The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

What about tying in planet faction main bases Open World PvP?

Dawginole

My guild has been ransacking Imperial Bases on various planets the last few nights. It's been fun, but there really isn't any benefit to it other than killing a few Imps as they roll into the planets hanger bay.

I got to thinking how much more fun this would be if there was a simple objective that was added. It could be an Area objective in the farthest point into a factions base, generally the hanger bay. So if opposing faction players make it into that area they trigger the Area objective and would receive some type of reward.

Now there are two ways this could go at this point: 1) An individual reward; or, 2) A faction based reward.

1) The first type of reward would somehow only benefit those that got into the Area objective. It could be a currency bonus or maybe an across legacy 24hr xp bonus. The latter might be a nice addition to encourage Alt play. If one could get on their 50 and raid an enemy faction base, then they would acquire an xp bonus that could be used toward leveling their Alts.

The problem with the first option is that it doesn't necessarily encourage defense or PvP engagement. Why would the enemy faction care if their enemy had an xp bonus for their legacy. So they aren't encouraged to run to the planet with the ongoing battle to defend it. So...

2) To solve this problem I believe we could use incentives that affected the entire world across both factions. What if each planet had a non-faction npc representative from the Hutta Clan that would be accessible via a factions Fleet. Each one of these Hutta Clan npc's would represent a quality of life perk like xp bonus, or quick travel to that planet, or a boost to speeder speed, etc. If the Republic faction over took the Imperial factions base on that planet, then the Hutta Clan npc would appear on their factions fleet. If the Imperial faction later took the opposing factions base, the npc would leave the Republic Fleet and appear on the Imperial Fleet.

Final Considerations:

-The ideal would be for the bonuses to last 1 week and reset at the Tuesday morning server reset. It would then start over giving the rival faction that lost a planets npc Hutta representative that couldn't acquire it back the chance to go at it fresh.

-Losing key bonuses would encourage factions to band together and rush to a planet to defend their base so that they didn't lose their npc bonus they had earlier acquired.

-The bonuses could be simple for each planet specifically but multiply with more npc acquisitions. Say acquiring that planets npc by making it to the Area objective in the enemy factions base just gains a quick travel to that planet, but if a faction holds 5 npc's, the whole faction gains a speeder boost, for 10 held planets the whole faction gains 10% xp bonus, etc.

-Dailies and weeklies could easily be tied in with a daily achieved by over taking one enemy faction base, and a weekly achieved by say taking 5 enemy bases in the week.

-Option #1 and #2 could easily be tied in by awarding credits, a daily comm, or cartel coins to the individual and having the bonus to the entire faction.

I believe this would be a fun addition to the game. So add your feedback below.

Edited by Dawginole

Are you saying for PvP servers, or suggesting this for all servers?

Well you could do this with PvE servers if main bases were designated as world PvP areas. Some wouldn't like that I'm sure because they wouldn't like being ganked just trying to get to a planet and realizing there were 50's attacking their base.

The quick and simple solution would be that on PvE server, once in the area designated for world PvP, PvE server players would have to flag themselves as participants or they would not take damage from invading enemy players.

The only problem is the game engine. Once you get too many people involved, the game slows down to slide show. If they fix the engine then it's a good idea and I may even return to the game after my sub runs out. Of course, I'm not counting on them to fix it, but I'm not a very trusting person lol. Edited by RobNightfall

• 1 year later...

I just wanted to necro this 2 year old post to say to the SWTOR community, "You're welcome". I'd say roughly 90% of my idea was turned into Conquest. Though I know I will never get official credit for it, I will forever know in my heart.

Again, you're welcome.

I just wanted to necro this 2 year old post to say to the SWTOR community, "You're welcome". I'd say roughly 90% of my idea was turned into Conquest. Though I know I will never get official credit for it, I will forever know in my heart.

Again, you're welcome.

except their focus is warzone and not open world

which is only the title of your post and the only part most will read

but hey,

*golf clap*

big props:rolleyes: