WoW Loses 1.1M Subscribers, Down to 9.1M

Taorus

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

55.6%. Still not 60+%. :p So if that trend still exists...then that means of the present 9.1 million subs..over 4 million are still from the west. :rolleyes:

Assuming 100% of their players were on the western $15/ mo plan at the ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM they could have 4.8M players.

http://investor.activision.com/secfiling.cfm?filingID=1104659-12-53747&CIK=718877

However we know for a fact that is not true, 100% of their players are NOT on the western $15/Mo plan.

They likely have 2.5M-3M paying NA/EU subs.

I wouldn't recommend it, no. I certainly won't be playing it.

On the other hand, that's a bad example, as GW2 isn't trying to gouge a subscription out of you at the same time as they're trying to get you to pay for content updates.

apart from the fact subscribers wont be paying for game updates unless they are expantions which f2p players would also have to buy.

When 1 lot pay $15 a month and the others pay $0.06 an hour it does make quite a big difference.

Difference to what? Revenue? Subscriptions are illegal in China; if TOR was released in China, it'd have to use the exact same model. And you're certifiable if you think Blizzard isn't turning a profit off Chinese players.

So you're carrying on about something that is completely and totally irrelevant. Your argument is on the same level as "Asian subscriptions don't count because they're not real people."

Apart from the fact that bliz stopped giving out individual numbers in 2010 and then they lost 600k which they blamed on swtor and now have lost how many since then. If the same market share still previals as when it was 12 mil then the number should just be under 4 mil.

Well, this very thread tells you how many they've lost since then. And most of those have come from the East. Therefore, mathematically, they're over 4 mil.

Simple, really, as long as you're not trying to twist the math to prove an insane point about WoW and TOR being similar in appeal and success.

Difference to what? Revenue? Subscriptions are illegal in China; if TOR was released in China, it'd have to use the exact same model. And you're certifiable if you think Blizzard isn't turning a profit off Chinese players.

So you're carrying on about something that is completely and totally irrelevant. Your argument is on the same level as "Asian subscriptions don't count because they're not real people."

Now you just being racists for even assuming that, profits are the bottom line and thats what makes the world go around.

Edited by Shingara

apart from the fact subscribers wont be paying for game updates unless they are expantions which f2p players would also have to buy.

You cannot say that with any certainty, as they certainly haven't.

But hey, if you trust EA, you trust EA. Even Charles Manson had people who thought he was a good guy.

Why is WoW losing subscribers a good thing?

This is something that irritates me -- I am not in competition with WoW. If a million people play this game and 10 million play WoW it makes no difference to me.

Quite literally, myself and the people I play with would never consider getting a WoW account. Many of us are entering the MMORPG market with SW:TOR. I get no satisfaction when I see another company fail.

- Arcada

Edited by Nydus

You cannot say that with any certainty, as they certainly haven't.

But hey, if you trust EA, you trust EA. Even Charles Manson had people who thought he was a good guy.

Wait a min, so i cant say that even though they have stated in black and white we will but you can sit there and tell me they wont as if its fact with nothing as proof.

Edited by Shingara

Wait a min, so i cant say that even though they have stated in black and white we will but you can sit there and tell me they wont as if its fact with nothing as proof.

No, I'm telling you they haven't said that in black and white.

All they've said in black and white is that subscribers will receive "regular Game Updates" without having to pay any additional. You are reading that as, "Subscribers will never have to pay for non-expansion content!" That is not what it says.

Apart from the fact that bliz stopped giving out individual numbers in 2010 and then they lost 600k which they blamed on swtor and now have lost how many since then. If the same market share still previals as when it was 12 mil then the number should just be under 4 mil.

Just under.....then why can'nt it be just above 4 million? lol. It really does not matter. All MMO's are in the market to make money and Blizzard certainly has done that this year. I think GW2 is going to hit a lot of MMO's hard when it releases. How long will depend on how good it is in the long run. I have not played it and donot plan on when it releases, but I have watched a lot of videos for it and they are doing a lot of things right. I really like thier crafting in it from what I have seen.....opps...got to chasing a rabbit..sorry.

No, I'm telling you they haven't said that in black and white.

All they've said in black and white is that subscribers will receive "regular Game Updates" without having to pay any additional. You are reading that as, "Subscribers will never have to pay for non-expansion content!" That is not what it says.

