before i del yet another char

ElectroFidgit

can i get some actual new player help. I’m trying to get the holocron on balmora. i followed one of the spec guides for solo play and now I’m getting it handed to me even worse. I’m a sith assassin. i prefer ranged combat. i have 0 interest in pvp. I’m here for kotor 3 through whatever. Now I know this boss area (into the pit) is more broke than swg on a bad day but i have to kill this boss to move on. Where is the best place to get gear to be sure that helps. Don’t even get me started on all the different money in the game. casual friendly my r2 droid.

Take a breath every once in a while.

can i get some actual new player help. I’m trying to get the holocron on balmora.

I'm not sure which one?

i followed one of the spec guides for solo play and now I’m getting it handed to me even worse. I’m a sith assassin. i prefer ranged combat.

Updated gear? Reasonable level to do this?

i have 0 interest in pvp.

That's nice.

I’m here for kotor 3 through whatever.

Ok.

Now I know this boss area (into the pit) is more broke than swg on a bad day but i have to kill this boss to move on.

That the bonus series like on the Rep. side?

Where is the best place to get gear to be sure that helps.

Make it, buy it on the GTN, though you get an Orange Modable Piece on every planet from Questing.

Don’t even get me started on all the different money in the game.

Ok.

casual friendly my r2 droid.

Huh?

I'm probably not too much help here, but I did try and give you good information. Fill us in a bit more next time please.

can i get some actual new player help. I’m trying to get the holocron on balmora. i followed one of the spec guides for solo play and now I’m getting it handed to me even worse. I’m a sith assassin. i prefer ranged combat. i have 0 interest in pvp. I’m here for kotor 3 through whatever. Now I know this boss area (into the pit) is more broke than swg on a bad day but i have to kill this boss to move on. Where is the best place to get gear to be sure that helps. Don’t even get me started on all the different money in the game. casual friendly my r2 droid.

the last quest on balmorra for sith inquisitors right? its a pain.. what i did was kite the boss back to the entrance of the pit, at the bottom just after the green crap, the adds it spawned didnt come all that way to fight me, so i only had to fight the boss itself,

the last quest on balmorra for sith inquisitors right? its a pain.. what i did was kite the boss back to the entrance of the pit, at the bottom just after the green crap, the adds it spawned didnt come all that way to fight me, so i only had to fight the boss itself,

he is immune to force attaacks. spam maul, thrash and your free attack

can i get some actual new player help.

sure

I’m trying to get the holocron on balmora.

which one?

i followed one of the spec guides for solo play and now I’m getting it handed to me even worse.

update gear, make sure your the right level, umm... MOAR GUIDES?

I’m a sith assassin. i prefer ranged combat.

should of went sorcerer, sniper, ect.

i have 0 interest in pvp. I’m here for kotor 3 through whatever.

sure... if thats what you want

Now I know this boss area (into the pit) is more broke than swg on a bad day but i have to kill this boss to move on. Where is the best place to get gear to be sure that helps.that quest is annying see my first post

ok :) nice nerfs on alderann ATM

casual friendly my r2 droid

which R2 droid would that be?

hope this helps!

Edited by Wonkadude

Yes yes, thank you for a real non l33t answer. now what is kite and how do i do it? once again i thank you. to the other poster, posted like a true mmoer. Answering me as if i should understand everything from day 1. This might come as a shock to you but not everyone who plays mmos makes it their life’s work. Is there by any chance a guild on corelian run where i can learn and get help. Preferably with voice? friendly matters most though

Kite/kiting is when you pull them around like a kite you fly in the wind, it works best when the npc is melee so you will have to stand next to the npc for a few seconds until he pulls out is melee weapons then just run around like a chicken with its head cut off.

