The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Vanguard Tank Relic

saja

What relic (Campaign or Battlemaster) would best suit a Vanguard tank? I've viewed the selections, just can't quite determine which is the superior option. Edited by saja

PVP: Use PVP relics.

PVE: The Campaign Relic of Shield Amplification relic is fantastic. I highly recommend it. For your other relic you have several choices, which of them you want depends on your stat distribution and what you think you need help with (an additional cooldown vs a constant bonus).

It really depends, on use vs static is preference (I'm bundling proc into here). On use you should "equalize over time" that's not it's function. On use provides a nice and often significant boost to mitigation during crucial periods. The static relics provide a constant benefit but offer no safety net in dire emergencies.

I have both and switch constantly. Boss fight? My mitigation is pretty high already so dire moments tend to be more the issue. AoE trash? I find the constant bOnus more useful. Running a hm fp / before final boss - constant relics tend to work better (usually don't even need to pop CDs)

With that said I'm full Rakata / BH... When I was all orange / lower than tionese I ran On use relics. let me put it this way- adrenaline rush + absorb adrenal + relic + Rakata medpac + defensive screen = short term immunity from damage and an actual GAIN in health.

Don't even get me started solo play! Relic + defensive screen + absorb adrenal + adrenaline rush + medpac + heroic moment + light side damage reduction = just can't be killed. Not to mention add in Elara's healing and additional cc... Sorry off topic.

You get the point though. The less you need boosted mitigation or dire moments mitigation the less you need on use relics. They just offer a different style of play :)

PVP: Use PVP relics.

PVE: The Campaign Relic of Shield Amplification relic is fantastic. I highly recommend it. For your other relic you have several choices, which of them you want depends on your stat distribution and what you think you need help with (an additional cooldown vs a constant bonus).

Oh I've possessed an Augmented Matrix Cube for some time now, I am searching for a supplemental enhancement. And really? I would have suspected Shrouded Crusader (and I only included Battlemaster as it is my understanding they were B.I.S for some classes).

It really depends, on use vs static is preference (I'm bundling proc into here). On use you should "equalize over time" that's not it's function. On use provides a nice and often significant boost to mitigation during crucial periods. The static relics provide a constant benefit but offer no safety net in dire emergencies.

I have both and switch constantly. Boss fight? My mitigation is pretty high already so dire moments tend to be more the issue. AoE trash? I find the constant bOnus more useful. Running a hm fp / before final boss - constant relics tend to work better (usually don't even need to pop CDs)

With that said I'm full Rakata / BH... When I was all orange / lower than tionese I ran On use relics. let me put it this way- adrenaline rush + absorb adrenal + relic + Rakata medpac + defensive screen = short term immunity from damage and an actual GAIN in health.

Don't even get me started solo play! Relic + defensive screen + absorb adrenal + adrenaline rush + medpac + heroic moment + light side damage reduction = just can't be killed. Not to mention add in Elara's healing and additional cc... Sorry off topic.

You get the point though. The less you need boosted mitigation or dire moments mitigation the less you need on use relics. They just offer a different style of play :)

Interesting, I generally prefer persistant relics as opposed to their instant-use variants as it is though. It seems then Shield Amplification would be the optimum choice, thank you for your input all!

Oh I've possessed an Augmented Matrix Cube for some time now, I am searching for a supplemental enhancement. And really? I would have suspected Shrouded Crusader (and I only included Battlemaster as it is my understanding they were B.I.S for some classes).

Matrix Cube is the worst of the endgame relics for tanks. It provides very little survivability relative to the other options.

I'm using matrix relic for trash. since I don't bother to click on use for that and I get more useful stats there. for bosses where I expect hard hits at some point, 2 campaign ones, one with absorb, other to increase absorb and defense.