Power vs Str augment

Astterion

Sure its been hashed out somewhere... but im not searching 5 million pages of posts lol. Anyhow, has a general consesus been decided about when to aug for power over str? Pve wise here, watchmen spec. Had heard something along the likes of 2k main stat then aug for power, is that with or without stim? Sage bufff? yadda yadda, any insight that the community has gathered would be appreciated.

Without going into the extreme details, the general consensus is that in a 1 to 1 comparison, strength > power. This may not be true once you get a high enough level of gear, but you'd have to have around 6000 strength (most common guess) before you reach that point (ie, in the current game it is always str > power).

You will find some people who swear the opposite is true, though. The reality is that the difference is pretty minor, but any OCD min/maxer shoudl probably use all Might Augments.

Without going into the extreme details, the general consensus is that in a 1 to 1 comparison, strength > power. This may not be true once you get a high enough level of gear, but you'd have to have around 6000 strength (most common guess) before you reach that point (ie, in the current game it is always str > power).

You will find some people who swear the opposite is true, though. The reality is that the difference is pretty minor, but any OCD min/maxer shoudl probably use all Might Augments.

I can't speak for pve, since i only pvp, but I went Power. Why? Because i read all the threads and i just wanted to be in the minority. lol. Honestly. I wanted to try the "weaker" augments just to see if there really is a discrepancy.

Regarding the quote above, I don't even know how one gets to 6000k strength. The highest strength I have ever seen is a little over 1700.

That being said, i have had no problems with power augs at all.

Edited by DarkkLoki

It's been said somewhere in this thread Str > power as it is currently

However even if you were to go all power augs over strength, the difference in overall damage would be only a few %.

There is a thread/post from LagunaD somewhere with all the graphs & details, but short version: strenght > power, but you'll never completely ruin your build by going the other way

Regarding the quote above, I don't even know how one gets to 6000k strength. The highest strength I have ever seen is a little over 1700.

Hehe, yes, 6000 strength is unattainable (6000k ie 600,000 strength is even less attainable :) ). I was merely using that to push my point that power is never better than strength. HOWEVER, as I said, the difference is pretty minor in the end.

Much appreciate the posts folks, currently sitting at 1916 unbuffed, and had heard that 2k main stat was the magic number in regards to swapping to power augs. Still have a little min maxing to do on my gear but am almost to the max potential on gear so was curious if anyone had any conclusive results. Had tested a slight amount with swapping augs out and yes, loose a little bonus damage by going with str augs, but as we all know str factors into more than just damage.

Unless you're serious about your min-maxing, it's power. Strength pulls ahead by a small margin because of the consular buff, and because when you stack it to a certain level you can reduce your active crit rating (I'm currently sitting at 145 crit and still have a 30% buffed/stimmed crit chance because my strength is stacked) and replace those mods/enhancements with power.

For PVP it's power regardless, because you won't be able to stack your strength high enough to make it the better choice.

You should absolutely put a str augment into every slot as a sent no matter what spec you play or wether you pve or pvp period. Its been hashed out very completely by LagunaD and if you cba to search through all the threads I guess thats your loss. As someone said above me the crit from str allows you to replace crit with power in much more important spots than your augments. I have currently on my pvp gear 1137 mainhand damage and 651 bonus damage every slot is filled with a str augment.

Unless you're serious about your min-maxing, it's power. Strength pulls ahead by a small margin because of the consular buff, and because when you stack it to a certain level you can reduce your active crit rating (I'm currently sitting at 145 crit and still have a 30% buffed/stimmed crit chance because my strength is stacked) and replace those mods/enhancements with power.

Huh? You say it's power, but then go on to explain why strength is better? I'm confused.

Also, there's no need to "reduce" your critical rating because of where your strength is. Critical rating is on a separate curve than strength when it comes to "crit chance" so unless you do not like the return you're getting from your crit rating stat, then there's no need to remove it just because you have a decent contribution from strength.

Yes, you certainly get to a point sooner or later when you'd rather take power over crit, but in my opinion that's a good 5-7% higher than 30%. Either way, the question was about strength vs. power augments, which the consensus answer has been strength.

Well, if every class in this game decided that power (a secondary attribute) was better than their primary attribute then something is seriously wrong with the combat system.

What we do know as best practice is that if a combat system causes confusion rather than clarity with the player base, BW as a collective thinktank didn't do a good job, or the person that designed this, wasn't exactly Einstein.

Huh? You say it's power, but then go on to explain why strength is better? I'm confused.

Also, there's no need to "reduce" your critical rating because of where your strength is. Critical rating is on a separate curve than strength when it comes to "crit chance" so unless you do not like the return you're getting from your crit rating stat, then there's no need to remove it just because you have a decent contribution from strength.

Yes, you certainly get to a point sooner or later when you'd rather take power over crit, but in my opinion that's a good 5-7% higher than 30%. Either way, the question was about strength vs. power augments, which the consensus answer has been strength.

As I said, unless you min-max your gear sets, power augments will give you a better return. The rationale for strength augmenting after I said that is based on min maxing gear. Bonus damage will get you more mileage than the little bit of extra crit if you're using the static BH or campaign sets

Edited by arkitip

As I said, unless you min-max your gear sets, power augments will give you a better return. The rationale for strength augmenting after I said that is based on min maxing gear. Bonus damage will get you more mileage than the little bit of extra crit if you're using the static BH or campaign sets

^ Maybe this is the reason for me. I don't play 20 hours a day to pull out the bestest best mods and such so I went power. I still have quite a few Strength mods lying around as I plan on swapping and such to test both.

