The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Possible Shield Build?

BlakMagick

I'm thinking of switching from Assault to Shield build. I like Assault in PvP it's nice being able to do damage and kill people 1 on 1. My problem is that when facing Champions in PvE I have a lot of trouble soloing them. I typically use Dorne to help but it still takes me a few defeats before I can take one down. It's not all champions but normally the important ones like when finish a series of bonus missions or something. So I was thinking of using a Shield Spec that was 30/11 http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801ZrRMrbRrRGZMsr0o.2. Would this give me better survivability and decent damage?

Hmmmm looking at your build I'm not exactly sure where you're trying to go with it. The build sort of looks like a bastardized Ironfist build but misses some good stuff and includes a couple dubbaU-Tee-Eff? talents.

1) You skip points in Steely Resolve, I believe one of the propeller heads that like to crunch numbers said that 1 pt there = about 4% damage increase to all abilites since Aim is our "primary" stat. If that is accurate that's 12% damage you're missing out on.

2) You don't take the full points in Intimidation, Ion Pulse, Pulse Cannon, and your Ion Cell all deal Elemental damage.

3) You have 2 points in Brutal Impact which affects HIB, yet those 2 points would be better spent in Heavy Stock since Stockstrike does more damage and you will use it more often than HIB with the shorter cooldown and the points you spent in Static Shield.

4) Smoke Grenade is handy for survivability in both PVE and PVP, well worth the 1 pt IMO. YMMV,

5) You have 2 pts in Charge! One of our worst talents IMO. Its only possible use is in Huttball and even then it's debatable with all the snares, knockbacks, and stuns. If you use Storm its usually to get in someone's face, not jump to them and run away.

Are your companion's gear up to date with your/their levels? That may be your issue, try using Vik to tank and you burn the guy down. If you're looking to do DPS stay with your DPS build, going Shield you'll do even less damage in PVP and I'm assuming that you'll be PVPing since you took Defensive Measures. Check one of the threads floating around about PVP Shield build. I have one where there's a good answer/commentary about playing as a Tank in PVP.

I think 2/28/11 is a little more on target for what you were looking for. I don't think its a great build either (still a bastardized IF build) but I think it has a little more of the best of both worlds. 2/31/8 is what I am currently running as an "all around" PVE/PVP Shield build.

Edited by Evangelist

Thank you!

You're quite welcome. However I'm still learning about this stuff my self so don't take what I say as Gospel, my info that I've looked up could be incorrect or dated. I miss having a "trusted" site like Arena Junkies where the people with the time and inclination crunch the numbers and have been acknowledged by the community as being credible.