Few things I'd like to see in Open Space SWTOR - wall of text.

Mirthadrond

Just a wall of text, outlining what I’d love to see in an open space combat SWTOR.

Space Combat Overview

Each ship has a set number of hard-points that can be slotted with craft specific gear. For example: Only scout craft can equip mine packs, so only scouts will have the option to install the mine dropper.

In addition, each ship will have a limited amount of cargo space for storing extra munitions, afterburner fuel, counter-measures, missiles, probes or mines.

Player experience.

Any player can fly any class of ship, but all experience is class specific to the craft you are flying/in.

Player can gain XP for each of the specific pilot classes, as you gain levels this opens additional hard-points for that class. For example: Scout Pilot Janus hits level 2, earns an additional hardpoint slot on her scout ship, and can now equip the ‘sensor mod’ for an additional 5% scan range.

Pilot Classes:

1: Scout - Nimble, very high speed, light armor, reconnaissance and defensive roll. Possible load-outs: FF missiles, Dumbfire missiles, short range ammo based weapon, mine packs, sensor probes, kolto-fusion repair weapon, light speed jump probes, countermeasures, FF mine packs, pulse probes (anti stealth). Equipped with Strong Sensors.

Roll - (Healer / Recon) – when equipped with the kolto-fusion repair cannon, the scout craft can repair friendly ships, in space. Can drop sensor probes (limited range, limited time, radar probes), drop jump probes for quick response fighters / bombers to skip entire sectors of space. (limited timer, high signature)

2: Starfighter – med cruse speed, med armor, limited afterburner for quick response. Can make light speed jumps. Possible load outs: med range laser battery, FF & Dumbfire missiles, countermeasures, after burner fuel. Can equip ion lasers (more shield damage). Med sensors.

Roll – quick response defensive/offensive role. (DPS)

3: Interceptor – heavy fighter craft. Short range, high damage, ammo based weapon/s (auto cannons), slow cruise speed, slow turn radius, heavy thrusters give these craft the fastest top speed of all craft at the expense of maneuverability, limited range of effectiveness. Load-out: extra fuel, countermeasures, extra ammo. Weak sensors.

Roll: Limited range means these ships are ideal for defense. (DPS)

4: Stealth Fighter – Very light armor, high speed, low maneuverability , stealth capabilities (limited power reserve), low ship signature, long range sniper style laser cannons, LRM missiles, counter measures, med sensors.

5: Cruiser - Light frigate – Very slow, Very heavy armor, photon torpedoes (base killers), 2 weapon turrets (manned by players), 1 scrambler missile battery. Load out: weapon turrets, extra anti-base missiles, extra countermeasures, extra scrambler missiles. Roll – anti base bomber (TANK). (scrambler missiles basically work like a taunt. A ship hit will have it’s sensors scrambled so they can only target the bomber/frigate, for a period of time. Strong sensors.

6: Commander – Essentially the OP’s leader. They are responsible for building new bases, coordinating the team, gathering resources. Can fly like other players. Can command from within a ship, but some command functions will be limited. ( For example, cannot change the final build destination of a base building droid unless you can see it.) Commander will conduct ‘research’ during the match, to upgrade various elements of the teams abilities. For example: Stronger missiles, stronger lasers, stronger bases, faster building bases, faster resource droids,….etc..etc… This research is ‘match specific’. Benefits will expire once the match ends or the research (base) is destroyed. Research is paid for by gathering resources in space. (Launching resource collecting miner droids.). These construction / mining droids must be defended, since they are vulnerable to attack.

The intent of the class diversity is to encourage ‘objective’ based PVP. Base building, defending, attacking, should be a major part of any engagement, but team death match / search and destroy matches are certainly possible.

Most matches should encompass multiple sectors of space to encourage more tactical engagements.

See link in my sig these are covered in that suggestion plus many many other space features, also ships can be done but would just require that you can only do specific missions in main ship or main rooms on alternate ships to have the same design as your main ship. Edited by Shingara

While a good idea your ship classes would not work as in this game we are stuck with one ship, so space needs to focus on upgrading this ship.

