The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Powertech as clicker

thorndsword

I was wondering if it's possible to be a decent PT pyrotech if you're a clicker. I have my doubts because of the mobility and close range of the class. If so, then wouldn't the mercenary be the preferable AC?

I'd say it depends on how you move. If you use wasd, I can't imagine why you'd have any trouble at all being a clicker. I'm a sort of hybrid, using a nostromo N52 for my main row of skills, but many of my less frequently used skills/items are off that bar. That said, I use my thumb for movement, so that frees up the mouse for looking.

I'd say it depends on how you move. If you use wasd, I can't imagine why you'd have any trouble at all being a clicker. I'm a sort of hybrid, using a nostromo N52 for my main row of skills, but many of my less frequently used skills/items are off that bar. That said, I use my thumb for movement, so that frees up the mouse for looking.

Because when fighting someone who uses keybinding, you will notice they move around a lot. This is especially prevalent in the melee classes. It's a huge chore to try to turn so that you can actually use any of your skills. It will come down to you trying to attack them whilst they just run around you hammering away at your health. Though depending on the type of mouse or equipment one uses this could be a moot point.

You probably could. Pyro is an easy spec.

don't try to play AP, though. AP is an extremely mobile spec and it's only survivability comes from kiting. Sorry to sound a bit elite, but I'd say only good players can make the spec good.

As a poster above said, at least bind Rail Shot, Rocketpunch, Flame Burst, and thermal detonater.

It would also help to bind your interrupt for emergencies, and Rocket Blast is good for AoE instant ranged interrupt on people capping objectives.

Explosive dart is nice as it's a 3 second delayed Rocket Blast, use it right before you die to get a 3 seconds of knowing that they can't start the cap until it explodes (Or unless the person whom you threw it on force speeds away like a non-bad).

May I ask why you're dubbing yourself as a 'clicker'?

Quite frankly I really don't care about people being better than me or me being better than anyone, I play for enjoyment so don't take my question as being patronizing.

I'm not a "clicker" strictly speaking. I have been known to keybind as well. I never keybind certain things like the channeled heal or certain situational skills. I also play for enjoyment so no offense taken. I was just wondering about this because I have played a merc before and was wondering how the PT differs in terms of playstyle.

Well, I have both a 45 PT and a 50 Vanguard, and they are pretty up-in-your-face classes, and do do require alot of turning and movement if you wish to avoid dying so easily.

I myself use some keybinds, but really only for the main ones that I can reach with my left hand

1-5, Q E R F, and Shift+ E, R, F, and the occasional shift +3, 4

Basically I only have binds for the left hand sides of my action bars and just click stuff like shields, health buffs, defensive abilitys etc.

I'd say you'd still manage to play well, but you'd do better if you used keybinds.

You probably could. Pyro is an easy spec.

don't try to play AP, though. AP is an extremely mobile spec and it's only survivability comes from kiting. Sorry to sound a bit elite, but I'd say only good players can make the spec good.

As a poster above said, at least bind Rail Shot, Rocketpunch, Flame Burst, and thermal detonater.

It would also help to bind your interrupt for emergencies, and Rocket Blast is good for AoE instant ranged interrupt on people capping objectives.

Explosive dart is nice as it's a 3 second delayed Rocket Blast, use it right before you die to get a 3 seconds of knowing that they can't start the cap until it explodes (Or unless the person whom you threw it on force speeds away like a non-bad).

good suggestion, and nice signature.

I'm an AP and my main character is a Combat Sentinel. Both are high mobility melee ranged classes and couldn't imagine playing them as a "clicker".

I just had to reply and urge you use key bindings. It will make life a whole lot easier. I don't look down on "clickers" or anything like that and if you are use to it and enjoy it don't let anyone tell you you need to change.

The default binding are annoying and I recommend rebinding them to Q, E, R, T, G, C, X, Z, 1, 2, 3 and 4. Also use shift and alt modifiers. Frees up the mouse for movement and camera panning.

On topic: I would recommend trying to bind *at the very least* thermal detonator, rail shot, flameburst, and rocket punch.

These and probably the interrupt. That's not a lot of keybinds and anyone should become comfortable with that level of keybinding pretty quick.

Everything else could be "clicked" and you'll not be too far off a pure keybinder. Pyro doesn't really use all that many skills.

For PVP it is more important to keybind b/c you'll tend to be moving more. PVE is somewhat less critical, although binding and being comfortable with it will make you better/faster/more precise.

I once read something and liked it, "You can be a good player as clicker, but if you are good enough as clicker you would be a monster with keybinds." While playing PT-Pyro; I'm a hybrid clicker. The core skills are already less compared to other classes. I use the core skills with keybinds and rest clicky. For example, for aoe taunt i just click because its used when there is a pile of enemies on the other hand single taunt is on a keybind where I use whenever available on a target who is attacking to some1 else. And also the offensive skills, interrupt, pull etc are keybound.

I have 5 things bound to keys.

-throw the huttball

-auto run

-speeder

-set focus target

-acquire focus targets target

So I'm a clicker. I also don't care to talk about myself or want to come across like I'm the best PT around but when I enter into wz most ppl know who I am and I'm a priority target in rwz. So yes you can be a clicker and be good. I've had 650-730k games. However it's funny that I'm posting this because all the key bind peeps want me to try it so I'll be getting me one of those gamer keyboards.