Question from a Commando Trooper Noob

JerForceOne

I need some help on leveling builds for a commando. Bear in mind that I already have 2 50s, a sith marauder and sorcerer. So I'm not a total noob to the game. For some reason though i am really not enjoying playing the trooper. And I don't think it's the difference between melee and ranged that's got me confused. Right now it just doesn't seem fun to play at all.

My commando is a 30 - and I think i am all gunnery so far. Any thoughts on this? Does it get better later? I'm more of a storyline PvE person as opposed to PvP which is typically easier in my experience. But this seems like a chore. So i'm obviously doing something wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

gunnery is fairly simple to use, yes. i generally use hammershot / grav round / full auto / demo round (which you won't get until 40) / high impact bolt for single-target dps

and plasma grenade / sticky grenade / mortar volley / pulse cannon / hail of bolts for aoe dps

so that's really a total of 10 skills i use for actual dps, but once you get curtain of fire and can start shooting Full Auto every 6 or so seconds, it's a bit less monotonous

Spec Gunnery.

Use Elara, your healer pet.

Keep both your and her gear up to date. Easy to do since you use the same stats.*

Remember to CC targets.

Blow giant holes in things.

You shouldn't have any problems. If you do check to make sure something silly didn't happen, like your pet's healing stance turning off for no reason.

When you get a bit higher you can go Assault if you prefer more mobility. It's not worth it until at least L33 though when you can put enough points in the tree for it to start working well. You can go all the way to 50 as Gunnery though and solo Heroic +2s on the way, so it's not necessary unless you just don't like how Gunnery plays.

*Elara starts out with Cunning in her armor, but that's just silly. Fill her up with your hand me down Aim gear, take quest rewards that aren't an upgrade for you but are an upgrade for her.

Spec Gunnery.

Use Elara, your healer pet.

Keep both your and her gear up to date. Easy to do since you use the same stats.*

Remember to CC targets.

Blow giant holes in things.

You shouldn't have any problems. If you do check to make sure something silly didn't happen, like your pet's healing stance turning off for no reason.

When you get a bit higher you can go Assault if you prefer more mobility. It's not worth it until at least L33 though when you can put enough points in the tree for it to start working well. You can go all the way to 50 as Gunnery though and solo Heroic +2s on the way, so it's not necessary unless you just don't like how Gunnery plays.

*Elara starts out with Cunning in her armor, but that's just silly. Fill her up with your hand me down Aim gear, take quest rewards that aren't an upgrade for you but are an upgrade for her.

This. A thousand times this.

Leveled my first 50 as a Gunnery Commando with Elara healing from the second I finished Taris. If you're more of a PVE person there's never a reason to do it any other way (which isn't to say that Assault and CM aren't perfectly viable. Just that if you like gunnery there's never a reason to not use gunnery if you're PVE focused anyway).

• 2 weeks later...

Is it worth it to try and heal in groups with Gunnery talents? I'm only level 23 and feel like I can't throw the heals around fast enough.

Cheers for the advice :-)

Edited by ScuzUK

In the late teens/early 20s I felt like the healing abilities you got as a commando could be pretty useful. Basically mainhealed the last Heroic 4 on Coruscant and off healed some of the Heroics on taris, as well as the odd offheal in Hammer station and Athiss.

That being said, the further you level up the less useful I found heals except in extreme situations, though now that I've finally started PVPing some they've served some useful purpose and I use them more frequently, and they were ALWAYS a good way to help spot heal people on the transition phases of the Soa fight.

Mainhealing though? No. Not really.

Lots of good advice here. Have to say though, while the Assault spec in PvP may not be AS good DPS it makes up for it with your mobility. Right now my Commando (lv 28-Assault) is usually (no, not always) in the top 4 for DPS in WZs. Really once you can put that first point in Ionic Accelerator it may not be top notch DPS, but it sure will add up faster. : ).

I usually play a healer in MMOs which is probably why I avoided it this time around, so I cannot speak for the Combat Medic Tree. The best advice I have ever read on these forums regarding specs or how to spend ones skill points though was this. Try lots of different combinations, all 3 trees, mix and match, try it all, and then play whatever is the most fun! Good luck and have fun out there!