Whats better, Strength or Power for the Sentinal PVP?

earthtoearl

I am trying to squeeze out some more damage for PVP. For overall damage, and take downs, what is better to Augment my War Hero gear with - Strength or Power.

Right now I have a mix of strength, power and critical augments on everything.

STATS

Valor Rank - 69

Strength - 1519 (+303)

Power - (187) +43

Edited by earthtoearl

Short answer: Add strength.

For a discussion, see http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=511551&highlight=strength+power

[EDIT]

Here's a good quote:

Basically, go for full WH set with strength/endurance augments.

It's the best solution, because both stats scale linear, strength>power and endurance helps whenever available.

Edited by SweetOldBob

I don't agree with that at all. I've been using power augs instead of mainstat and have ~550 bonus damage. Comparatively, another Sentinel I ran into was using str augs. He was better geared than me and his bonus damage was a measly 440. His strength was quite a bit higher than mine but I don't remember the exact number (at least 200, if not more). His crit rating was also far too high, just a hair under 40% with no smuggler buff. Surge was a whopping 65% lmao

Right now, I'm stting at ~550 bonus damage, 32% crit with smug buff, ~77.5% surge. I haven't seen anyone stacking str get that high.

Edit: BM Boundless Ages augged and Matrix Cube augged for relics

Edited by Racter

• 2 months later...

Not true at all.

My sentinal is currently full campaign/BH. Pushing 1800+dps on all fights, except ones you move around alot which i'm always over 1600, only 1 other sential i've ran into is even with me, NO ONE else on my server I've met is close, I'm sure there's poeple i don't know in bigger raiding guilds, currently 688bonus damage, 33%crit fully buffed 75.82 surge, 99% acc, 2216str. All str mods are the way to go, your crit gets high enough you can stack mostly power in all mods. Sacrifice a waste of more then 100%acc to get surge to 75% where it must be, and then stack power in enhancemants as well, as surge and str are ALL that increase your critical strike damage. Str also increases weapon damage, not by much but with a lot it adds up.

The reason for sticking around 100%acc is because after that you miss the same amount NO MATTER WHAT, boss's defenses only go down slightly with higher accracy, this is proven and you can look it up.

Me and the only sentinal I currently know with my dps have tested stacking different mods and such, my crit can actualy go down a little for more dps, and this all takes alot of itemizing, aquiring a piece a gear usualy means your buying a black hole piece to replace some mods. But NEVER use and advance deft modA, only normal ones, the amount of power you loose for the str and minor power doesn't add up, use all str armoring, deft mods, str augments.

And note, crit rating diminishing returns hit at 300 rating, for some classes because of talents in trees, they can be higher, sentinals dps is much higher with lower rating

And, Surge hits at 75% even, for every class, anything higher then that, you are completely wasting that enhancement/mod stat for barely anything, when you could be useing power, or anything else, never waster a slot with +41 or +57 crit or surge if your past the cap, common sense, your 75% is probably 75.08%, it will not read it correctly on your characters stats.

And note, crit rating diminishing returns hit at 300 rating, for some classes because of talents in trees, they can be higher, sentinals dps is much higher with lower rating

And, Surge hits at 75% even, for every class, anything higher then that, you are completely wasting that enhancement/mod stat for barely anything, when you could be useing power, or anything else, never waster a slot with +41 or +57 crit or surge if your past the cap, common sense, your 75% is probably 75.08%, it will not read it correctly on your characters stats.

Super way to necro a thread with misinformation.

Let's be clear.

Surge can ONLY be replaced on Sentinel/Marauder enhancements by Accuracy. Accuracy is absolutely worthless past 100%. Therefore you will either pick an enhancement that has literally NO benefit (accuracy), or pick an enhancement that has a significantly reduced benefit (Surge).

Every GOOD Sentinel will have damn near 400 Surge Rating (about 79% after legacy buff).

Besides, it's Surge RATING that has the hard DR cap, not the percentage.

A lot of incorrect things in this thread.

I don't agree with that at all. I've been using power augs instead of mainstat and have ~550 bonus damage. Comparatively, another Sentinel I ran into was using str augs. He was better geared than me and his bonus damage was a measly 440. His strength was quite a bit higher than mine but I don't remember the exact number (at least 200, if not more). His crit rating was also far too high, just a hair under 40% with no smuggler buff. Surge was a whopping 65% lmao

Right now, I'm stting at ~550 bonus damage, 32% crit with smug buff, ~77.5% surge. I haven't seen anyone stacking str get that high.

Edit: BM Boundless Ages augged and Matrix Cube augged for relics

The difference per point between strength and power is a static 0.03. You won't see a big difference no matter which augment you use.

Super way to necro a thread with misinformation.

Let's be clear.

Surge can ONLY be replaced on Sentinel/Marauder enhancements by Accuracy. Accuracy is absolutely worthless past 100%. Therefore you will either pick an enhancement that has literally NO benefit (accuracy), or pick an enhancement that has a significantly reduced benefit (Surge).

Every GOOD Sentinel will have damn near 400 Surge Rating (about 79% after legacy buff).

Besides, it's Surge RATING that has the hard DR cap, not the percentage.

No. Stack alacrity. Quicker MS and Stassis ftw :D

But, one additional thing to point out:

And, Surge hits at 75% even

DR doesn't "hit". It doesn't suddenly appear at 300 rating or 75% rating. Diminishing returns starts at rating 1, and thus in SWTOR there is a soft cap and no hard cap.

• 1 month later...

Not sure how everyone else feels about what Im about to put in here but I set myself up a little differently based solely on running focus spec.

I dropped my accuracy to about 92% and crit rating way down to 25% buffed. I run 10 might augments and 4 power augments and min maxed my gear for weeks. The reason for 10 and 4 was to find a balance in the augments which would allow for the biggest base damage without sacrificing too much strength. You can go 9 and 5 respectively and its the same outcome but after that you start losing. I figured this out by buying a set of might augments and overkill augments and just experimented with them.

The reason I did these things is as a focus spec crit rating is useless cuz your biggest hit is force sweep and it auto crits. My surge however is capped at 79.5% which allows my force crit multiplier to be at 109.5% which is how I get my force sweep crits well above 6k. I think my biggest hit in a wz was just above 7200 on a healer of course with no bubble or guard. But the bread and butter of focus spec is being able to hit multiple targets with that kind of power. My biggest overall hit was about 30k in a group of 5 as we were fighting for mid in civil war. I do all of this while maintaining an expertise rating above 1200. Try to keep up with that healers....LOL

Edited by etcc

I'm inclined to say strength since it is better for PvE but it actually depends on the tier of gear, e.g. imo 61 gear needed power while 63 gear needed strength so the best thing to do is build out a gear list on askmrrobot. For BiS EWH combat gear, the difference betweem str and pwr is so small, i believe str augments give 4 more bonus damage and lose 0.2% crit compared to power. So if you value 0.2% crit over 4 bonus damage, take power (this is the 27% crit combat build btw.)