Short PvP video - looking for feedback

chrisronline

Hey guys,

I took a short video today during a random, PuG WZ and wanted to get some feedback from the community. I edited the video with some comments of my own and am looking for the same kind of feedback from you guys.

Link:

(Apologies for the quality - I'm not used to video taking/editing)

I'll also be the first to admin that I'm not great at PvP - for example:

1) I rarely remember to use my CC breaker

2) I'm not always facing the right direction in order to cast abilities on enemy players - this wastes at least a second while I adjust and cast

3) My escape routes are sometimes impeded by my "pillars" - I need to get better at not running into them by accident which reduces the effectiveness of the kite

4) I don't usually pay close attention to what kind of spec my opponent has - I assess their potential based on class and usually go from there - there are exceptions of course

5) I have a tendency to tunnel vision and can sometimes forget to check objectives while attempting to kite/stay alive.

But anyways, I'm sure you'll see some of these weaknesses in the video, but I wanted to get a sense if I had an accurate representation of the state of my PvP game and what things to work on now that rated is coming out.

Thanks for any feedback

you're doing fine ^^

don't be too obsessed with trying to slow targets... also in proper premades you should have a tank following ya around, which will reduce quite a fair bit of damage on you... which means you can even try playing full healing tree instead of doing hybrid, which will help with your heals quite a fair bit...

At the moment hybrid specs with control points in the tree are probably the only ways to go now.

For the most part it seemed pretty good, just a few things...

Purging snares on yourself is one of the top priorities

Your knockback is a 360, you don't have to turn around to use it

You can snare people behind you as you are running away if you jump and turn slightly.

If you are LoSing someone to heal, you can run to cover, starting healing, then mouselook to watch instead of turning your character.

I play a sorc, so it was difficult for me to watch which skills you were actually using, but your play seemed reasonable.

For the most part it seemed pretty good, just a few things...

Purging snares on yourself is one of the top priorities

Your knockback is a 360, you don't have to turn around to use it

You can snare people behind you as you are running away if you jump and turn slightly.

If you are LoSing someone to heal, you can run to cover, starting healing, then mouselook to watch instead of turning your character.

I play a sorc, so it was difficult for me to watch which skills you were actually using, but your play seemed reasonable.

Already working on all of these actually - the last tip is good since it should give me more time to actually get the heal off

You did pretty well- the one thing i'd not recommend is running around behind the switch housing away from the melee; I know it seems like you're "saving" yourself, but IMO you are taking yourself away from an ally being able to help you by taking out the guy pursuing you; you also run out of range of a possible healer on your team being able to target you. It seems like a catch-22 sometimes, but I find it more beneficial to use stuns on the guy attacking me, and then just heal myself while the DPS takes over on the guy.

When I play my healer, I rely on not only my tanks, but my DPS to have my back. When I play DPS, I always watch who is attacking my healer and they are my top priority.

Overall, good job though.

If you just stun and heal you also risk more players switching to focus you. At the very least you should move along the side of the building. This removes you from LoS of attackers and forces any dps that follow you to also break LoS from their healers. If the dps following you doesn't have a knockback or push, you can also lure them to the edge behind the hut and knock them off.

If you just stun and heal you also risk more players switching to focus you. At the very least you should move along the side of the building. This removes you from LoS of attackers and forces any dps that follow you to also break LoS from their healers. If the dps following you doesn't have a knockback or push, you can also lure them to the edge behind the hut and knock them off.

Good point - I do understand that is generally bad to LoS my teammates, but in the situation in the video, I'm not communicating well with either of the shadows and I can't guarantee they'll peel, but yes I agree in general :)

Hopefully if I get a chance to play in some rated games, I'll be able to perfect strategies in which I rely on other people - currently, I'm too used to playing by myself and PuGs so I'm not counting on anyone other than myself to survive/defend/attack.

Are you guys also running the hybrid spec? I've been hearing some thoughts about going full heals for rated, but I can't imagine losing the utility from the hybrid spec, but I'm guessing that comes from the lack of accepting people assisting me.

I've been playing the hybrid spec in my sig since 1.2 was announced. In rated matches I am a support healer and the first to rotate to support other nodes. Having the ability to both dps and heal is incredibly valuable in small skirmishes.

Add music of some kind, this would help to see the video is still going on when you pause the footage, and not like the Net is trying to catch up. other then that... not much i can say.