WoW Loses 1.1M Subscribers, Down to 9.1M

Taorus

Lol. So when I show you actual physical evidence that EVE has fewer numbers you say it's a lie because the numbers for tor weren't released by tor but the company that owns tor?

and you're wrong about EVE, scroll to the bottom, they include trial accounts in their numbers as well.

No, I said CCP reports only active subscribers. I don't think you understand what I'll mean, so I'll explain.

A hell of a lot of six-month subscriptions are about to run out in TOR. Those (already cancelled) subscriptions would not be reported by CCP. They are reported by EA.

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it's a guaranteed success; I do think it has a far, far better chance of being a massive success than anything put out by EA, owner of...God, how many failed MMOs is it now?

That makes more sense and I can understand that. Like I say, I can appreciate that Blizzard has had unprecedented success with WoW and chances are, they won't waste that knowledge.

Shame that EA haven't spotted a trend in that the MMO's they rush out tend to suffer because of it, if that's the case, though (I don't really know enough about which ones they brought out, but if it is a trend, you'd think they'd either stop throwing money at them before they rush them, or bear with them...)

No, I said CCP reports only active subscribers. I don't think you understand what I'll mean, so I'll explain.

A hell of a lot of six-month subscriptions are about to run out in TOR. Those (already cancelled) subscriptions would not be reported by CCP. They are reported by EA.

And I don't think you understand what I mean, you are wrong. Both in terms of subscriptions and in terms of raw players and in terms of number of hours played SWTOR is bigger than EVE.

That makes more sense and I can understand that. Like I say, I can appreciate that Blizzard has had unprecedented success with WoW and chances are, they won't waste that knowledge.

Shame that EA haven't spotted a trend in that the MMO's they rush out tend to suffer because of it, if that's the case, though (I don't really know enough about which ones they brought out, but if it is a trend, you'd think they'd either stop throwing money at them before they rush them, or bear with them...)

I wouldnt be shocked if EA buy Viviendas shares.

Thats at the feet of GOA, i really loved war but could i hell stay online.

Edit on that note im really interested with what EA are testing out with war, they currently are just starting a F2P arena game based on it.

I really love the Dawn of War games, so I do hope a successful Warhammer MMO happens. It's got such potential with all it's sides and things.

It just needs to...ya know...not flop before I even realised it was out. Haha.

Xfire? Really? When did we enter the timewarp to 2007?

Do you have actual numbers you would like to quote? Maybe an actual source for your statement? Some kind of evidence you would like back up your claims with? As of yet you have not linked to a single piece of evidence to support your position.

Now you can try and assault my claims and my sources all you want, but at least I have sources and until you link to some hard data there is no reason to take anything you say seriously.

I didn't mean to suggest it would be WoW2 or too similar, sorry if I gave that impression!

It probably will be decent. If they can get millions of people to keep with WoW for so long, chances are they know what they are doing.

I suppose my real qualm was - There's all this talk of SWTOR being a disaster when it becomes F2P, then statements like Titan will be a guaranteed success before we even know what it really is.

...I'm just noticing a lot of prescience and wondering if I should buy stock based on it ;)

Yeah, I see your point. I donot think any new game coming out now can be garantee to be a success no matter who makes them. So much competition anymore. And FTP does seem to be the future of MMO's. So would not surprise me Titan will have a FTP option. GW2, while some think it sucks, will attract a lot of players because it will be damn good for a buy and then play free MMO.

I really love the Dawn of War games, so I do hope a successful Warhammer MMO happens. It's got such potential with all it's sides and things.

It just needs to...ya know...not flop before I even realised it was out. Haha.

If wars servers had been stable it would have been a totally different story. But like i say that was at the feet of GOA who EA had to take to court to get rid of.

And I don't think you understand what I mean, you are wrong. Both in terms of subscriptions and in terms of raw players and in terms of number of hours played SWTOR is bigger than EVE.

Really? So you have exact numbers on how large TOR's active player base is? Of course you don't. Nor do I. I'm going with Goldman Sachs' analysis that it's below the profitability line, though - which would be 500K - and drawing my conclusion from that.

So. TOR's below 500K active, EVE's below 500K active - but potentially over it in terms of actual subscribers.