Yes yes, thank you for a real non l33t answer. now what is kite and how do i do it? once again i thank you. to the other poster, posted like a true mmoer. Answering me as if i should understand everything from day 1. This might come as a shock to you but not everyone who plays mmos makes it their life’s work. Is there by any chance a guild on corelian run where i can learn and get help. Preferably with voice? friendly matters most though

Kiting is running around, avoiding there attacks. assasins can't really do this, since they have to fight in melee range for this boss cause he is immune to force attacks, which is all your ranged abbilites. happy?

can i get some actual new player help.

sure

I’m trying to get the holocron on balmora.

which one?

i followed one of the spec guides for solo play and now I’m getting it handed to me even worse.

update gear, make sure your the right level, umm... MOAR GUIDES?

I’m a sith assassin. i prefer ranged combat.

should of went sorcerer, sniper, ect.

i have 0 interest in pvp. I’m here for kotor 3 through whatever.

sure... if thats what you want

Now I know this boss area (into the pit) is more broke than swg on a bad day but i have to kill this boss to move on. Where is the best place to get gear to be sure that helps.that quest is annying see my first post

ok :) nice nerfs on alderann ATM

casual friendly my r2 droid

which R2 droid would that be?

hope this helps!

See, this is what i mean, there must be an easier way to figure all this out. Now i have to wipe my assassin because you say if i want range on that char i should have picked different.

Joining a good guild is your best bet to get thru such rough spots. There are plenty of guilds that are casual and friendly and have no problem helping you thru such times without brow beating you and calling you a noob

See, this is what i mean, there must be an easier way to figure all this out. Now i have to wipe my assassin because you say if i want range on that char i should have picked different.

Here's a suggestion: roll an imperial agent, pick sniper as an AC. longest range in the game (tied with their mirror GS, and some sorc abilities with a tree buff) story line is amazing (007 like) and 1-20 wont be the same story line. If you want to be ranged ish on your assassin, use the madness tree. most skills require you to be in 10m, but its better than melee range right?

Joining a good guild is your best bet to get thru such rough spots. There are plenty of guilds that are casual and friendly and have no problem helping you thru such times without brow beating you and calling you a noob

Good to know. So it looks like im killing another char. i thought i was doing good this time too. I realise not all classes are ranged but, i want to see all the stories so which advanced classes have range to them? Also i don’t totally dislike pvp, i just prefer pve. i notice when i get my advanced class kit. It has two tools. One for damage and one for shielding. They can’t be used together though so why give me both?

Edited by ElectroFidgit

Good to know. So it looks like im killing another char. i thought i was doing good this time too. I realise not all classes are ranged but, i want to see all the stories so which advanced classes have range to them? Also i don’t totally dislike pvp, i just prefer pve. i notice when i get my advanced class kit. It has 2 tools 1 for damage and one foe shielding. They can’t be used together though so why give me both?

You get two off hands with the advanced class kit because as an Assassin you can be either a Tank or a DPS: the game cannot know which one you'll be so it lets you choose.

Every class except the Jedi Knight and the Sith Warrior has a ranged advanced class

Smuggler >> Gunsliger

Jedi Consular >> Sage

Trooper >> Commando (Vanguard is between melee and 10 meters range)

Imperial Agent >> Sniper

Sith Inquisitor >> Sorcerer

Bounty Hunter >> Mercenary (Powertech is between melee and 10 meters range)

Do note that Gunslinger and Sniper, Sage and Sorcerer, Commando and Mercenary share their core abilities. This means that if you create a Sage and a Sorcerer, for example, the gameplay will be very similar (I tell you this, since you may prefer having a melee and a ranged character rather than 2 ranged characters with identical abilities).

Edited by Lurtzello

Ok yeah that last boss is a pain but it wasnt hard for my Sorcerer but for my Assassin, Jesus I couldnt beat him if my life depended on it so what I did was went out and leveled one level and as soon as I did that the boss wasnt nothing so...

Ok yeah that last boss is a pain but it wasnt hard for my Sorcerer but for my Assassin, Jesus I couldnt beat him if my life depended on it so what I did was went out and leveled one level and as soon as I did that the boss wasnt nothing so...

yeah thats what im thinking.

Thanks for filling in. I only play one IMP so when I think Balmora I think 30-35 not 17-20.