Power is an illusion guys. Live with it!

Its not a choice for you to make at your whims and opinions, its how the DRs for other atrributes playoff within the limitations of a gear tier level and its specific mods.

You can only make this decision on balance once you have full 61 mod usage on every piece of gear, including bracers and belts. Some people at this level like 800 bonus damage and 23% crit rating, others like 500 bonus damage at 40% crit rating. it all balances out in the end.

Pure stats don't decide your value and real raid output, your play style, rotations and tree configuration does.

I can't speak for pve, since i only pvp, but I went Power. Why? Because i read all the threads and i just wanted to be in the minority. lol. Honestly. I wanted to try the "weaker" augments just to see if there really is a discrepancy.

That being said, i have had no problems with power augs at all.

TBH... with 12/14 str mods it gives you enough crit to replace a mod slot that has 39 crit rating on it with one that has 39 power. By doing this I gained 4 top end damage and still kept the 30% crit I wanted.

Playing around with ask mr robot helps a ton.

Power is an illusion guys. Live with it!

Its not a choice for you to make at your whims and opinions, its how the DRs for other atrributes playoff within the limitations of a gear tier level and its specific mods.

You can only make this decision on balance once you have full 61 mod usage on every piece of gear, including bracers and belts. Some people at this level like 800 bonus damage and 23% crit rating, others like 500 bonus damage at 40% crit rating. it all balances out in the end.

Pure stats don't decide your value and real raid output, your play style, rotations and tree configuration does.

However, stats give you higher potential damage, which is why it should always be a good idea to optimize them. Also, hence the dozens of threads which argue for power or strength - or even the occasional crit.

LagunaD posted some calculations for Combat which I currently use for myself, and am trying to adapt them to Watchman. With my total crit% hitting as high as 40 - 45% in warzones and even higher in PvE because of auto-crits and Juyo form, I suspect crit rating is around 15% depressed for Watchman sents.

But on the main subject, I'm still going to advocate strength.

Keep note that all things being equal, the extra crit you gain from strength can be exchanged at a ratio with power. Say for example you gain 1.5% crit rating from strength at the cost of lower power. If you decide to switch out a crit mod for power, that would be the same as not using strength at all and going all power.

This would be still equal if it weren't for one thing: the 5% Sage buff, further compounded by the 5% Knight buff. I'll post calculations when I get back from work, but really, the difference is marginal, and should have no more than a 5 point increase in damage.

Edited by -Yui-

I've been running with mostly Power augments, and decided to run a few tests on my ship's combat dummy. Each test was 5 minutes long, and I popped Inspiration once per test (except one where I forgot, which I note below).

Here are my results:

PVE TESTS ON OPERATIONS DUMMY: Mix of Rakata, Campaign, Black Hole.

Test 1: 11 Power Augs, 3 Strength Augs. Total DPS: 1471

Test 2: 8 Power Augs, 6 Strength Augs. Total DPS: 1424 (BUT forgot Inspiration. Whoops!)

Test 3: 14 Power Augs, 0 Strenght Augs. Total DPS: 1541

In this final configuration, my stats were 1777 Strength, 1227 Power. My mainhand hits for 993-1155, Force Bonus is 1004.8, Crit is 26.43%, and Crit Multiplier is 78.37%.

PVP TESTS ON WARZONE DUMMY: Mix of War Hero, Battlemaster (because I can't stand the War Hero belt!)

Test 1: 12 Power Augs, 2 Strength Augs. Total DPS: 1625

Test 2: 14 Power Augs, 0 Strength Augs. Total DPS: 1672 (BUT got a little distracted by Guildchat, which threw off my concentration and rotation for a few seconds!)

In this final configuration, my stats were 1520 Strength, 1090 Power. My mainhand hits for 907-1069, Force Bonus is 926.9, Crit is 26.95%, and Crit Multiplier is 72.88%.

You can show me all the math you want... I think I'll stick with my Power Augments! At least for me, they're clearly the way to go. Even switching two of them out made a noticeable difference!

(By the way, can someone illuminate the difference between the Warzone and Operations Dummies? It would be interesting to run this test with my PVP gear on the Ops Dummy, just to compare... Perhaps tomorrow!)

Edited by JWinkler

^^^

That's pretty interesting, and thanks for taking the time to do that.

One thing I have noticed when doing ops dummy tests, is that I seldom consistently get the same dps even when doing a 5 minute test.

When I was trying to decide over a +power PvP relic over a 30% internal damage relic I did 4 different 5-minute tests in a row before changing gear. With the 30% change damage I got

1564 dps

1601 dps

1442 dps

1582 dps

With the +power relic I got

1472 dps

1555 dps

1629 dps

1502 dps

Those are some wild variations. When I averaged everything together I decided the +power relic had the advantage. But had I only done 1 test each it wouldn't have looked that way.

Wow, I figured 5 minutes was enough to iron out any inconsistencies in my own performance, but your numbers suggest I should either do more tests or go for longer! Will post more after some more tests, but probably won't remod again... At 15k to remove a single mod, it starts adding up!