Yeah, keep banging that, "Nuh uh, TOR's beating EVE, seriously!" drum, buddy. I guess you really need the small, illusory victories at this point.

Really? So you have exact numbers on how large TOR's active player base is? Of course you don't. Nor do I. I'm going with Goldman Sachs' analysis that it's below the profitability line, though - which would be 500K - and drawing my conclusion from that.

So. TOR's below 500K active, EVE's below 500K active - but potentially over it in terms of actual subscribers.

Yeah, keep banging that, "Nuh uh, TOR's beating EVE, seriously!" drum, buddy. I guess you really need the small, illusory victories at this point.

So does that mean you don't actually have any evidence at all outside of your gut feeling on the matter?

I don't give a crap about eve. Playing eve is like sitting 20 miles from Los Angeles by an abandoned train station throwing rocks at the 20 year old billboard

I don't much give a crap about it, either. It does amuse me, however, that it's a more successful game than TOR.

I don't get how TOR was rushed. It wasn't rushed. The flaws - the lifeless worlds designed to herd players through linear corridors, the terrible on-rails space game, the questionable engine, the emphasis on story instead of gameplay - these were all design choices. Nor did EA "corrupt" BioWare, as I keep seeing. This game is exactly like KotOR, just with a multiplayer element tacked on.

edit: Well, KotOR by way of WoW's mechanics instead of D&D.

Edited by leathfuil

If wars servers had been stable it would have been a totally different story. But like i say that was at the feet of GOA who EA had to take to court to get rid of.

That seems a real shame. I guess at least they got reliable servers for SWTOR!

I don't much give a crap about it, either. It does amuse me, however, that it's a more successful game than TOR.

Based on what metric? See you don't actually have any evidence at all to back that claim up. None. Why can't you just admit you were wrong and that you misspoke?

That seems a real shame. I guess at least they got reliable servers for SWTOR!

I think thats the one major lesson they learned from war. Its probably the reason they threw up so many servers in launch and over compensated just a tad.

Edited by Shingara

So does that mean you don't actually have any evidence at all outside of your gut feeling on the matter?

My gut has little to do with it.

CCP reports between 400K and 500K active players, unknown number of total subscriptions.

EA reports between 500K and 1000K total subscribers, unknown number of actual players. One of EA's larger investors thinks it's below the break even point of 500K.

EA reports the trend of at least 300K subscriptions out the door every quarter. So, let's play your game and assume that TOR's still barely holding a lead on EVE (lol, by the way, at getting to write that); it won't by the next quarterly report if trending continues. There's nothing to indicate it won't.

EVE has or is about to have more active players than TOR.

You want to know why people stay subbed to that game? They have to. To be mighty in that game one day, here's how it goes.

You login, put things in your skill queve for it to train in "real time". Yes there are people who go out of the stations at first. But you get PWNED if you do. You have to stay subbed to that game in order to be good. Because it's all real time skill training done in real world time. That is why there are so many people. People want to be that "epic king" of space one day, so they keep on subbing to it KNOWING they have to or else they will lose seconds in their queve times.

Hell, I have even seen people that don't do anything but login, double click a skill, log out and don't login again for a week. That's whack man.

Based on what metric? See you don't actually have any evidence at all to back that claim up. None. Why can't you just admit you were wrong and that you misspoke?

Well, it's a profitable game, for one, which TOR is not. It's a growing game, for another, which TOR is not. It's managed to keep a subscription model throughout its growth, which TOR has not - never mind that TOR isn't growing.

It also, as I just pointed out, has more active players than TOR.

You want to know why people stay subbed to that game? They have to. To be mighty in that game one day, here's how it goes.

You login, put things in your skill queve for it to train in "real time". Yes there are people who go out of the stations at first. But you get PWNED if you do. You have to stay subbed to that game in order to be good. Because it's all real time skill training done in real world time. That is why there are so many people. People want to be that "epic king" of space one day, so they keep on subbing to it KNOWING they have to or else they will lose seconds in their queve times.

Hell, I have even seen people that don't do anything but login, double click a skill, log out and don't login again for a week. That's whack man.

Yet they prefer to stay subbed to it rather than TOR.

That's...kind of a sad statement that I'm not sure you were trying to make.