The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

All things AdvProto: PvE Guide and Discussion.

AshPrime

Im currently spec'd into AP for probably the 6th time. My respec cost is around 50k. I've ran shieldtech and pyro on and off again as well. I level to 31 in warzones, i may have done 10 quest, besides the starting zone ones, the whole game. Im a gladiator at level 31 so Ive had some experience with all the builds. I feel like we are a little underpowered vvs the other specs. As shieldtech I feel invincible, it takes 3 guys to take me down. As Pyro I just straight up merc people with the damage. As AP i still feel as squishy as a pyro but I swear my Shieldtech puts out more damage. Im using the rotations mentioned above but to no avail. Are we late bloomers with Immolate? About ready to go back shieldtech but I love the playstyle of APs and I want to stay AP. Just feel like we need some buffs. Is it just me? My friend is an assassin and can drop two gold mobs in the time it takes me to drop one. What am I doing wrong or do we need a buff? Edited by Hurpd
subscribing

In PvE you dont really need Electro Surge. If you need to stun a mob tell Mako to do it when your Dart is down. Hitman is way better in PvE. You can pretty much perma lock out an ability on a mob with it.

Saying Flame Barrage is useless is just not well informed. Every little bit of heat counts once you get into longer fights. It saves you one or two Rapid Shots.

Shame that Kolto Vents is such an useless skill. If it were better i could see me dropping the point in Power Armor for it.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hMhZMsRrRrfk0sZb.1

An AP is more of a support class in PvP. You interrupt, carry the ball the last few meters, grapple someone away, you lower the damage of others with your taunts and your Flameburst. Because of the constant 15% speed increase you you move around a lot on the battlefield.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301G0hZMsRrRrckbsZb.1

Not taking Advanced Tools in either PvE or PVP is just stupid. Getting to use a 5 Stack Flame Thrower 2 GCDs earlier is very strong and be able to grapple more people in PvP is very strong as well.

So I'm deciding to give AP a whirl for a few days mostly because the frontloaded burst of pyro is causing some not so entertaining dirt naps from pulling threat from tanks lol.

My biggest concern is to do with fight mechanics though. From my experiences running HM flashpoints since i hit 50 (4 days ago) there seems to be a hell of a lot of encounters that are

1) Run away from boss as he does x (revan, jedi padawan in BT)

2) Knockbacks or boss teleporting elsewhere (hk-47, malgus, sith entity)

3) 'Fire' that is bad to stand in and requires much movement (anything that drops a plasma probe, revan meteors)

4) Adds that spawn across the room and must be swapped to

I'm wondering how you AP folks deal with these and the fact that these mechanics give pyro a distinct advantage. The superior range damage of thermal, IM, rail shot (whilst AP has this its DoT to proc it is melee vs IM's 30m range) and the fact that rapid shots can proc CGC vs AP's only ranged being rapid shots... maybe throwing in some darts seems like it would hurt swapping to far spawning adds or constantly having the boss out of melee range either due to you or it moving.

If the boss requires heavy movement due to bad crap on the floor it also hurts AP again due to a heavy chunk of damage being via flamethrower.

As i said going to give it a decent try as the last time i played around as AP was pre lvl 40 without immolate so I don't really have basis for a good comparison but these issues seem to jump out at me as potential problems and I'm wondering if you guys find this as the case?