Best pvp spec?

Louii

I switched to carnage because I got so sick of healers dispelling my dots in rated WZ's. Predation is also critical to have .

All three specs can output roughly the same high dmg, rage requires a bit more situational luck (n00bs crowding doors/spawns for smash).

For both rateds and non-rateds, I definitely prefer the damage and survivability of annihilation over carnage (haven't tried rage and really have no interest in doing so).

This is the spec I use: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#100bIrRrRdfsZhMM.2

What is your typical damage output in WZ's? I used to break 500k with annihilation or carnage on a regular basis but it's been a while since I've done it. I guess the gear gap is getting thinner, I guess I need to buckle down and get my WH sabers. :(

The only marauders I see breaking 550+k are the rage ones with good healers backing them up.

When badly geared and new to the class, annihilation is good as it's the most forgiving and survivable. What it seriously lacks is burst compared to the other specs. Its good for racking up damage, but when a lot of that is healed through because it takes longer to bring a target down, it's not useful damage.

When reasonably geared (approaching full WH) Carnage is great as you can do enough burst to take people out fast. If the devs changed the solo kill stat so that you get awarded a solo kill if you were responsible for taking out >3/4 of a person's health immediately before they die, then carnage marauder would be the king of this stat out of all classes.

If your Rated team is competitive and only runs with 1 marauder, then carnage is pretty much mandatory (the speed boost at the start means the difference between win and loss on some maps with equally strong teams....eg Civil War in rated is frequently won by taking snow a few seconds earlier than the other team and getting the 1 extra cannon shot off)

When really well geared (optimized WH), Rage is very effective, especially if there are decently geared, rage specced jugs on your team too.

Edited by Jagil

What is your typical damage output in WZ's? I used to break 500k with annihilation or carnage on a regular basis but it's been a while since I've done it. I guess the gear gap is getting thinner, I guess I need to buckle down and get my WH sabers. :(

The only marauders I see breaking 550+k are the rage ones with good healers backing them up.

550-700k is not uncommon for a typical, decent duration game (both rated and unrated), and I've had a couple of 800k+ damage games (voidstar and civil war).

When badly geared and new to the class, annihilation is good as it's the most forgiving and survivable. What it seriously lacks is burst compared to the other specs. Its good for racking up damage, but when a lot of that is healed through because it takes longer to bring a target down, it's not useful damage.

When reasonably geared (approaching full WH) Carnage is great as you can do enough burst to take people out fast. If the devs changed the solo kill stat so that you get awarded a solo kill if you were responsible for taking out >3/4 of a person's health immediately before they die, then carnage marauder would be the king of this stat out of all classes.

If your Rated team is competitive and only runs with 1 marauder, then carnage is pretty much mandatory (the speed boost at the start means the difference between win and loss on some maps with equally strong teams....eg Civil War in rated is frequently won by taking snow a few seconds earlier than the other team and getting the 1 extra cannon shot off)

When really well geared (optimized WH), Rage is very effective, especially if there are decently geared, rage specced jugs on your team too.

I completely disagree with your "carnage is pretty much mandatory" statement. We typically run with 1-2 marauders, neither are carnage, and we do very well. Carnage burst is nice, but overall damage and survivability seem significantly lower than annihilation.

Edited by Drator

Against teams which play well and match you in gear, you'll lose civil war every time without the carnage speed buff, you'll also not get the first ball in huttball.

When civil war turns into a 1 node each + all round fight at mid, you'll regret being 30 seconds behind in capping snow because the other team disrupted your cap and got their's super fast.

Against teams which play well and match you in gear, you'll lose civil war every time without the carnage speed buff, you'll also not get the first ball in huttball.

When civil war turns into a 1 node each + all round fight at mid, you'll regret being 30 seconds behind in capping snow because the other team disrupted your cap and got their's super fast.

Under those circumstances, you may lose every civil war or huttball, but we don't.

Edited by Drator