Play Sorcs the Way that Works

jjconnor

I cringe everytime I see a post saying that healing sorcs are broken. I've been playing one since prelaunch and can tell you that if played right (as intended) they are a very annoying (for my enemies) and effective class for pvp. I rarely see a sorc that doesn't think he should be right in the thick of the action, standing in the wide open, or one that isn't an oak post. We are not tanks. We belong on the fringes of the action. Of course we get focused but we have an abundance of evade tactics to kite 1-3 guys for a descent amount of time. Although you won't get many heals off while kiting you are effectively taking those guys out of action. On the other hand we do rely on the synergy between us and a tank and that is what is lacking. I announce at the beginning of every WZ that I'm a healer but rarely throughout the match do I have someone looking to peel for me. But when I do come across a tank who knows what's up the results are much greater than the sum of their parts. This is probably not how many want it be but it's how it is. You can either a) keep playing it your way or b) play it the way that works. Very rarely is a=b and that is the problem. Edited by jjconnor

Any class can 'take someone out of the action' by running around in circles- those classes also can turn around and stomp that person, or heal under pressure.

If the goal of a sorc is to run away, that should have been stated as the role ahead of time so that nobody would waste time levelling the class. If the goal of the sorc is to always be mobile- they need to have the same casting ability that other classes that are intended to be played mobile- like the marauder and PT- have. Notice how those two mobile classes have almost nothing but instants- while the sorc not only has almost nothing but casts, but also very lengthy casts- pretty much the longest in the game except for perhaps the sniper- the sniper which doesn't have to spec for a root, has a better KB, has leap/pull immunity at any time and even a temporary CC immunity, and considerably better burst damage.

If the goal of a sorc is to run away, that should have been stated as the role ahead of time so that nobody would waste time levelling the class.

Well, part of the problem, as I see it, is not that we have to run away but the issue is we have to use all our CC defensively in order to survive instead of offensively, when comparing dps specs. Healing sorcs still have to do this.

What I mean is, my whirlwind, my stun and secondary talent perks are all used for defense only.

A class like an operative can use ALL their stuns and roots offensively, because they have burst and can kill an opponent within the time frame of those stuns. In case they need an escape they heave stealth as an escape tool. So all the CC is used for killing.

Marauders, also use CC offensively and have a few tools for escape, including temporary stealth.

Assassins, same thing. CC is for offense, have escape tools and stealth to get out.

Sorcerers/sages -- must use CC defensively in order to live. Big difference in CC usefulness.

Edited by Monterone

A great player can make any class achieve things, but that does not mean the class is without it's problems. I see this kind of thing pop up from time to time by good players, saying the class is fine because they can make it work. Just because you can make it work, does not mean it is a flawlessly designed class that shouldn't be subject to changes.

A great player can make any class achieve things, but that does not mean the class is without it's problems. I see this kind of thing pop up from time to time by good players, saying the class is fine because they can make it work. Just because you can make it work, does not mean it is a flawlessly designed class that shouldn't be subject to changes.

I can make it work.

Its not fine. Not even close to fine.

Its basically an edge all game, one GCD you screw up, a split second you get in sight and BANG youre dead.

All other healing classes give players more space and get equal (or better) results.

Edited by Laforet

A great player, healing as a Sorc in a PUG WZ - is toast without a guard and/or competent teammates.

How often do the "skilled" PvP players queue solo in PUGs?

A class like an operative can use ALL their stuns and roots offensively, because they have burst and can kill an opponent within the time frame of those stuns. In case they need an escape they heave stealth as an escape tool. So all the CC is used for killing.

Marauders, also use CC offensively and have a few tools for escape, including temporary stealth.

Assassins, same thing. CC is for offense, have escape tools and stealth to get out.

Sorcerers/sages -- must use CC defensively in order to live. Big difference in CC usefulness.

What you enlighted here, is not the difference between Sorc and others, but the differrence between range and melee. Snipers don't use CC offensively, nor Commandos doesn't.

CC are meant to keep melee away when you're ranged, and are meant to keep ranged immobile when you're melee.

