What sort of dps should I be doing?

feday

I'm pulling around 1300 sustained (forever if needed) on the ops dummy with my current Lethality spec. I'm wondering if that's low for the gear I have, or if all the others that post numbers are just exaggerating. Somehow I seem to end up with lower dps when doing full MM??

My Leth rotation is: CG CD WB Cull SoS Ambush Cull -> repeat

Gear: http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/0cedc4c6-bc18-481c-b0ff-2bb51a1953b7

Please rip it apart so I can do more :)

Edited by feday

According to the forum, if you'r enot doing 2000 dps, you're a failure and should delete your character :-P

Add Orbital Strike into your rotation. Get rid of all the alacricity, and turn it into surge. You will want a lot more power as well.

Long story short you should be close to 1500+ in that gear.

Biggest problems with your gear atm are:

1~ You only have 64% crit multiplier, this should be 76 (25% from surge rating 1% from companion bonus) this is your highest dps stat until you hit the soft cap and you're missing 11% from rating 12% when you including the companion bonus. Luckily you have worthless alacrity on your gear, so you can simply get rid of all of that and convert it to surge and you should be fine!

2~ Your spec is wrong. This: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#400bZbIZGbbkrMGdhR.2 should be your spec, there is no good pve sniper spec that doesn't include explosive engineering. Anyone who tells you otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about. Explosive engineering is a 15% dmg increase to corrosive grenade, orbital strike, and explosive probe. For the love of all things you'd be insane not to want that.

3~ You have too much crit, crit should be sitting at around 250-300 crit rating. BiS gear atm has 285 crit rating in full campaign. You need to trade a bit of your crit rating for power.

4~ Your mods are all kinds of messed up! You should only ever use high secondary stat mods NOT high mainstat mods. In BiS campaign level gear you literally have nothing but advanced artful mod 26 in every single piece. Which would be advanced artful mod 25 for rakata or 24 for columi level mods.

5~ You have high endurance enhancements! I don't think I need to explain why that's bad!

6~ You're using your matrix cube instead of x2 war hero boundless ages relics!

Ultimately in "BiS" gear your unbuffed stats should be roughly:

~ 2103 cunning

~ 140 aim (datacrons datacrons datacrons)

~ 843 power

~ 285 surge rating

~ 295 crit rating

~ 285 accuracy rating

I'm pulling 1880 consistently on a dummy with those stats. So try to keep your ratings close to exactly those for surge / crit / accuracy, and then you should see power and cunning go up as you get more and more gear. One of the biggest upgrades you can give yourself right now is to farm the comms for a war hero sniper rifle. The war hero barrel is better than the rakata barrel due to rating increases. The tech bonus dmg rating difference makes up for the cunning loss (it is actually a 1 or 2 bonus dmg increase) and then the primary damage goes up significantly! Its a really easy (though time consuming) piece to get and will be your second best in slot until you can get your campaign barrel.

Opening rotation is CG > SS > CD > OS > WB(During wb gcd I cast adrenal / laze target / target acquired) > Cull > SOS > snipe > adrenaline probe > cull > explosive probe > cg > cd > wb > Cull etc etc etc

Personally I haven't found a good place for ambush in my rotation and found it to be a dps loss every time I tried to work it in. Sims etc are showing ambush as part of your typical rotation, I still haven't been able to work it in without a dps loss I typically just auto attack or snipe energy permitting (and everything else on cd). You shouldn't be afraid to auto attack during your rotation as keeping energy over 90 makes life easy in lethality.

aaand lastly I've never seen a MM dummy parse come anywhere close to a Lethality dummy parse in live situation. According to the sims MM is slightly behind, Between me and one other exceptional sniper I run with neither one of us could pull higher than 1770 on a 5 minute parse in marksman. I can consistently get 1880 in lethality, sometimes decently breaking 1900 depending on crit luck.

Hope this helps!

More or less what Shecrazy said

You need to make orbital strikes work for you.

1. Get the PvP 2 set bonus for your pve gear. Best way to do that is get a battlemaster shell (i actually had a champion one) like gloves and head. Put blackhole armoring into it. Your orbital strike will do 33% more damage

2. Time with OS any sort of damage buffs: relics, adrenals: first cast OS, then when it is about to land use your adrenals and start normal DPS rotation. You will squeeze extra juice from your relics/adrenals this way, because you have OS running and normal abilities at increased power.

Edited by NoTomorrow

Long story short you should be close to 1500+ in that gear.

