Str>Pow>Crit>Surge ?

Xzaver

Few Questions

1. Str adds to damage an crit

2. Power adds to damage, just a tad more than Str would

3. Crit adds to Crit, duh.

4. Surge adds to the power of your crit ?

This is for PvP mind you.

I am full WH Watchmen spec, I have a mix of Str and power augments

Str standing around 1658, Power 478, crit 36% and surge 78... these figures are not exact but very close

I also just started swapping out the WH helm an gloves for the mod/enhancement's

which are WH Deft mod 26 and WH Battle Enhancement 26.

Anyway, I guess where I'm going with this is, Should i just be stacking one over the other and stop mixing str/power ? I am on the fence with this /:

I do very well as of now with my stats, But can i be doing better ?

Any advice is much appreciated

Thanks in advance :D

Edited by Xzaver

Few Questions

1. Str adds to damage an crit

2. Power adds to damage, just a tad more than Str would

3. Crit adds to Crit, duh.

4. Surge adds to the power of your crit ?

This is for PvP mind you.

I am full WH Watchmen spec, I have a mix of Str and power augments

Str standing around 1658, Power 478, crit 36% and surge 78... these figures are not exact but very close

I also just started swapping out the WH helm an gloves for the mod/enhancement's

which are WH Deft mod 26 and WH Battle Enhancement 26.

Anyway, I guess where I'm going with this is, Should i just be stacking one over the other and stop mixing str/power ? I am on the fence with this /:

I do very well as of now with my stats, But can i be doing better ?

Any advice is much appreciated

Thanks in advance :D

What I understand from reading the "smart people" threads is that stacking STR or PWR is about the same increase. Its negligible for all intents and purposes, especially since its PvP. Its generally accepted that both STR and PWR are more valuable than straight crit or surge. If it was PvE some people prefer power once they get to a certain amount of STR.

Edited by Arkerus

You can't really rank the stats like that, unless you're discussing augments, since they're the only place you can freely trade between stats on a 1:1 basis. For augments, it's a case of Strength versus Power, since you can easily push far into diminishing returns on Crit and Surge with your base gear. On a 1:1 basis, Strength > Power.

For the rest of your gear, you basically trade between Crit and Power. You can give up some Power/Crit for Strength with the A lettered mods (i.e. Deft Mod 26A), but you give up way too much of it, so these are always a net DPS loss. Use unlettered mods only.

I believe LagunaD has calculated that the optimal amount of crit rating for Combat Sents is around 117; I would presume it would be slightly lower for Watchmen with the effect of Zen. Basically, stack mostly Power.

For Surge, you're basically trading with Accuracy.

I believe LagunaD has calculated that the optimal amount of crit rating for Combat Sents is around 117; I would presume it would be slightly lower for Watchmen with the effect of Zen. Basically, stack mostly Power.

For Surge, you're basically trading with Accuracy.

Do you by any chance have a link to where he said the crit thingy? Getting very curious about it, since 117 seems a little low.

What I understand from reading the "smart people" threads is that stacking STR or PWR is about the same increase. Its negligible for all intents and purposes, especially since its PvP. Its generally accepted that both STR and PWR are more valuable than straight crit or surge. If it was PvE some people prefer power once they get to a certain amount of STR.

Wrong. For Watchman, at least.

Crit, for Watchman spec sent, is insanely important. It needs to have a rating of at least 350-400, and you would do even more if it weren't for the diminishing returns.

Power is good for Combat spec, since blade storm has an auto crit, and crit specialization is useless then. Surge is still rediculously important.

It goes Str>Accuracy>Crit>Surge>Power

Str adds to both dam and critical rating, and should be as high as you can get it.

Accuracy for PVP needs to be 95% at least, so special attacks can bypass armor with 105% (everyone has a base defense chance of 5%). Additional accuracy not only helps bypass tanks with defense chance, but it helps the offhand hits.. hit. Max accuracy, however, should probably be around 325, give or take.

Crits, in watchman spec, heal you. And having burst damage is insanely important in PVP. The extra few percent chance of doing an extra 800-3500 damage is way more important in those quick PVP fights than 10-15 extra points of normal damage. Power is useless by comparison. 350-400 crit is appropriate, and one would definitely do more if it wasn't for the diminishing returns.