So what do you define as regular game updates then.

When they release their expansion, the subs will go way up again.

Why have there subs gone down when you can play the expantion now. They stayed solid in may so why have the subs dropped from the point people could test it.

Edited by Shingara

Why is WoW losing subscribers a good thing?

This is something that irritates me -- I am not in competition with WoW. If a million people play this game and 10 million play WoW it makes no difference to me.

Quite literally, myself and the people I play with would never consider getting a WoW account. Many of us are entering the MMORPG market with SW:TOR. I get no satisfaction when I see another company fail.

- Arcada

They are not failing. 10% lost of thier sub base is not any indication of failure. If TOR had only lost 10% of thier's..there would not be a FTP option coming. :rolleyes:

F2P in less than a year is epic fail. These mmo guys failed at running a traditional mmo. They gonna suck even more at trying F2P.

Why don't you get off the game if you don't like it. The trend is changing and more people want free to play options. BTW...the game didn't go free to play, it just added a free to play option for those who want to play it whenever they want. I think that's a nice feature that opens up the game for a lot of people.

They are not failing. 10% lost of thier sub base is not any indication of failure. If TOR had only lost 10% of thier's..there would not be a FTP option coming. :rolleyes:

Thats only assuming that the subs had anything todo with it, you yourself have been talking about the rumblings of f2p for months whilst ive been arguing to keep my subs, we both won.

Edited by Shingara

So what do you define as regular game updates then.

It doesn't matter what I define as regular game updates. It matters what they define as regular game updates. And, more importantly, what they define as something else.

I wouldn't say it's failing of course but you can see the trend. They are having a harder time keeping the playerbase.

In fact I wouldn't doubt for a sec that Titan will probably launch as F2P or some hybrid model.

MMOs are changing and the subscription model is dying. The only games that can keep it working are smaller niche games .

You're not even looking at the right sections for WoW. Digital channels are not where revenues from WoW subs are located. You should be looking at Online Subscription revenue. Which was revised.

http://investor.activision.com/secfiling.cfm?filingID=1104659-11-62236&CIK=718877

pg. 20

http://investor.activision.com/secfiling.cfm?filingID=1104659-12-53747&CIK=718877

pg. 17

Online subscription revenue was ADJUSTED in the more recent quarterly report (meaning their original estimate was wrong compare the numbers.) between the two quarters being compared It fell from 359M to 220M which is a decrease in 37%

You're not even looking at the right section of revenue for WoW lol.

*Revenue from online subscriptions consists of revenue from all World of Warcraft products, including subscriptions, boxed products, expansion packs, licensing royalties, and value-added services, and revenues from Call of Duty® Elite memberships.

And this ?

We currently define digital online channels-related sales as revenues from subscriptions and licensing royalties, value-added services, downloadable content, digitally distributed products, and wireless devices.

It doesn't matter what I define as regular game updates. It matters what they define as regular game updates. And, more importantly, what they define as something else.

well they define game updates as flashpoints and operations so for you to state what isnt going tobe in game updates you must be able to define what isnt going tobe game updates for you to state it.

Thats only assuming that the subs had anything todo with it, you yourself have been talking about the rumblings of f2p for months.[/quote

Yeah..I think it is a good move. And time will tell if it will be successful. How they do it will help me decide if I want to give it a chance or not. Because TOR as is, is not worth a sub each month. For myself atleast. :cool:

I wouldn't say it's failing of course but you can see the trend. They are having a harder time keeping the playerbase.

In fact I wouldn't doubt for a sec that Titan will probably launch as F2P or some hybrid model.

MMOs are changing and the subscription model is dying. The only games that can keep it working are smaller niche games .

Smaller niche games like EVE? You're aware EVE has a larger active player base than TOR at this point, right?

And this ?

We currently define digital online channels-related sales as revenues from subscriptions and licensing royalties, value-added services, downloadable content, digitally distributed products, and wireless devices.

Wait so that includes COD and prototype ??????

Seems to me that new games are still coming out under the subscription model. The ones that are worth the sub keep the subscription model. The rest go F2P in a last-ditch effort to survive.

I don't think that's proof of the superiority of the F2P model as much as it is an indictment of the quality of the games that are forced to switch models.

Edited by DarthTHC