My first character, I couldn't finish the Class quest at 15, 16, or 17 so I asked for help and eventually a kind soul helped.

A suggestion, don't delete, play as many as you can, you have 8 slots and it's not a race. CRAFT, in the long run it's the way to go.

For guilds, try this, I believe it's still up to date. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=3189

Aside from gear, asking for help, your companion keeps you alive, don't neglect his or her gear.

The most helpful crafting for me was Cybertech, eventually you will have all Orange Modable gear and you'll make your own Armor and mod inserts.

Second was Armormech or Synthweaving.

T only other thing, is read, read as much as you can. Top of the page is all kinds of information about companions, crafting and gameplay. Don't be afraid to ask on the forums, even if you get someone like me that can't at the moment figure out which of the 5 things you asked were what you wanted answered.

You'll get more companions in the future, the first one is not necessarily the best or easiest.

There is no bad class, all can be enjoyable.

Lastly, have fun.

To tie up some loose ends:

Every class except two (Jedi Knight and Sith Warrior) have an option to be pure ranged,

EMPIRE

• Sith Inquisitor: Sorcerer
  • Imperial Agent: Sniper
  • Bounty Hunter: Mercenary

REPUBLIC

• Jedi Consular: Sage
  • Smuggler: Gunslinger
  • Trooper: Commando

There are options for some hybrid melee / ranged specs (Madness for your assassin) but they require melee range to be most effective. Other examples are Lethality Operatives, Vanguards and Powertechs etc.

When you select your advanced class, the in-game information presented to you on those two panels will tell you what a class will do, including whether it is melee or ranged. I recommend reading these before you hit "select" so you can save yourself some headaches.

As far as what upgrades you are looking for, the stats and armor types are generally nicely grouped. Here they are by armor type and main stat (strength, willpower, cunning and aim).

JEDI KNIGHT / SITH WARRIOR

• Guardian & Juggernaut - Heavy armor, strength
  • Sentinel & Marauder - Medium armor, strength

JEDI CONSULAR / SITH INQUISITOR

• All advanced classes - Light armor, willpower

SMUGGLER / IMPERIAL AGENT

• All advanced classes - Medium armor, cunning

TROOPER / BOUNTY HUNTER

• All advanced classes - Heavy armor, aim

Additionally, there are some other gearing choices you make when you are leveling up. If you are playing as a tank spec (a player designed to hold the enemies' attention and soak up damage), endurance is going to be very important for you as it increases your health. You might find a quest reward has two item choices for you: gloves with 15 aim and 10 endurance or gloves with 15 endurance and 10 aim. A tank character should select the 15 endurance ones generally, and a damage or healing character should select the 15 aim gloves generally.

You will find appropriate and satisfactory gear by soloing your class quests and world quests (and gear for your companions). You can find better gear by doing flashpoints or heroic quests, spending your planet commendations, crafting, buying off the Galactic Trade Network or doing PvP, but what you get while question is more than sufficient.

If you have completed all the quests for the planet, you should be over-leveled for this boss.

If it's not your level, it could be your gear. I ran into a shadow on Hoth yesterday wearing strength gear! :eek:

If I had been in his guild I would have been embarrassed! He told me he PAID for a book that told him tanks need strength... a shadow tank... I'll give you a moment to let that sink in.

On my main, I generally held off on bosses until I was at least two levels above him. A few people like to brag that they raced through content and kill elites 3, 4 even 5 levels above their own. Don't be afraid to come back after you level. I suspect at least half of those people are liars. :rolleyes:

I’ll never complete all the quests on a planet because, some of them force grouping. even when i want to group it’s hard to find one. I’ve already moved on to nar shada. I'm doing just fine now. I will go back to that broken quest later. I meant what i said, this quest is more broken then anything i can remember from star wars galaxies. I mean tuskin raiders that just stand there while you shoot them is kind of cool. This thing however, let’s see.

