A question for Lightning users

Cerconus

I just switched to the 3/31/7 build and have run into force sustainability issues. Everything I've read and heard is that this build is the most sustainable, but I've gone oof or damm close to it a couple times. I do spam LS alot, could that be the issue?

I'm probably not doing it exactly I'm supposed to but it's something like this: Aff, TB, CD, LS until LB or Lightning Storm proc then FL or CL respectively, after that alot of LS spam and whatever is not on cooldown. Like I said it's not pretty lol

Every once in a great while I throw a shock but nothing that should effect force. I was thinking it was too much LS spam?

LS is your filler. As long as you're using TB and CD on cooldown, keeping Affliction up and casting FL and CL on procc, you should be spamming LS.

Ahhh, that may be it. I will try that and I really have to start paying attention to these builds when I respec and not just blindly put points in lol. Ty guys for all the help/comments. I'll give it a try and see how it goes.

Drop lightning spire and either suppression or electric bindings and put 3 points into electric induction. 9% less force cost for all skills should help a bit.

Shouldn't be needed for Lightning, to be honest. Will help, though, you're right in that. That said, keep in mind that Force costs are ceiling'd after that skill is applied, so you actually get an average of around a 7-8% cost reduction, rarely the full 9%. In addition, that skill still doesn't affect Crushing Darkness or Static Barrier, among others.

Shouldn't be needed for Lightning, to be honest. Will help, though, you're right in that. That said, keep in mind that Force costs are ceiling'd after that skill is applied, so you actually get an average of around a 7-8% cost reduction, rarely the full 9%. In addition, that skill still doesn't affect Crushing Darkness or Static Barrier, among others.

Shouldn't even be using Crushing Darkness as lightning. Maybe at the start of an encounter to get a quick burst of damage, but its worthless throughout a long fight.

Also, there is nothing wrong with shock. As long as you have a decent crit percent, on top of the 9% force reduction, all of your spells will almost always have their force costs cut by 50% for the next two spells after any crit. Instant 2.8k crit from shock for only about 21 Force is win.

I think that's where I'm at with OP buff and a Prototype stim, but our Operative is MIA atm so I may have to wait till he gets back to see a 2.8K crit from shock lol. And it may be a moot point anyway, b/c I think I've just been re-assigned to heals lol

I think that's where I'm at with OP buff and a Prototype stim, but our Operative is MIA atm so I may have to wait till he gets back to see a 2.8K crit from shock lol. And it may be a moot point anyway, b/c I think I've just been re-assigned to heals lol

Well crit does not increase the damage of the critical hit. Surge does that. Crit only increases the frequency of a critical hit. I have 4 toons with the class buff so I always have them. I would suggest rolling a toon and powering it through to get your class buffs.

Shouldn't even be using Crushing Darkness as lightning. Maybe at the start of an encounter to get a quick burst of damage, but its worthless throughout a long fight.

Also, there is nothing wrong with shock. As long as you have a decent crit percent, on top of the 9% force reduction, all of your spells will almost always have their force costs cut by 50% for the next two spells after any crit. Instant 2.8k crit from shock for only about 21 Force is win.

As I've noted in your Lightning Guide thread, Crushing Darkness is a noticeable DPS increase over Lightning Strike. You should be using it on cooldown (assuming other higher priority attacks aren't available at the same time), doing otherwise is an unmitigateable DPS loss.

Shock does less damage per second spent casting (the 1.5 second GCD for Shock) than Lightning Strike, and since LS's cast time scales with Alacrity while Shock's GCD does not, this gap only gets wider as your gear gets better. Shock is also not on Reverberation, so your choice at that point is between a 2465 crit Lightning Strike in 1.4 seconds for 13 Force, or a 1990 crit Shock in 1.5 seconds for 19 Force. Take your pick (also, LS has a 6% higher crit chance to add to that, plus a large number of procs off of it).

Crushing Darkness does alot more than 2.8k total, even w/o a crit.

Actually, assuming ~1000 Bonus Damage, ~35% crit, and ~76% crit multiplier, Crushing Darkness will average only about 3250 damage (including averaged crits) per cast for Lightning. That does, however, give it a DPCT nearly twice that of Lightning Strike.

Actually, assuming ~1000 Bonus Damage, ~35% crit, and ~76% crit multiplier, Crushing Darkness will average only about 3250 damage (including averaged crits) per cast for Lightning. That does, however, give it a DPCT nearly twice that of Lightning Strike.

I consider that to be a lot more. Bad choice of words on my part, vague FTL.

Still more damage however.