Highly frustrated and disappointed

BigGuyEleven

Never before has something frustrated me so bad that I felt I needed to make a post about it but I have to vent. I've been here from the very beginning, never once stopped paying for my account, kept it going even after most of my friends left and I needed to take a break because it was boring not having friends to play with. I felt like playing so logged on to play and saw that my server was dead, was fine with transferring thinking it would make the game fun once again with a full server.

I get transferred and the two names I wanted to keep were taken so I had to change them, very frustrating but I can deal with it. But I also couldn't keep my legacy name, that is unacceptable. Losing two names I loved and my legacy name? I don't even want to play anymore now, for the first time I'm starting to think of canceling my account. The legacy name was just that, a legacy for me, it was the name I used since I first started playing MMOs back in EQ.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never before has something frustrated me so bad that I felt I needed to make a post about it but I have to vent. I've been here from the very beginning, never once stopped paying for my account, kept it going even after most of my friends left and I needed to take a break because it was boring not having friends to play with. I felt like playing so logged on to play and saw that my server was dead, was fine with transferring thinking it would make the game fun once again with a full server.

I get transferred and the two names I wanted to keep were taken so I had to change them, very frustrating but I can deal with it. But I also couldn't keep my legacy name, that is unacceptable. Losing two names I loved and my legacy name? I don't even want to play anymore now, for the first time I'm starting to think of canceling my account. The legacy name was just that, a legacy for me, it was the name I used since I first started playing MMOs back in EQ.

You should send them a nasty e-mail

Just out of curiosity, what was your legacy name?

Starbreeze. Nothing amazing or anything, just the first surname I used and have used in every game I played since that I could. I'm attached to the name and not being able to use it feels wrong to me, I won't be as connected to my characters.

Starbreeze. Nothing amazing or anything, just the first surname I used and have used in every game I played since that I could. I'm attached to the name and not being able to use it feels wrong to me, I won't be as connected to my characters.

This is how I cope...I never repeat old names in new MMOs...I only repeat old friends.

Hi, my name is Mike.

Well it happens. My legacy name was Nightwalker had to change it to Nightrider. I liked the old one cause I only play from midnight till 6 AM as I am a mid shift worker (another reason i am PISSED by the incessent relentless continuous bs overpatching and 4 hour dowtimes for simple patches that fix hardly nothing). Anyway, I wasnt as attached to my name as you seem to be. One thing you do have to realize is that when EQ started, there were alot less people playing games. The name I started for my characters and have attempted to use ever since was Kronox. Made the name up back in 1997 when only "geeks" played online games. Now that everyone and their grandmas play games, I have run across many "posers" pretending to be Kronox. It is a bit frustrating but hey it just comes as a consequence of the massive internet we have now.

I had a couple friends that just added an extra letter in the name for example "Starbreeeze". If you don't like this idea I'm afraid you may as well just cancel your account because Bioware isn't going to change this one as legacy name is tied to game information and they are not going to make the other dude named "Starbreeze" change his name just for your convenience.

Edited by Daganox

Well it happens. My legacy name was Nightwalker had to change it to Nightrider. I liked the old one cause I only play from midnight till 6 AM as I am a mid shift worker (another reason i am PISSED by the incessent relentless continuous bs overpatching and 4 hour dowtimes for simple patches that fix hardly nothing). Anyway, I wasnt as attached to my name as you seem to be. One thing you do have to realize is that when EQ started, there were alot less people playing games. The name I started for my characters and have attempted to use ever since was Kronox. Made the name up back in 1997 when only "geeks" played online games. Now that everyone and their grandmas play games, I have run across many "posers" pretending to be Kronox. It is a bit frustrating but hey it just comes as a consequence of the massive internet we have now.

I had a couple friends that just added an extra letter in the name for example "Starbreeeze". If you don't like this idea I'm afraid you may as well just cancel your account because Bioware isn't going to change this one as legacy name is tied to game information and they are not going to make the other dude named "Starbreeze" change his name just for your convenience.

Ah, very nice points. There are also some keyboard commands to add little accents over e's and such iirc

This is how I cope...I never repeat old names in new MMOs...I only repeat old friends.

