PVP Gear for Commando

Voxx_Mythos

So I have run into a little dilemma....I have been reading everyone's take on what is the best PVP Gear for a gunnery specd commando, and what stats that they should shoot for. Thus far everybody has said that Eliminator is the best gear for a gunnery commando and that he/she should focus on crit, surge, and aim. My question is why? I have been looking into the eliminator gear and it houses mostly power, surge, aim or accuracy, whereas combat medic or combat tech gear (some pieces) stack all three aim, surge, and crit.

I currently have nearly a full set of battlemaster combat medic gear, some comms, and all of the stuff to craft some rakata, but I have no idea what i should start stock piling.

Is eliminator really the way I should go? Why do I rarely see ppl talking about the combat tech gear? Is it better to mix and match the equipment and loose the buffs from having a complete set?

If anyone has played with this stuff enough to know what the best gear is for a PVP gunnery commando I would appreciate your input.

Thanx,

Voxx

First off, for gearing up a Gunnery Commando, I disagree with the claim that everybody says

...that he/she should focus on crit, surge, and aim.

There is some lively discussion, but I believe the consensus for Gunnery Commando is to focus on aim, and for PvP gear you also need expertise. Accuracy, crit, and power can help, but not as much as aim, which is the commando's primary stat.

The reason,it is the effect that the stats have on the damage you do and the damage you receive. You get more payoff for aim than for the other stats.

In PvP, the expertise differential between you and your opponent affects damage delivered and received.

Cheers!

Some of the basics.

Beyond 35% buffed(sniper crit buff) crit rating has severe diminishing returns.

Beyond 70-80% crit multiplier surge has severe diminishing returns.

Power adds .008 more bonus damage per point(after accounting for the 5% main stat buff) than main stat(this margin is wider for healers) while main stat adds a very very small amount to crit. So Power vs main stat isn't really a big deal.

Accuracy on the other hand is a bit of a conundrum. The numbers I usually hear thrown around are 100% acc for most classes, 110% for those who dual wield. Accuracy allegedly reduces defenses when stacked above 100%(and for dual wielders it helps with their offhand) but we really have no idea how much that is.

Wow, again, very confusing on what makes a good set. I guess the next question would be, what should all of my stats be set at to have the most dmging affect?

Thus far I have crit no more than 35% (where I have read elsewhere that crit should be around 70%)

Surge 70%

Aim 100% or more

Power unlimited b/c each point add .008 per hit?

Thanx for the input guys, and if anyone wants to add they are more than welcome, bc in what I have read thus far no one has truly laid out what you should try to set ur stats as as an gunnery commando. (post 1.3 that is)

You want the 4 piece set bonus from Eliminator for increased crit on Hib. I took the combat tech helmet for the better stats. In terms of augments, they should all be Aim (as Aim is slightly better than power when you take into account the slight bonus to crit and the significant talented and buffed % bonuses to Aim).

Of note, you will need lots of extra pieces of WH gear to fully optimize your gear.

Fully buffed and stim'd, my guy has around 2000 Aim, just over 750 power, 37.5% crit, 77% surg, 98% ish accuracy and 1210 ish expertise. If I swap my power crystal for an Exp crystal, I sacrifice a small amount of dps for a small gain in survivability. Personal choice. Also, you have to sacrifice some End to get power that high, as a Commando, but I still have 19.2K hitpoints or so.

I have orange belt and bracers with level 26 armoring and pvp mods. This sacrifices Exp for relatively huge stat increases.

I should add that, as many know, there are separate diminishing returns for the crit bonus obtained from Aim and from the crit stat itself. This was more relevant pre 1.3 when our ammo regen was tied more to crit but still is something to keep in mind.

In terms of WH relics, you want two of the power ones. In terms of the ear piece and implants, you want the ones with accuracy. The accuracy implants come with like 80 power or something. This allows you to have a reasonably high enough accuracy and have more flexibility in terms of raises the other stats with mod/enhancement swaps.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Yogurttt

You want the 4 piece set bonus from Eliminator for increased crit on Hib. I took the combat tech helmet for the better stats. In terms of augments, they should all be Aim (as Aim is slightly better than power when you take into account the slight bonus to crit and the significant talented and buffed % bonuses to Aim).

Of note, you will need lots of extra pieces of WH gear to fully optimize your gear.

Fully buffed and stim'd, my guy has around 2000 Aim, just over 750 power, 37.5% crit, 77% surg, 98% ish accuracy and 1210 ish expertise. If I swap my power crystal for an Exp crystal, I sacrifice a small amount of dps for a small gain in survivability. Personal choice. Also, you have to sacrifice some End to get power that high, as a Commando, but I still have 19.2K hitpoints or so.

I have orange belt and bracers with level 26 armoring and pvp mods. This sacrifices Exp for relatively huge stat increases.

I should add that, as many know, there are separate diminishing returns for the crit bonus obtained from Aim and from the crit stat itself. This was more relevant pre 1.3 when our ammo regen was tied more to crit but still is something to keep in mind.

In terms of WH relics, you want two of the power ones. In terms of the ear piece and implants, you want the ones with accuracy. The accuracy implants come with like 80 power or something. This allows you to have a reasonably high enough accuracy and have more flexibility in terms of raises the other stats with mod/enhancement swaps.

Hope this helps.

Pretty much all this. Combat Tech set bonuses don't really help us that much, and once you get Battlemaster Eliminator's you're probably better off saving for War Hero than you are trying to grind a second Batlemaster set for the mods.

