Role playing wise, is it possible to be a samurai like minded jedi knight?

cool-dude

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushido

7 Virtues of Bushido:

Rectitude (義, gi?)

Courage (勇氣, yūki?)

Benevolence (仁, jin?)

Respect (禮, rei?)

Honesty (誠, makoto?)

Honour (名誉, meiyo?)

Loyalty (忠義, chūgi?)

seems very light sided

unfortunatly samurai as well as most japanese then AND now, do not practice bushido nor have they any form of honor respect courage or benevolence.

especially samurai where known to be especially creul and evil, mistreating underlings, torturing them etc etc. Not to mention the horrific R.A.P.E.(apparently cant say that on forums normally) and torture camps they had for european women in the far east during WW2.

if you want to play a samurai, i suggest you play an evil perverted sith warrior.

Edited by Malstrades

I personally think that a Sith Warrior would be closer to a Samurai, but not for the one-sided reasons that were listed above.

Jedi don't have such firm hierarchies - there's the Council, there are the Masters, there are the Knights and learners. Everyone obeys the Council, but rarely do they answer to eachother directly.

The Sith, however, have a strict pyramidal structure of power. The Emperor above everyone else, then the Dark Council, then the apprentices of the Dark Council, then the apprentices of their apprentices, and apprentiecs of their apprentices - all the way down to aspiring Acolytes who test themselves on Korriban. Even a Darth can be an apprentice to someone (like Darth Loyat was the apprentice of that Dark Council member who we fight on Ilum during the global questline).

My Marauder can be considered very Samurai-esque. He is fiercly loyal to the one that he serves, and willingly embraces all the honours and entitlements that come with being a noble. That said, he despises hedonism and pointless cruelty, because he believes that such self-indulgence is for the weak.

Edited by Helig

unfortunatly samurai as well as most people then AND now, do not practice bushido nor have they any form of honor respect courage or benevolence.

corrected that for you!

This is pretty xenophobic, I wonder how many Japanese people you actually know to come to this conclusion.

However I believe they are more Jedi then Sith.

Edited by GorZie

• 9 months later...
Well the word "Jedi" came from the word "Jidageki" which are Samurai films. Look at the Jedi robes, they almost resemble a Samurai's kimono and look at the lightsaber forms, they all sound Japanese (Ataru, Juyo, Soresu, Makashi to be exact). Also remember that cutscene on Coruscant in one of the Jedi Knight missions? Well, when he draws his lightsaber, he goes into a stance like he is wielding a katana.

Not all Samurai were bad. Most of them followed the Bushido code, or another variant of that code, or there own code. Most people back then saw Samurai as keepers of peace, and there were a few renegade Samurai thrown in within the ranks of the good, but that is the case with every single countries military then and now.

Even our military has soldiers in it that should not be able to be around a weapon.

Not ALL samurai were evil though, just a few. Most fought honorably.

Besides what is noted above by some about the root of the word "Jedi," Liam Nieeson specifically said that he watched the Kurosawa classic Samurai movies to play his role as a Jedi (such as Seven Samurai, which is a great movie). So yeah, the similarity is there.

I also think people are making a big deal out of how some samurai historically behaved and the ideal of a samurai, which was basically a knight in the European sense. Just as the Arthurian legends have knights not behaving as knights, there were samurai who were not behaving as samurai. If you play a dark side Jedi, you're not playing a samurai, you're playing the villain the good samurai fight in any classic samurai story or movie.

I believe the word Samurai literally means 'bonded one' or 'one that serves a noble' the down side of this kind of service is that you had to do as the noble demanded or comit suicide (or probably be killed for insobordination). So the code one lived by had also fit within the meaning of service to ones lord.

There where non bonded Samurai these where called Ronin. mening non bonded one. I guess a ronin was more free to live the code they prefered and probably more suspect as to the motive for their actions.

Edited by Mattmonkey

I also think people are making a big deal out of how some samurai historically behaved and the ideal of a samurai, which was basically a knight in the European sense. Just as the Arthurian legends have knights not behaving as knights, ...

It's not just legends.

unfortunatly samurai as well as most japanese then AND now, do not practice bushido nor have they any form of honor respect courage or benevolence.

especially samurai where known to be especially creul and evil, mistreating underlings, torturing them etc etc. Not to mention the horrific R.A.P.E.(apparently cant say that on forums normally) and torture camps they had for european women in the far east during WW2.

if you want to play a samurai, i suggest you play an evil perverted sith warrior.

You clearly have no actual understanding of the Samurai or their more free subset, the Ronin. I have to assume that if you're referring to an Asian culture, you're not referring to the Japanese but the OTHER one. Those ones, I could agree with as far as their antics go. I think you've got your Asian cultures mixed up as far as the ancient practices go. As far as WW2 is concerned, yes, there were horrific torture camps and such; this is not something that can be debated.

But the OP was not talking about the Samurai of recent years, he was likely speaking of the Samurai and Ronin of the past centuries, the ancient dynasties. Yes, they served some very despicable nobles, and they were honor-bound to do so. You have no understanding of Japanese culture, especially ancient Japanese culture, by your very words. You embarrass yourself more than you instruct others.

A good friend of mine who died a couple years back had a great deal of Japanese knowledge, and he shared it with me. I live MY life by a code of honor, a code of conduct, that he and I devised with our knowledge of the Japanese Samurai/Ronin culture. If we were to go with one or the other, I would say it is more Ronin-like.

To the OP: I think you're thinking more along the lines of a Ronin, who are unbound by any laws or edicts of superiors. They choose their own code of honor by which to live, and they make their own choices as to how to serve what they perceive as the common good. For in-game examples:

A fully Dark Side Sith Warrior who obeys Darth Baras and than the Emperor's Hands would be considered the classic Samurai, bound by his honor to serve. A Light-Side Sith Warrior would be considered a Ronin, as he is attempting to change the Empire for the better from within, and does not follow every command he's given, and gives those he fights the chance to surrender.

On the Jedi side, a Light Side Jedi tends to obey the Council and the Republic, and this would fit with some of the more decent nobles who commanded Samurai. A Dark Jedi chooses his own moral code, and thus is more Ronin-like.

So, as far as your question of if you can play a Samurai-like Jedi is concerned: A samurai is bound by honor to serve those he has committed his life to. A Light Side Jedi has committed him or herself to the Republic and the Jedi Order. A fully light side, no romance Jedi is the most samurai like as far as decent Samurai go. On the Sith side, you go against the grain of the Empire's current state of affairs

In essence, on the two sides, the roles are reversed as far as alignment.