Indeed, but the way they are 'now' we'd all be playing the exact same role; fighter pilot. While.. that would be fun, a more strategic objective/team based pvp space game, would be more fun. imho.

These 'pilot' roles are outside your main character class, but I think it's interesting that a 'tank' player could play the role of a 'healer' scout pilot. If they wanted.

Edited by Mirthadrond

See link in my sig these are covered in that suggestion plus many many other space features, also ships can be done but would just require that you can only do specific missions in main ship or main rooms on alternate ships to have the same design as your main ship.

Nice ideas in that thread. I think the main difference, is constuction/mining droids are NPC/Commander controlled, rather than player piloted. Bombers/Frigates - player piloted, players manning the gun turrets.

Of course, you could always incorporate 'heavy' of each of the fighter classes, and allow a 'gunner' to sit in one of the upgraded hard points. Might be fun. (pilot / copilot)

Not sure how useful a thread like this is, but the urge to write these ideas down and post them was pretty strong. I'm still hoping the 'big space project' they were working on, wasn't the 10 new 'on rails' missions they revealed recently.

They could add even more to this with Guild capital ships. Or any capital ships for that matter. You'd have this huge battle with i don't know say a 100 people. You'd have the capital ships and different roles on that as well as different fighters. The commander role would be filled by the capital ship's captain. And you'd have positions on the ship like engineers, people that fire the turrets, you could have a med bay, etc. Although I guess this is something for a different topic. Woops! :D

Nice ideas in that thread. I think the main difference, is constuction/mining droids are NPC/Commander controlled, rather than player piloted. Bombers/Frigates - player piloted, players manning the gun turrets.

Of course, you could always incorporate 'heavy' of each of the fighter classes, and allow a 'gunner' to sit in one of the upgraded hard points. Might be fun. (pilot / copilot)

Not sure how useful a thread like this is, but the urge to write these ideas down and post them was pretty strong. I'm still hoping the 'big space project' they were working on, wasn't the 10 new 'on rails' missions they revealed recently.

It does include gunners, but it also includes co pilot seat, a person who heals and repairs the shields/hull in a multi person craft. It incorperates the use of companions when players arnt there and the call ability to let your companions use your spare sinlge person ships to come and assist you on a big cooldown.

Edited by Shingara

They could add even more to this with Guild capital ships. Or any capital ships for that matter. You'd have this huge battle with i don't know say a 100 people. You'd have the capital ships and different roles on that as well as different fighters. The commander role would be filled by the capital ship's captain. And you'd have positions on the ship like engineers, people that fire the turrets, you could have a med bay, etc. Although I guess this is something for a different topic. Woops! :D

Absolutely!!

You can easily build upon this mechanic to create larger and more complex battles involving as many players as the engine can support. That would be EPIC!!!

It does include gunners, but it also includes co pilot seat, a person who heals and repairs the shields/hull in a multi person craft. It incorperates the use of companions when players arnt there and the call ability to let your companions use your spare sinlge person ships to come and assist you on a big cooldown.

I just want to keep any 1 craft from becoming 'too' powerful. A bomber/frigate with 'good' gunners, is going to be a difficult target to take down, more so if we give them a 'healer' on board.

Basically - I don't want a bomber/frigate flying around soloing everything/everyone. They 'have' to have support to survive a team assault. In other words, 3 Interceptor craft would make short work of a solo bomber.

When we get into capitol ships or larger craft / stations, then by all means, add more crew positions.

But now we're getting into MAJOR EPIC space wars, which is quite ambitious.

Bomber pilots can 'taunt' fighters and prevent them from targeting scouts/fighter support, but that doesn't prevent skilled pilots from manually shooting these support craft, just targeting anyone other than the bomber/frigate for a period of time.

I wanted to keep the role of 'healer' outside of the 'objective' ship, so their (healer) piloting skills become a factor in performance/survival. You aren't just a passenger pushing buttons.

This also allows the scout to be more than just a 'healer' ship, they can swap roles between recon / repair, on demand. Limited by what you've preloaded in your ship.