The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Appropriate amount of crit for pvp

Aelaias

With a 5/7 mix of war hero/bm with all aim augments and my buffed crit rate is around 33%. I find that completely inadequate because even with battle focus up too often both AP and hib will not crit. Comparing to what better equpped pyros can pull off I feel something is amiss. I am currently specced thus

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801hMbZ0cZfhMbdGGMs.2

Replaced a couple of aim augments with crit augs. With exotech reflex stim aim is 1825, bonus damage 523, crit 34.5. I want to get buffed crit to 37-38. Reasonable? Perhaps stick with a couple of bm combat medic implants?

Edited by Aelaias

With a 5/7 mix of war hero/bm with all aim augments and my buffed crit rate is around 33%. I find that completely inadequate because even with battle focus up too often both AP and hib will not crit. Comparing to what better equpped pyros can pull off I feel something is amiss. I am currently specced thus

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801hMbZ0cZfhMbdGGMs.2

Replaced a couple of aim augments with crit augs. With exotech reflex stim aim is 1825, bonus damage 523, crit 34.5. I want to get buffed crit to 37-38. Reasonable? Perhaps stick with a couple of bm combat medic implants?

a few questions... 1) do you want to keep AP? 2) are you looking to increase your crit to max your HiB/AP combo burst? 3) are you open to alternate builds that will increase crit without AP?

a few questions... 1) do you want to keep AP? 2) are you looking to increase your crit to max your HiB/AP combo burst? 3) are you open to alternate builds that will increase crit without AP?

I do want to keep AP at this juncture and yes to #2. I am not sure how the alternative builds would work in view of my far from complete equipment setup but there in no harm in experimenting.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801bMZMsZfhrbzGhrs.2

this spec will probably drop your overall dps, but will add 3% crit to the attacks you use in your combo. you will have higher burst, but will suffer in drawn out fights.

watch my live stream replays under the video section. I run this build http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801hMbZMsZfhrbzGhMc.2

i am typically the top dps, unless i am defending. i still crush people, but I have the ability to end fights on my term. i just decide how much ammo i want to use. The HiB/AP combo is great, but if the rebound from it, it leaves you vulnerable.

Thanks. I understand you run an unusual armor combo, did you try this spec in wh? Also, is HIB considered to be a tech attack?

I eventually evolved to this spec for rateds. The amount of mitigation was silly in rateds, so that cut down some of the burst. I did try this spec out in War Hero and it worked well. I eventually min/maxed my gear to fit my play style.

I used the Battle Master Armoring so i could keep the PvE set bonus. The rest consists of War Hero mods and enhancements. I tweaked my mods for increased power as well. My Tech crit is 35.51%. My highest Crit is 6500. My ranged crit is 28.58%, but my 8% damage increase to HiB and Battle Focus increase helps supplement my lower ranged crit.

HiB is a ranged attack, but AP is Tech.

I tried the first build, my crit rate actually went down due to loss of aim.

you should have lost some ranged crit, but gained some tech crit because crit you spec into negates diminishing returns. hmmmm.... you may be at an impasse until you get a chance to tweak you gear.

I totally agree with Basileus on this. I run pretty much the same spec he does in min/maxed (pretty much, I'm using the reflex armoring 25s rather than 26s in the belt and bracer) WH gear. Although his HIBs are going to be a bit higher than most, you can still crit for over 5k with just the modded WH. Running this build, my aim is around 1940, ranged crit is around 32.5-33.0, tech crit is around 37-38 and my power is 600. I'm almost always top damage. One thing else to note about this build is that you get Burnout. I've ran a non-ap with and without this. I can tell a difference between the two. Although you want to concentrate on burning targets down, you should also drop a random dot in there from time to time. A build like this offers stronger dots so they actually can make a difference in a fight. I just took the time to watch a bit of Bisileus' vids and it seems as though he does the same thing. To sum it up, run AP if you don't have BM+, then you can play around with non-AP builds. In my opinion, you need some gear to support a build like this and still have the burst capabilities.