend this article on defense & shield mechanics in SWTOR: http://taugrim.com/2012/01/19/understanding-swtors-avoidance-and-mitigation-mechanics-for-tanks-in-pvp/

Just going on the same doubt... what if I use the shield to reduce the damage I get and work on a damage tree? Does that work?

Offhand non-weapons that aren't shields (Generators, Foci, etc) have roughly 20% higher Force/Tech power than Shields with identical ratings. The difference in Force/Tech power is enough to make up for at least 5% of your total DPS. A shield of similar grade, unless you are in your tank stance, is only going to provide you with the baseline 20% absorb rating and 5% shield chance, which amounts to a paltry 1% damage reduction. So, unless you're packing the talents and the stat ratings to make a shield worthwhile (which you're not going to be doing as a DPS, even while leveling), you're better off just using a Generator/Focus.