The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

0/24/17 AP/Pyro Hybrid

Rischardo

Hey all, I don't think this particular build has been discussed yet (the closest thing I could find was this hybrid spec http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=468294) and I was wondering if I could get a second opinion on it.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301MsrrobfkZfhrbzb.2

A similar PvE build could be achieved by swapping out Hydraulic Overrides with the last point of PPA. Much of the discussion is related to the PvE version.

Discussion:

This is essentially a build with a Pyro mentality that has access to a strong AOE. One of the downfalls of pyro, in my opinion, is that it is geared towards single target damage. While single target burst is great, I wanted a more flexible and well-rounded build. Some may argue (and I would not necessarily disagree) that this is a jack of all trades build. It seeks to have decent burst from PPA railshots that are guaranteed to crit and to supplement that burst with PFT. With both single target and AOE capabilities, I can see this build working well in FPs and PvP. This may not be the best build for most Ops fights, but it would still perform well.

This build seeks to take advantage of the synergy between many of the Pyro/AP talents and when everything is firing on all cylinders, it is a beautiful thing:

Flameburst: 45% chance to reset railshot, 30% chance to make RP free, increases the damage of PFT

Rocket Punch (RP): 60% chance to reset railshot, 25% chance to make railshot autocrit

Retractable Blade (RB): 25% chance to make railshot autocrit

Railshot: moderate damage (in this build) that does good-high damage when it crits (RP/RB make railshot crits frequently). Bread and butter means of venting heat

Prototype Flamethrower (PFT): high damage filler for when you can't get a PPA proc anyways, heat efficient if used wisely. Potential for monster AOE damage.

Pros:

-maintains mobility. DPS does not suffer as much as a full AP build when the situation requires constant movement. Just keep PPA fishing until you get a chance to use that PFT.

-AOE potential. As stated earlier, pyros can't do much in the way of AOE damage. PFT helps alleviate this problem.

-strong synergy between talents. The synergy means that this build is surprisingly heat efficient while hitting hard.

One of the best combos (that happens quite frequently):

5th Flameburst for PFT procs free RP and PPA --> Railshot --> PFT --> Free RP procs PPA --> Flameburst --> Railshot

Cons:

-Like any build that relies on procs, you could get unlucky and have nothing go off. This build does have a saving grace in the fact that flameburst can proc both PPA and a Free RP. This free RP gives a high chance for a follow up PPA w/o generating any heat to get there.

-Lack of range. Yes, you have incendiary missile and the other ranged abilities that every Powertech has, but you give up TD or Immolate.

-Lack of a Gap Closer: While a shorter grapple CD does help, this build gives up the 15% in combat run speed. Although Pyros share the same weakness, standard pyros at least have TD to throw while closing the distance.

-Hydraulic Overrides: A phenomenal skill and considered essential if you're going to be this far up the AP tree and PvPing. In order to get it, however, you have to sacrifice either 1 point in PFT or PPA.

Testing

I spent a few hours on the test dummy, but didn't actually record my numbers until today. My main spec is not dps, but I have respectable DPS gear, all of it being at least Rakata (with the exception of my earpiece). These are the averages of my tests (all tests were 3-6 min in length and were done on the Ops test dummy):

Pyro (7/3/31): 1478.5 DPS

PvP Hybrid 1 (0/25/16) (2/3 PPA): 1418 DPS

PvP Hybrid 2 (0/23/18) (1/2 PFT): 1450.8 DPS

PvE Hybrid (0/23/18): 1478.4 DPS

Rotation

My loose rotation went something like this:

Retractable Blade --> Railshot --> Flameburst (if PPA then Railshot) --> Rocket Punch --> Flame Burst/Rapid Shots --> PFT at 5 stacks.

After this opener, Retractable Blade fits in the rotation in a similar fashion to TD: Right After a PPA railshot. The exception is if PFT has at least 4 stacks. If you do, go ahead and flameburst and use PFT (if heat allows)

Rules

I had a few rules I tried to abide by though and many may seem familiar as I combined them from the Pyro and AP threads.

1. Always be Fishing for a PPA proc. PPA procs have priority over 5 stack PFT.

2. Use PFT only after a PPA Railshot.

3. Only use RP when it is free, but never use it w/in 6 seconds of a PPA proc.

4. Do your best to keep RB up at all times. It's difficult to be perfect, but try to use where you would use TD.

5. Always make sure your target is burning when using a PPA railshot.

Reasoning for rules

1: This build doesn't have the passive vent heat of HEC. Since PPA procs are the only way to reliably vent heat, this must be a priority. However, the situation may warrant skipping a PPA proc and immediately using PFT (IE: Players or Mobs are grouped up and you have 5 PFT stacks). Pop a heat management CD and roast away!

2: PFT has a high initial heat cost. Your lowest heat will usually be right after a PPA Railshot and thus, is the best time for PFT.

3. While RP has a higher chance of proccing PPA, we need to keep our heat down. Free RP into PPA Railshot is the fastest way we can vent heat short of using a cooldown.

4. RB is the best way to ensure that Charged Gauntlets (guaranteed railshot crit) is up as much as possible. Since this build's railshots do less base damage, we must counteract that by getting as many railshot crits as possible.

5. This rule may seem obvious, but the PFT --> Free RP --> PPA Proc is common. If you don't throw a flameburst in before your railshot, you lose out on venting 8 heat. Yes, flameburst does cost 16 heat, but keep in mind that the free RP procs don't have any kind of internal cd, thus you can "make it up" later.

Let me know what you think!

Edited by Rischardo