Biggest problems with your gear atm are:

1~ You only have 64% crit multiplier, this should be 76 (25% from surge rating 1% from companion bonus) this is your highest dps stat until you hit the soft cap and you're missing 11% from rating 12% when you including the companion bonus. Luckily you have worthless alacrity on your gear, so you can simply get rid of all of that and convert it to surge and you should be fine!

2~ Your spec is wrong. This: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#400bZbIZGbbkrMGdhR.2 should be your spec, there is no good pve sniper spec that doesn't include explosive engineering. Anyone who tells you otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about. Explosive engineering is a 15% dmg increase to corrosive grenade, orbital strike, and explosive probe. For the love of all things you'd be insane not to want that.

3~ You have too much crit, crit should be sitting at around 250-300 crit rating. BiS gear atm has 285 crit rating in full campaign. You need to trade a bit of your crit rating for power.

4~ Your mods are all kinds of messed up! You should only ever use high secondary stat mods NOT high mainstat mods. In BiS campaign level gear you literally have nothing but advanced artful mod 26 in every single piece. Which would be advanced artful mod 25 for rakata or 24 for columi level mods.

5~ You have high endurance enhancements! I don't think I need to explain why that's bad!

6~ You're using your matrix cube instead of x2 war hero boundless ages relics!

Ultimately in "BiS" gear your unbuffed stats should be roughly:

~ 2103 cunning

~ 140 aim (datacrons datacrons datacrons)

~ 843 power

~ 285 surge rating

~ 295 crit rating

~ 285 accuracy rating

I'm pulling 1880 consistently on a dummy with those stats. So try to keep your ratings close to exactly those for surge / crit / accuracy, and then you should see power and cunning go up as you get more and more gear. One of the biggest upgrades you can give yourself right now is to farm the comms for a war hero sniper rifle. The war hero barrel is better than the rakata barrel due to rating increases. The tech bonus dmg rating difference makes up for the cunning loss (it is actually a 1 or 2 bonus dmg increase) and then the primary damage goes up significantly! Its a really easy (though time consuming) piece to get and will be your second best in slot until you can get your campaign barrel.

Opening rotation is CG > SS > CD > OS > WB(During wb gcd I cast adrenal / laze target / target acquired) > Cull > SOS > snipe > adrenaline probe > cull > explosive probe > cg > cd > wb > Cull etc etc etc

Personally I haven't found a good place for ambush in my rotation and found it to be a dps loss every time I tried to work it in. Sims etc are showing ambush as part of your typical rotation, I still haven't been able to work it in without a dps loss I typically just auto attack or snipe energy permitting (and everything else on cd). You shouldn't be afraid to auto attack during your rotation as keeping energy over 90 makes life easy in lethality.

aaand lastly I've never seen a MM dummy parse come anywhere close to a Lethality dummy parse in live situation. According to the sims MM is slightly behind, Between me and one other exceptional sniper I run with neither one of us could pull higher than 1770 on a 5 minute parse in marksman. I can consistently get 1880 in lethality, sometimes decently breaking 1900 depending on crit luck.

Hope this helps!

Strange, I personally take the 5/5/31 build so that I can avoid putting accuracy in my gear for the most part. I also use ambush as part of my rotation and just swap it out for orbital strike when it's on cooldown.

My stats are:

2312 Cunning

919 Power

171 accuracy

399 surge

232 crit

Are you sure those stats are what we should be aiming for? I parse over 1,900 in lethality easily like this, but I'm willing to do anything to increase my dps still :)

Edit: Those stats are buffed

Edited by Truescopes

Agree with above. BIS armor and barrel are Skill- Don't use patron. Most if not all Mods should be Artful, Most of your enhancements should be Adept(Power/Surge) with a few acute(Crit/accuracy) to help you reach those numbers.

The thing to remember when itemizing your gear. When you increase Crit, you lower your power. When you increase accuracy (or alacrity) you lower your Surge. None of your enhancements should have alacrity.

Perfect your rotation, timing and energy management are all that's left.

I also have the same same stats as above poster for my lethality build, see below, however I have seen the Simulator parse with the stats Shecrazy listed as doing the best DPS. I would think accuracy being that high would be a waste since I only get rare misses with rifle shot.

171 accuracy

399 surge

232 crit

Edited by DSafana

Thanks everyone, most of this stuff seems to make sense. I'll go farm more pieces to pull the relevant bits out of :)

As for he rotation, I'm reading that it's okay, just throw in OS when it's up, and possibly spec in Explosive probe after all, even though that will drop my accuracy to under 100% due to gear deficiencies.

