Confused about Absorb vs Shield vs Def, any experienced tank help a newb out please?

OcTwenty

So ive rolled a Shadow tank and im trying to learn as much as possible before i hit 50 but i am confused about def vs absorb vs shield chance. i found this site.

http://www.noxxic.com/swtor/pve/jedi-consular/jedi-shadow/kinetic-combat/stat-priority-and-details

Can anybody tell me if its accurate? ill copy and paste the part that confuses me.

Absorption Rating (50%) = Shield Rating (50%) > Defense (25%) >= Endurance > Willpower >= Accuracy (110%)

Does the mean i need to get 50% Absorb AND 50% Shield chance? or a total of 50% of both mixed together?

thanks lads, any help is appreciated.

These are just stat priorities for endgame and you should try to retain a fairly even amount of shield absorb and def while you're getting there. An optimal endgame geared tank will have 50%+ on both shield and absorb, with defense up and over 25%. These are mostly revolving around pve, in pvp tank gearing becomes a whole new ballgame. There's a bunch of helpful tanking threads floating around you should look up Edited by parbs

Jut to add:

Those are end-game high gear rating levels. don't expect to have those stats walking into FP's at 50. Thats what you should expect to see when tanking HM EC or nightmare Op's. HM FP's will be cakewalk in gear like that.

Just for comparison, my shadow tank gear currently has:

23.6% defence chance

64.5% shield chance (with kinetic ward..)

57% absorb chance

91% accuracy

I have 3 black hole pieces (ear, implants), 3 campaign pieces (leggings, belt, bracers), rest is rakata with optimised enhancements.

Have successfully tanked the first 3 bosses in EC HM, not tried kephess yet. This gear is godly in easier content, does well in hard content but sucks for tanking trash. I lost my kinetic ward charges in about 2 gcds :(

That's a good indication of what to aim for.

My current shadow (third sin/shadow reroll) is sitting at

28k HP (raid buffed)

27% def chance

63% Shield chance (ward)

54% Absorb

I've let my absorb drop a bit lately and would like to get it back up.

This combination is very close (few points) to mathematically optimal for Campaign/BH gear:

303 Defense Rating (+43 stim) = 26.4% Defense Chance

545 Shield Rating (+20% Kinetic Ward) = 64.9% Shield Chance

563 Absorb Rating = 59.9% Shield Absorption

Stat weights for this build (equal means optimal):

+1 Defense Rating = 2.22 Armor

+1 Shield Rating = 2.10 Armor

+1 Absorb Rating = 2.27 Armor

Changing any mod, enhancement or augment would increase my average damage taken (squishiness). I may have to switch an augment when I get the Campaign shield, but it will be a very small net change to defensive stats.

My assassin tank is sitting at 25.5k health 30% def, 66 shield (ward), 59 absorb and easily clears everything.

If you're talking about PvE you can throw out all accuracy, since most of our attacks don't need it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.