Hi, my name is Mike.

haha

Yeah I changed my name to "Bob" - if it's used, I'll just reverse it. " Bob" - See? it works.:D

Edited by MaulIsGod

You k now what pissed me off more then anything, is i had a bounty hunter, who when i created him would be this drunken down on his luck kind of character who slayed all the woman, did all the spice he could handle. I named him of course Charlie Sheen, kind of this greyish path character, after 5 months of play BW made me change his name, it would have been ok the first month but five months later... really... who was i hurting

I named renamed him Charlie Cheen, I regretted it soon after because it sounded too asian (not that there's anything wrong with that but that's not what i was going for)

Edited by Ensquire

You k now what pissed me off more then anything, is i had a bounty hunter, who when i created him would be this drunken down on his luck kind of character who slayed all the woman, did all the spice he could handle. I named him of course Charlie Sheen, kind of this greyish path character, after 5 months of play BW made me change his name, it would have been ok the first month but five months later... really... who was i hurting)

BioWare doesn't tend to enforce naming policies unless someone complains, but it does violate the Rules of Conduct:

From the Rules of Conduct:

You may not use names from popular culture or media, e.g. Lady Gaga or George Lucas.

It might have been better to rename him "Charlie Sleen" - as that's a parody name with a Star Wars reference as a last name. :D

BioWare doesn't tend to enforce naming policies unless someone complains, but it does violate the Rules of Conduct:

From the Rules of Conduct:

You may not use names from popular culture or media, e.g. Lady Gaga or George Lucas.

It might have been better to rename him "Charlie Sleen" - as that's a parody name with a Star Wars reference as a last name. :D

Thanks mom... for the link of the rules. I'm so glad I have YOU to show me this...

After I named him during beta...

Then played for 5 months...

Then changed it...

then two months later...

THANK YOU SO F-ING MUCH!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Its like getting a speeding ticket and getting to work and there's that one guy who always sounds like his nose is plugged "Well the sign did say 80km an hour"

Edited by Ensquire

Welcome to the exclusive "Had to Change The Name I've Been Using Since Early Access Club".

Population: Damned near everyone ;)

Thanks mom... for the link of the rules. I'm so glad I have YOU to show me this...

Well, like I said. They generally don't enforce the naming rules unless someone complains, so someone probably did. Did you post anything about your character name in reference to drug use in general chat? Because that could have been where the complaint came from. Just saying.

Well, like I said. They generally don't enforce the naming rules unless someone complains, so someone probably did. Did you post anything about your character name in reference to drug use in general chat? Because that could have been where the complaint came from. Just saying.

I don't know, don't really care anymore

it was two months ago, I'm over it

Guess it will be stárbreeze from now on. There are sooo many people with éóíáú since transfers, including me. It is a crappy solution, but it is better than starbreeze05 or alllegacynamesaretaken08. I was fairly frustrated initially was well...

Yeah I lost 2 names and a legacy name too.

Your best bet is to use special characters maybe - Starbreëze or something.

But yes, SWTOR should have had a naming system tied to the account, rather than the archaic tied to server nameing system.

Do you remember that scene in The Empire Strikes Back, right at the end of the movie, where the Millinium Falcon jumps into hyper drive and escapes yet again? Darth Vader is looking out the window at the event and sort of does this half turn towards Admiral Piett getting ready to force choke him to death, then turns back around to look back out the window frustrated and decides it isn't worth the effort.

Your frustration is so F... nevermind did you recently change your meds or something?

Edited by papaguyo

Well... I had to change the name of my favorite chars and the legacy. It sucks at the time but I managed to find other names that I liked with some improvisation. I wouldn't leave game just because of that but its each one's call...

You may or may not know this exists, but in case you do not. This is a quick reference chart to alter letters by using your number pad. Helps when creating names that have already been taken.

http://www.spike-jamie.com/alt-codes.html

What should they have done? MERGED the servers and give priority to who ever had the name longer and/or most time played on their account.

But they didn't. it isn't a big deal. I lost all EIGHT of my names. Guess what? I have eight new (and in several cases improved) names. The game is still awesome and there are hundreds more, if not thousands more, players on my server with me.

On a personal note: Starbreeze isn't that inspired or unique, I'm not surprised it was taken. Use this opportunity to come up with a cool and awesome Legacy name! Treat it as an opportunity and challenge to be better!

I feel for you - I was fortunate enough to have destination servers where my character names were still available - several of which I have used for years ... since Pen and Paper D&D days and Wizardry ... back in the 70's and 80's. Out of curiosity, how do you know that the players/accounts that already had your names were also not here from the very beginning ... and have not once stopped paying for their subscription at any point in time?

BJ

Edited by BJWyler