Are you sure those stats are what we should be aiming for? I parse over 1,900 in lethality easily like this, but I'm willing to do anything to increase my dps still :)

Can't really say, its just what I found to work best after hours and hours of trial and error over the months. I found it ironic the sims ended up lining up with pretty much what I was already doing, but a sim is just a sim and isn't really definitive. I keep having the discussion that the sim is saying MM can pull 1900+ but I've never seen anyone who can pull much past 1770 on a consistent basis.

If you're pulling 1900~ish with your current spec and at the least 1500+ during live content I don't see a reason to change what you're doing, I just found this worked better for me.

You're losing 15% dmg to corrosive grenade ( if you don't believe me simply spec 2 / 5 / 31 and leave those 3 points floating, check your numbers on corrosive grenade, then apply the 3 points in explosive engineering. I clearly see a +500 dmg increase for talenting that in.) my numbers on orbital strike are also 2383 vs 2079 on hits with and without explosive engineering( thats 1200 dmg minimum per OS). Its possible if you aren't using your OS and EP frequently that you're only seeing the dmg increase on CG, and that might equal out to or be less than the 3% you're getting on all of your skills crits. But if you're using OS and EP as often as you should I highly doubt the 3% surge makes up the difference.

Crit is preference, I found in all specs being closer to 300 crit was a dps increase over having less (even in MM which claims to have 164 rating as best).

Edited by Shecrazy

CG has no initial aoe, its consistant dmg for 21s.

When the dot applies the first tick is immediate if you were referring to that, but the dmg from that first tick is identical to all subsequent ticks. If this was effecting that part of the dmg in some way it would be greater.

Can't really say, its just what I found to work best after hours and hours of trial and error over the months. I found it ironic the sims ended up lining up with pretty much what I was already doing, but a sim is just a sim and isn't really definitive. I keep having the discussion that the sim is saying MM can pull 1900+ but I've never seen anyone who can pull much past 1770 on a consistent basis.

Crit is preference, I found in all specs being closer to 300 crit was a dps increase over having less (even in MM which claims to have 164 rating as best).

I'm considering these final numbers unbuffed(this includes BAse and 9% ,no datacrons):

Cunning 2060

Power 841

Crit rating 297

Accuracy 228

Surge 342

I created a spreadsheet that lists the different Mods and enhancements and selected 8 Mods(artful) and 6 enhancements(adept) and use BH ear and implants that would cover Crit and accuracy and used campaign Offhand.Edit: removed spreadsheet since it didn't scale

Edited by DSafana

ive read over all this post and still need a helping hand. can someone critique me please.

heres my toon.

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/characte...0-74e1c255398b

a couple things that i have.

1) custom bracers and belt with no mods because not sure what to put into it.

2) about 95 BH comms to spend

3) a offhand token for rakata, not sure which knife to get.

http://www.torhead.com/item/2GH1bh8/ripper-nine

or

http://www.torhead.com/item/3rvilFp/ghost

ive read over all this post and still need a helping hand. can someone critique me please.

heres my toon.

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/characte...0-74e1c255398b

a couple things that i have.

1) custom bracers and belt with no mods because not sure what to put into it.

2) about 95 BH comms to spend

3) a offhand token for rakata, not sure which knife to get.

http://www.torhead.com/item/2GH1bh8/ripper-nine

or

http://www.torhead.com/item/3rvilFp/ghost

Here's my Black Hole shopping advice for maddable gear:

If the piece doesn't have Skill armor -68 cunning 49 endurance- DON'T get it

If the piece has a Mod with more than 32 endurance- Don't get it

If the piece has an enhancement with more than 27 endurance - Don't get it.

This means Gloves , legs and feet are the only pieces worth purchasing for moddable pieces..

Then get extra trappers gloves or menders boots and pull the Mods/enhancements for the rest of your moddable gear.

Here's my Black Hole shopping advice for maddable gear:

If the piece doesn't have Skill armor -68 cunning 49 endurance- DON'T get it

If the piece has a Mod with more than 32 endurance- Don't get it

If the piece has an enhancement with more than 27 endurance - Don't get it.

This means Gloves , legs and feet are the only pieces worth purchasing for moddable pieces..

Then get extra trappers gloves or menders boots and pull the Mods/enhancements for the rest of your moddable gear.

100 times this.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.