Given that you will almost always have the +5 crit buff, I would say your goal should be about 48 to 50% tech crit chance when buffed. I know this will lower the max aim you will have ( I think mine is like 1650 with rakata stim ) you just can't argue with the increased DPS of crit. I think each +16 aim augment gives about +4 to your base damage (and any other ability dmg ) plus a negligible amount of crit. At like 490 total crit, I am still adding about .6% crit chance for each +16 crit augment. So, let's say you put in 4 aim augments, you will, over 100 attacks, do about 1600 more damage, and almost certainly never more. However if you go 4 crit augments, you will crit at least 2 more times in the same 100 attacks, and even if those are on 1000 dmg attacks, you will do 2000 more damage... If you crit HiB or plasma grenade or mortar volley though... Welll you are talking 4000+ more damage. Finally being that PvP is so dependent on burst and not steady damage, I think maxing crit is the way to go. That being said, at this point I am about 40/60 Battlemaster/warhero, with augs on every slot, and I have not messed with any of the mods in the eliminator pieces except for main hand weapon, in which I popped a +41 crit crystal, and my buffed tech crit is 47% (with goal of reaching 50% once full war hero)

I should add I am assault spec'd but I would I imagine with gunnery's focus on grav round/demo round, I would think crit might even be more important given that oh so important finishing hit of demo round....

Edited by iamef

After you reach the following stats my advice would be to stack power as it gives a you a little bit more bang for your buck than aim:

30% crit unbuffed

75% crit multiplier

100% ranged accuracy and 110% tech accuracy

I would recommend setting up an ask mr.robot profile and creating your character their. You can follow the link in my sig to see what I mean. You change whole pieces of gear and the mods around to help see what will boost your stats the most.

Sadly you are all wrong

you should never use gunnery for pvp, you're just bringing your team down and really are not worth having in the group.

either go heals or use assault for dps, which sadly is still a pretty crummy dps spec seeing as vang's is much better.

so, either go heals or roll a new toon :):cool:

Edited by eavn

power is more reliable dmg crit even stacked is still rng to crit and ya assault is amazing dmg so I would go with that plus you can snare people with your burns I would say 75% surge 30% ranged crit then everything else in power and like 100% range acc I would also go with the higher power mods rather then the higher aim cause they have more stats for dmg in them just because the high aim ones take away power and aim for more end so the higher power mod is better

Given that you will almost always have the +5 crit buff, I would say your goal should be about 48 to 50% tech crit chance when buffed. I know this will lower the max aim you will have ( I think mine is like 1650 with rakata stim ) you just can't argue with the increased DPS of crit. I think each +16 aim augment gives about +4 to your base damage (and any other ability dmg ) plus a negligible amount of crit. At like 490 total crit, I am still adding about .6% crit chance for each +16 crit augment. So, let's say you put in 4 aim augments, you will, over 100 attacks, do about 1600 more damage, and almost certainly never more. However if you go 4 crit augments, you will crit at least 2 more times in the same 100 attacks, and even if those are on 1000 dmg attacks, you will do 2000 more damage... If you crit HiB or plasma grenade or mortar volley though... Welll you are talking 4000+ more damage. Finally being that PvP is so dependent on burst and not steady damage, I think maxing crit is the way to go. That being said, at this point I am about 40/60 Battlemaster/warhero, with augs on every slot, and I have not messed with any of the mods in the eliminator pieces except for main hand weapon, in which I popped a +41 crit crystal, and my buffed tech crit is 47% (with goal of reaching 50% once full war hero)

I should add I am assault spec'd but I would I imagine with gunnery's focus on grav round/demo round, I would think crit might even be more important given that oh so important finishing hit of demo round....

All the PVE min/max math people say you're wrong, and you better believe those people are interested in getting the most out of their stat points. Also you'll almost certainly hit diminishing returns on crit rating long before you ever get within spitting distance of 48-50% crit chance.

Now for Assault the 4 piece set bonus can easily bump your HiB crit rate up to 50-55% which is the source of your main burst and Tech Crit is rather easy to get in the low 40s through talents.

So I have run into a little dilemma....I have been reading everyone's take on what is the best PVP Gear for a gunnery specd commando, and what stats that they should shoot for. Thus far everybody has said that Eliminator is the best gear for a gunnery commando and that he/she should focus on crit, surge, and aim. My question is why? I have been looking into the eliminator gear and it houses mostly power, surge, aim or accuracy, whereas combat medic or combat tech gear (some pieces) stack all three aim, surge, and crit.

I currently have nearly a full set of battlemaster combat medic gear, some comms, and all of the stuff to craft some rakata, but I have no idea what i should start stock piling.

Is eliminator really the way I should go? Why do I rarely see ppl talking about the combat tech gear? Is it better to mix and match the equipment and loose the buffs from having a complete set?

If anyone has played with this stuff enough to know what the best gear is for a PVP gunnery commando I would appreciate your input.

Thanx,

Voxx

Take your BM armoring from 2 pieces and put them in the corrosponding Tionese pieces which are cheap...then but WH Mod, and Enhancement in them...this Gets you an extra 15% crit on grav round/ Tracer Missle for Arse and Gunnery...Its much better then the 15% Hib/ Rail **** crit bonus...thats more a Pyro thing. It really only works for now eventually the armor deficit will become to large as new tiers come out...and WH Armoring and later above over write the shell bonus.

Beyond that go 35% crit 70 to 75% surge then stack power...you can go aim as well but the common is to stack power.....Thats pretty much it.