Surge is what allows those crits to do more, and burns to stack insanely. 250-300 rating is where you should shoot for, before diminishing returns take over.

Power is the last option, and only because it doesn't have diminishing returns. it's definitely not a primary stat for Sents, though.

PVE for me, I'm getting ~105% accuracy rating, then stacking strength and crit.

Crit should end up at about 380 rate. If you get crit on your burns, even in pvp, you're going to do a LOT more damage

PVE for me, I'm getting ~105% accuracy rating, then stacking strength and crit.

Crit should end up at about 380 rate. If you get crit on your burns, even in pvp, you're going to do a LOT more damage

What do you mean, Crit rating 380 ? isn't it a percentage ? how do you get that figure ?

What do you mean, Crit rating 380 ? isn't it a percentage ? how do you get that figure ?

Go to your character equip screen and go down to your critical % chance. Hover your mouse over the critical line, and it will give you information on where that % is coming from - base amount, strength, and critical rating contributions.

When we give numbers - 325 accuracy, 350-400 crit, 250-300 surge - these numbers come from hovering the mouse over the related stats and seeing the actual rating.

The reason for this is that the diminishing returns for crit rating are from.. Crit rating. Not crit %. So when someone says 'After 30% critical chance, you see heavy diminished returns', I know this person doesn't really know what they're talking about, or is very bad at talking about it, because strength contribution to critical chance diminishes differently than critical rating, and other buffs might be involved.

Your stats are ok.

Basically, go for full WH set with strength/endurance augments.

It's the best solution, because both stats scale linear, strength>power and endurance helps whenever available.

I know I'm stating the obvious here, but your own movement, talent timing and reading your opponent's movement wins you battles.

Crit, for Watchman spec sent, is insanely important. It needs to have a rating of at least 350-400, and you would do even more if it weren't for the diminishing returns.

Power is good for Combat spec, since blade storm has an auto crit, and crit specialization is useless then. Surge is still rediculously important.

It goes Str>Accuracy>Crit>Surge>Power

Str adds to both dam and critical rating, and should be as high as you can get it.

Accuracy for PVP needs to be 95% at least, so special attacks can bypass armor with 105% (everyone has a base defense chance of 5%). Additional accuracy not only helps bypass tanks with defense chance, but it helps the offhand hits.. hit. Max accuracy, however, should probably be around 325, give or take.

Crits, in watchman spec, heal you. And having burst damage is insanely important in PVP. The extra few percent chance of doing an extra 800-3500 damage is way more important in those quick PVP fights than 10-15 extra points of normal damage. Power is useless by comparison. 350-400 crit is appropriate, and one would definitely do more if it wasn't for the diminishing returns.

Surge is what allows those crits to do more, and burns to stack insanely. 250-300 rating is where you should shoot for, before diminishing returns take over.

Power is the last option, and only because it doesn't have diminishing returns. it's definitely not a primary stat for Sents, though.

I'm not wrong, just perhaps didn't preface my statement. STR gives you two stats you need. Might as well add STR when you can. The was a lengthy post here the other day about how STR and PWR are about the same no matter the spec.

Your stats are ok.

Basically, go for full WH set with strength/endurance augments.

It's the best solution, because both stats scale linear, strength>power and endurance helps whenever available.

I know I'm stating the obvious here, but your own movement, talent timing and reading your opponent's movement wins you battles.

I 100% agree on the talent

I'm pretty much all STR augmented, think 2 crits, and endurance you say, I rather not .. Jus me tho

Edited by Xzaver

What is your basis for claiming this? The math says otherwise. The difference in expected damage between, say, 175 and 350 Critical Rating (assuming the difference goes into Power, and you have augmented Rakata/BH/Campaign Strength levels) is pretty small (~1%), but there is no doubt that 350 Critical Rating is above optimal.

The expected damage of every ability, given your stats, is just a formula. The formula for every ability is known, and the formula for every ability says that to maximize the expected damage you want more considerably more Power than Critical Rating in either Sentinel spec.