1. Companion refuses to drop down.

2. Weird bug thing on one of the ledges keeps rubber banding then disappearing and reappearing.

3. Can’t dismiss and summon companion because I’m considered in battle when I’m not.

So, yeah ill be back after the quest goes white. I'm not going to sub a ticket because I’m not a beta tester and from what I’ve read in the forums, people are aware of these issues.

Edited by ElectroFidgit

Always, always, always read the class descriptions before rolling a class. The only melee only class is warrior/jedi knight - the other classes have a ranged option. Companion makes a big difference at times, as well. I hope you didn't mean that you were using your ship's droid as a healer, because well, he can't keep up. If you are an SI, either advance spec, definitely use Khem Val to tank for you.

sorry your having a hard time OP. Stick to it though....with all the classes I've leveled, I find that spending some time and thought on a battle helps out a ton.

My toughest fight so far was a "special" boss for my Juggernaut shortly after Hoth. I wasn't aware that the boss was there, and i actually had been shifting my companions shortly before that...and ironically, the boss locked you into the companion you had when you entered the event! the companion i had was a dps companion...with about 1/3 of her gear on (the rest was on my healer, which i ran with usually).

So I was stuck, in a fight that really was built around using a companion, and mine was the wrong choice for my build, and in extremely horrible gear. So i had to do a ton of thinking (I literally couldn't progress until i finished that boss). I ended up allowing my companion to attack first, waited until she was 50% health, then jumped in. she would die, but with my defensive skills i would finish that round (the boss had 3 rounds!) I also learned after a few deaths that I had time inbetween each round to heal myself to full, and raise my companion.

This obviously was a different fight then yours (i remember the fight you mentioned...it is tough!), but the idea of thinking and maximizing your skills is a big one. here's a few tips for that guy:

1) let your companion soak up a lot of initial damage. they may die....but that's OK. they rez fast and rarely complain. Use your defensive skill early in the fight, so you may have a chance to use it again later on in the fight. get a medpack of the highest level you can use, keep it handy....pop it at half health. when you get back down to about 60& health again, pop your "hero" skill. can't remember the name of the one assassins get, but its the one with a 20m cooldown. it gives you a nice heal over time.

notice how Im spacing out my heals and medpack? this stretches out that healing over a longer time frame, helping you more overall. and use your defensive CD (on a 4 m CD, reduces incoming damage) before both of those. if you lump it all together (as I do on occasion when I panic), it really wastes allot of the overall healing and benefit you get from spacing them out.

can't remember if that guy is immune to your stun, but if he isn't use it early on as well...when you hit your heroic ability, it will reset giving you another chance to use it. Kiting also helps as stated above...hit him with a few spells, run around hit him with a few more. not easy on the assassin, but if your companion is there, as least they will be able to attack while you are running back and getting space. IIRC you still have that green thing as a companion...allowing him to taunt helps take some pressure off of you, but make sure you taunt back (you do have a taunt as an assassin, make sure its on your hotbar) before he dies. then you and him can switch back and forth.

If you like playing the assassin, don't' give up. they are a great class with lots of advantages..that's just a tough fight. but every class has tough fights in their story lines (as my example above shows). the key is sitting back and thinking about what you have in your toolbox (a.k.a skills/spells), and picturing how they could help you in that situation.

However, if you do want ranged, you may want to re-roll. but don't delete! at the worst, thats another cargo hold and set of bags to store stuff. At best, you now have a "crafting alt" the way crafting works in this game, you can start the crafting on your alt, hop over ot your main, play for an hour, go back, and all the crafting is done! really makes crafting alts a viable option. so don't delete...recycle!

Edited by Elyx

Solved. Went back a 24 and took care of it. Also, someone must have read my list because it was all fixed too. Companion followed me (there was a time or two he disappeared). It resolved itself though. There weren’t any rubber banding bugs. Thanks to everyone who gave meaningful input.

The way i read this is that your trying to get the datacron from the droid factory which is now in a h4 area. You need to have done this before to know the easiest way to get it solo. My advice is just to ask for help. Plus, the datacron in there is aim. Useless for assassin so a bit pointless to delete a character over not getting it