The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Shield Spec PvP for 1.3 - Best armor / mods?

Remag_Div

Pre-1.3, A full shield spec Vanguard that tanks could do a hybrid setup where they don full Combat Tech gear for the 4pc bonus to SS so they could take damage and dish it out for PvP. Or you could get Supercommando and remove all the default mods and replace with CT, but this was more expensive/time consuming, but the best setup for min/max perfectionists.

Now with 1.3 and the nerf to SS, is the above still viable, or are Shield Spec Vanguards better off getting a full set of Supercommando now with the default mods OR go Combat Tech but better of speccing to Assault?

My damage was pretty iffy pre-1.3 with SS and Ion Pulse being by heavy hitters, but it seems BioWare is trying to eliminate hybrids so you either tank or DPS. I'm fine and actually like guarding, taunting, debuffing, AoE, and annoying opponents. I might not be able to take down many foes in 1v1, though.

From my experiences of playing a Vanguard post-1.3, I can say that any kind of tank spec in DPS gear is pretty much useless. If you want damage, go Assault with the Eliminator set or a Tactics/Assault hybrid in the Combat Tech set. If you want to tank then go all out defensive stats and HP with the Supercommando set. Even though you can't shield/dodge Kinetic/Force/Elemental/Internal attacks, you still have A LOT of survivability and the ability to debuff a group of enemies with Smoke Grenade and slow them with HIB is pretty awesome. Not to mention you're the only tank that can effectively guard a healer and still do damage at 30 meters.

I'm tanking in a SuperCom set with the guard bonus and with the right healer it works ok. However the chain force lightning gang on my server make life pretty hard. They stand apart from one another and co-ordinate the attacks and you don't stand a chance and the shield does nothing against that sort of stuff.

I have augmented the set with the aim/end augments for a lilttle bit of extra damage but you really need to be helping out the dps with the extra bit of damage they need to burn someone whilst guarding the healer.

I would say the role of a shield spec is just that. Shield your healer and guard a node or a door. If your lucky you might be able to run in a huttball.

I can definitely rack up the medals when I'm playing with the right team.

If you're fully decked out in BM / WH Supercommando that's augmented how good is the survivability in PvP? It has to be VERY GOOD for me to consider it because my damage will be terrible, and it shouldn't be great, but I should be able to withstand a good amount of damage while guarding, taunting, and generally defending nodes or bothering healers with debuffs and stuns.

If the heavy DPS users can still take me down without too much trouble then it's not really worth it for PvP. Can a WH / BM SuperComm Tank comment on their survivability and effectiveness in PvP?

the above is still viable, slightly less so. Your optimal setup will be dps enhancements/augs with the tank set bonus's. Dropping absorption is key. Sheild rateing, while not great, is going to help keep your stockstrike off cooldown and generate ammo, so it isnt compeletly useless. Get the baseline 30%crit, 75% surge. After this id say take endurance/sheild where you can that isnt a big dps loss.

This specialized build is great for putting pressure on healers and is still VERY tanky from the dmg reduction talents inharent in the sheildspec tree and expertise buffs.

I have a full BM Supercommando set . I don't have much trouble with survivability.

No matter what you do if you are in a 50 WZ and you get three guys focus firing you you won't survive long. And honestly I don't view DPS as a main focus of mine.... My focus is gaurd and firing off taunts to pull more damage off the DPS and healers. And even though I may die, if I can hold an attack long enough for reinforcements to arrive and prevent a cap i've done my job.

I also get far more comms/credits/exp/medals etc.... playing in defensive mode than when I try to worry about DPS.

However, every server seems to have different playstyles. My server tends to have low damage, defensive slogs...

Edited by Cheeseblaster