The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Expertise bonuses

davidgw

Hey all, I'm just looking for opinions here. I was recently looking at the bonuses from my expertise stat (currently 1110), and I realized that expertise boosts things unevenly. It boosts DMG by 21.46%, DMG Reduction by 17.67, and healing by 11.84%. As a healer, I feel kinda screwed over... Why do the heavy hitters get to hit me way harder, but I can only heal others (and myself) with roughly half the boost that DPS gets?

Does anyone else find this weird (or nice, you lucky DPSers)? Is this what was intended by BW, or an oversight? Again, just looking for thoughts and opinions, and whether or not the community would like to see a change in expertise bonuses. Thanks for reading!

Hey all, I'm just looking for opinions here. I was recently looking at the bonuses from my expertise stat (currently 1110), and I realized that expertise boosts things unevenly. It boosts DMG by 21.46%, DMG Reduction by 17.67, and healing by 11.84%. As a healer, I feel kinda screwed over... Why do the heavy hitters get to hit me way harder, but I can only heal others (and myself) with roughly half the boost that DPS gets?

Does anyone else find this weird (or nice, you lucky DPSers)? Is this what was intended by BW, or an oversight? Again, just looking for thoughts and opinions, and whether or not the community would like to see a change in expertise bonuses. Thanks for reading!

notice 100-17.67 =82.33 so you take 82% of original damage.

82.33% of 121.46% is 100%.

what does this mean? it means that the damage boost cancels out the damage taken reduction for those with equal expertise. so for example if you had 2 people who did not heal at all in the same amount of expertise its as if they both had no expertise. however if you have a healer their heals will also be increased this is why they make the healing boost less.

these changes to expertise made expertise scale better for higher tiers of gear but lowered TTK, BW has yet to do much to bring TTK back up.

Hey all, I'm just looking for opinions here. I was recently looking at the bonuses from my expertise stat (currently 1110), and I realized that expertise boosts things unevenly. It boosts DMG by 21.46%, DMG Reduction by 17.67, and healing by 11.84%.

it has. Graph here courtesy of mmo-mechanics. Before 1.2, expertise buffed DMG, reduction and healing the same. After 1.2 these are all buffed differently.

notice 100-17.67 =82.33 so you take 82% of original damage.

82.33% of 121.46% is 100%.

what does this mean? it means that the damage boost cancels out the damage taken reduction for those with equal expertise. so for example if you had 2 people who did not heal at all in the same amount of expertise its as if they both had no expertise. however if you have a healer their heals will also be increased this is why they make the healing boost less.

these changes to expertise made expertise scale better for higher tiers of gear but lowered TTK, BW has yet to do much to bring TTK back up.

Taking TTK up makes healers even more powerful than they are now. A long time to kill gives healers more time to not only heal themselves but others around them. A Long TTK is an indirect buff to healers and if implemented means heals must be drastically reduced.

Expertise from a healing standpoint is SOOOOO overrated. Drop your EXP to 800-900 and stack more main/end from PvE armoring. You will be a better healer..

Healers are the only Role that get any bonus from Expertise when talking about evenly geared people.

The DMG bonus and DMG mitigation Cancel each other out perfectly, while healing still gets a boost with no mitigation mechanic.

Healers are the only Role that get any bonus from Expertise when talking about evenly geared people.

The DMG bonus and DMG mitigation Cancel each other out perfectly, while healing still gets a boost with no mitigation mechanic.

Trauma debuff more than mititgates the healing gain. I know its not EXP driven, but 30% is crazy. That's why if I were a healer, I wouldn't bother with EXP at all after 700EXP.

Expertise from a healing standpoint is SOOOOO overrated. Drop your EXP to 800-900 and stack more main/end from PvE armoring. You will be a better healer..

Have fun dying even faster and therefor healing less.

Trauma debuff more than mititgates the healing gain. I know its not EXP driven, but 30% is crazy. That's why if I were a healer, I wouldn't bother with EXP at all after 700EXP.

Trauma has nothing to do with this. It is there purely to balance the healing from PvE to PvP. Boss DMG is bigger than anything you will see in PvP so healers in PvE need to heal for more.

Trauma has nothing to do with this. It is there purely to balance the healing from PvE to PvP. Boss DMG is bigger than anything you will see in PvP so healers in PvE need to heal for more.

I just have to disagree that trauma has nothing to do with this. It has everything to do with this. Healing is governed by it more that it is by a players EXP. The OP is @ 1200EXP and asking why is expertise not doing anything for healing. Its because there is little difference between a trauma debuff @ 30% versus a "trauma debuff" 20-25%. Either way about 1/4 or more of your heal rating is nerfed. If they thought healing was OP prior to 1.2, then the should have just increased the trauma debuff and left the damage/mitigation/heals EXP scale where it was, which would have made EXP(past 700) for healers actually valuable..

I just have to disagree that trauma has nothing to do with this. It has everything to do with this. Healing is governed by it more that it is by a players EXP. The OP is @ 1200EXP and asking why is expertise not doing anything for healing. Its because there is little difference between a trauma debuff @ 30% versus a "trauma debuff" 20-25%. Either way about 1/4 or more of your heal rating is nerfed. If they thought healing was OP prior to 1.2, then the should have just increased the trauma debuff and left the damage/mitigation/heals EXP scale where it was, which would have made EXP(past 700) for healers actually valuable..

The only reason Trauma should be in this conversation about expertise, is because of the fact that the expertise bonus is actually a negative percentage added to trauma. Which is actually better than just a straight 13% boost.

Trauma has been here since launch(Even when healers were so-called OP). It is there to balance PvE healing to PvP standards. Healers in PvE need to heal against insane boss DMG while also healing other members of the ops. You are NOT going to be seeing those type of numbers in PvP.

Edited by Khoraji

Hey all! Thanks for the replies. I'm really glad to have gotten feedback, and feel a little more knowledgeable about expertise. I like the dialogue that we have going as well. I definitely welcome more feedback and thoughts, and I want to thank again those that took time to reply to my post and educate me.