So skill and experience will make immune to perma root/stun and 5k+ Railshots every few seconds while it gives you defensive cooldowns like any other class except yours has and some useful on-the-move heals.

Oh, wait...

All of our huge utility is completely worthless if we cannot move. In this game, there are plenty of abilities that can lock us in place. Best thing about them is, they ignore Resolve. Nearly any class has one of those.

Now add in the ridiculous amount of low cooldown gap closers and the huge burst potential of the dps classes (except Merc and Sorc, ololo).

Well, 2 mediocre people who play classes with roots/gap closers can completely destroy a great Sorc heal.

Or you just take 1 random Pyro PT with gear who will shove 5k+ crits up your *ss every few seconds.

Right now, we cannot compete on our own. This is not what I call balance.

Edited by iphobia

I do play Sorcs the way that works. I do PvE dailies and heal flashpoints/operations.

If Bioware wants Sorcs to heal in PvP, then they need to revert the changes to Force Bending and actually fix the double dip bug because the way our class mechanics work right now, we need to be completely motionless in order to operate. Against any foe with the mental capacity of fungus, we will be forced to move and will therefore die without contributing (and yes, that is even with guard and peels, which we almost never get anyway).

Bioware's metrics say we are fine, because they test in a vacuum where no one is making us run. The actual in game experience that is reflected in the vast majority of Sorc posts is wildly different from Bioware's metrics.

I cringe everytime I see a post saying that healing sorcs are broken. I've been playing one since prelaunch and can tell you that if played right (as intended) they are a very annoying (for my enemies) and effective class for pvp. I rarely see a sorc that doesn't think he should be right in the thick of the action, standing in the wide open, or one that isn't an oak post. We are not tanks. We belong on the fringes of the action. Of course we get focused but we have an abundance of evade tactics to kite 1-3 guys for a descent amount of time. Although you won't get many heals off while kiting you are effectively taking those guys out of action. On the other hand we do rely on the synergy between us and a tank and that is what is lacking. I announce at the beginning of every WZ that I'm a healer but rarely throughout the match do I have someone looking to peel for me. But when I do come across a tank who knows what's up the results are much greater than the sum of their parts. This is probably not how many want it be but it's how it is. You can either a) keep playing it your way or b) play it the way that works. Very rarely is a=b and that is the problem.

Be my guest and kite 3 players as a healing Sorcerer in Voidstar while on defense.

Now, think about that and you will see who has an advantage because of taking whom away from what. :cool:

Edited by Boyana

True. But stating that a class is "broken" is a bit extreme just because the learning curve is a bit steep.

A great player, healing as a Sorc in a PUG WZ - is toast without a guard and/or competent teammates.

How often do the "skilled" PvP players queue solo in PUGs?

not sure how 'skilled' I am, but I tend to solo pug at least 1-3 a night and win about 40% of the time on the whole. rarely with guard. It's not THAT hard. You just need to keep moving, make yourself harder to attack by running into crowds, line of sighting. I'm not suggesting it's easy, if you want easy, pick another spec to heal.

Remember, you can't permanently stave off death, no one does. If you get focused down by 2 all you can do is make them work longer at it, and hope the rest of your team does something useful with it.

What you enlighted here, is not the difference between Sorc and others, but the differrence between range and melee. Snipers don't use CC offensively, nor Commandos doesn't.

CC are meant to keep melee away when you're ranged, and are meant to keep ranged immobile when you're melee.

What are you talking about? I use leg shot all the time on my sniper to stop my kills who are running from esceping my final snipe+takedown. As a troopie leveling in the wz I loved running up to a healer and popping stormstirke to interrupt him. Theres no minimum range in this game it isnt wow and as a trooper I didnt fear being in melee range for abit (as long as its not a melee Im meleeing with...).

As a sage I use stun into force lift not to stop other people getting away while I land a big nuke (the way every other class does), but so I can pop force speed and get clear.

That isnt fun. Yes I can go have more fun playing my sniper, trooper or jug. So I do. Thats bad for the class right? casuals who play the game for fun don't play sorc/sages because they dont enjoy it and get better results on every other class.

Wasnt that the reasoning behind nerfing operatives incase teams of stunlocking operatives drove the masses from the game?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.