The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

When am I ready?

Xezkaiel

To tank endgame content? Just hit 50 on my vanguard and bought the recruit pvp gear (as it was mostly better than my gear as a fresh 50) and now i wanna know for hardmodes and ops where should my stats be? Is there a def cap? Absorption/shield cap? How much aim?

To tank endgame content? Just hit 50 on my vanguard and bought the recruit pvp gear (as it was mostly better than my gear as a fresh 50) and now i wanna know for hardmodes and ops where should my stats be? Is there a def cap? Absorption/shield cap? How much aim?

There isn't really a cap for defensive stats. Aim is a secondary stat for you as a tank, don't trade any of your defensive stats for it.

IMO, Recruit gear is fine for tanking HM flashpoints. Your damage output may be a little low, but that's not your job. Your gear is also probably sufficient to do storymode Eternity Vault. Tanking endgame content is a lot more about awareness than your exact gear level - consequently, I recommend trying to do your first few operations as the off-tank, so you can watch how the fights go, and particularly how the main tank interacts with the bosses.

Absorb and Shield are much more important to you as a PVE tank than defense is. Pumping Absorb/Shield will smooth out your damage mitigation and make things easier on your healer.

Defensive stats do have diminishing returns as you get higher, but with Shield and Absorb it's upwards of 50 - 60% before that happens, and you won't get that high yet.

Work the HM's to get Tionese or Columi sets. Recruit will work for now, but you don't want to stay with that for long IMO. If you PVP a Battlemaster Supercommando set with shield/absorb augments works fine too.

And I completely agree with the above that Aim is a secondary stat.

Another thing to keep in mind, plus 50 content is really unforgiving if your group does not use good tactics. So really spend time to learn the fights and learn how to use taunts, pulls, and when to guard the healer and when to guard the DPS. Good tactics will often save your arse in tough situations moreso than stats will.

From what i've read/seen/used (and i am not claiming to be an expert here) :

Endurance: shoot for HP's over 20k. I have 22.5k and that seems to be fine for most things.

Shield/Absorb: My goal is having both over 50%

Aim: My accuracy is like 92% and perfectly servicable.

Defense: my defensive chance is around 13%

Edited by Cheeseblaster

Hi Xezkaiel

Grabbing the recruit gear is almost always the best option at 50 now that it's free, and the gear is enough to get you rolling on the path to your columi gear. Personally i had a lot of warzone comms saved up before 50 and got a bit of battlemaster, which helped as well.

The recruit gear will allow you to tank through all the tier 1 hardmodes and EV SM provided you can learn the fight mechanics well and the heals aren't too lazy. Lost island is probably possible as well if you have a good healer (like rakata gear), i personally got that one done with 2 columi and around 19k hp.

The tanking in this game is a lot more skill based than gear based, its only as you reach beyond the casual endgame into hardmode ops that you really need to worry too much about the stats.

• 1 month later...