Sandbox Feel

Grey_Ghost

I have heard people talk about Star Wars Galaxies (SWG) and the sandbox feel it had, and thought that would be a good idea for Star Wars The Old Republic (SWTOR). It would certainly give the community more involvment in the game with player made towns and a player based economy. If I am way off base let me know, but I think the community is looking for something like that in this game.

I have thought of some specifics to add to my post. I am just going to copy and paste what I wrote on another post to clarify my feelings on the matter and to save time.

"like the way class progression goes now and would not change a thing about it. I can play the game without worrying about grouping with the right people and without feeling like I am doing the same thing 100 times. I like story and immersion in my MMO. The only thing I want is a social side to things in the game, like cantina's, clubs, and other social places could have card games, swoop races, something of a social element to get the players to enjoy off time in the game. right now it seems like a rat-race of missions with no off time. I think adding deeper ship customizatilon, or player cities would help as well. I don't know how they could get the player cities isea off the ground, but at this point it is brain storming. I want the game to stay essentially the same, and have some sandbox elements to it."

It will never be sand box. It just wasn't meant to be KOTOR wasn't and neither will TOR.

Maybe you are right, they did say it was meant to be a sequal to the KOTOR series. Well the game is still fun the way it is. I just thought that some sandbox things would calm people down about the new content, but I left other MMOs because I felt lost in such a huge world and a community that did not want to help. I think you might have the truth of it.

I think there are some great sandbox type features. Something players won't ever really "beat" so they have something to mess around with when they're not pushing the latest content.

Systems that would get people interacting in ways that don't involve the same character combat you do all the time. Things like playing cards in a cantina against other players for a predetermined bet.

There are also the features that just get players to interact more deeply with the game world. Encouraging people to mess around a planet hunting for various random fluff rewards, non-character combat mechanics (like controlling turrets), puzzles, etc...

I personally don't like the ones that create persistent, potentially annoying changes in a game where you know there are plenty of people who just spend all day looking for a way to ruin another player's day. Being able to build things that impede other player's movements, etc... While it does make the world feel more player controlled, I'd rather the control of the game's content be left mostly in the hands of the people we're paying for the content.

Yeah that is what I was going for, something simple, yet productive to the immersion factor. If we require any major changes to be happy then I believe the game will have a split audience and will only hurt from it. Card games, joining a band to play a song, swoop bike races, and things of that sort seem to be a great addition to the games social scenes. Also, they have jukeboxes in some of the Cantina's why not put songs from the movie on the jukeboxes? The songs on them now are weird.