Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Thoughts on GameSpy's Article on SWTOR

Fox_McCloud

Are you even reading anymore?

No one said "the best gear comes from karma." All that was ever said is that you can buy gear using karma collected from events and leveling (you can get karma for saving NPCs in the tutorial). All I've ever said is that your level is down-scaled when you go back to lower level areas. That's it. You're trying to put words in my mouth, grasping at any straw you can, to try and disprove what is obvious to everyone else.

I'll break it down nice and simple for you: GW2 allows high level players to return to low levels--be it to do events or help low level players. This is because the game automatically scales players to a specific level bracket based on the level of the area they're in. So as played adventures around, there is no such thing as an area too easy for them to do (while areas can still be too hard for them to do.

When your level is adjusted by going into a lower-level area, the gear found by killing mobs is scaled to your total level--not your adjusted level. So a level 10 player in a level 5 area will still earn level 10 gear.

Awards from events in these lower level areas are not scaled to your level, but to your participation and the difficulty of the event itself. This means that a high level player, going back to do events, is earning the same amount of karma they would if their level was not adjusted.

Why? Because when their level is adjusted, the low levels areas are still a challenge, despite the adjustment. A level 10 players in a level 5 zone (his level would likely be adjusted to 6) will find the level 5 area to still be a challenge. Where he has an advantage, however, is that the boosts he or she earns from their gear are higher than that of a true level 5 and he or she will likely have more skills available to them.

So there is absolutely no reason for a player to grind out karma or gear in low level zones just because they're a higher level, thinking that it would be a breeze; the down-scaling of their level makes it just as challenging as it was the first time they did it.

+1 and they be adding new events all over the lvl range so "max" lvls can find new events. end game content thats not end game shocking !

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 and they be adding new events all over the lvl range so "max" lvls can find new events. end game content thats not end game shocking !

I can understand why it's shocking or confusing for people to grasp; it's a very different paradigm. That said, it makes sense and having experienced it in practice, it works brilliantly. I can't help but think, "Duh! Why hasn't this been done in every other game to date?"

Edited by Dezzi

Lol GameSpy is GW2's propaganda dog.

However 3 of my closest friends who have been playing BETA are not. They've told me repeatedly that they've just stopped playing their other MMO's because all they want to play is GW2. I'm inclined to trust my friends more than -any- other source.

I agreed with this sentence: "Once you leave the vivid cutscenes, most of SWTOR's galaxy is a pretty lifeless place" It's true, in swtor is all static, there isn't changement, npcs attack only after your first attack, it's all too static in swtor and that's a very negative aspect of this game.

Regarding the PvP aspect we can't say anything because SWTOR is a PvE game and GW2 is a PvP game.

GW2 is not a PvP game. Everybody who thinks so is deluding themselves. GW2's core is PvE, with attached, optional PvP. WAR is a PvP game.

What comes to "lifeless", there is some truth to that, but no more than in most other MMOs (I took part in TSW's latest beta weekend, and what I saw there was at least as lifeless as in SWTOR). Personally I don't think that BW has made the best use of the many detailed, big planets they have made, using them to too large an extent as mere backgrounds.

In this I see the solo-RPG heritage of BW showing through; SWTOR planets have a bit more life to them as the worlds of BW's solo-RPG games, but not by much, and yet nobody really complains about the lifelessness in let's say in the ME series. None of the SWTOR planets would draw complaints if we would have met them in KOTOR 3.

But they are something that BW should work on.

Edited by Rouge

GW2 is not a PvP game. Everybody who thinks so is deluding themselves. GW2's core is PvE, with attached, optional PvP. WAR is a PvP game.

What comes to "lifeless", there is some truth to that, but no more than in most other MMOs. Personally I don't think that BW has made the best use of the many detailed, big planets they have made, using them to too large an extent as mere backgrounds. In this I see the solo-RPG heritage of BW showing through; SWTOR planets have a bit more life to them as the worlds of BW's solo-RPG games, and nobody really complains about them. Any of them would draw no complaints if we would have met them in KOTOR 3.

But they are something that BW should work on.

The good news is that they're aware of complaints that the game world feels dead. The bad news is that James Ohlen thinks the problem will be solved by bigger server populations.

Edited by Dezzi

The good news is that they're aware of complaints that the game world feels dead. The bad news is that James Ohlen thinks bigger server populations will solve this.

It won't. The basic way the planets have been made works against that. A partial cure would be to just put taxi points and some quests in "enemy territory" on the planets where the areas of the planet have been divided, but not by physical barriers. It would lead to more encounters between the different sides. Another possible cure would be to create level 50 zones on the most important lower planets, like the capital planets. I for example would think that PvP zones on both capital planets would be great successes. Fight the enemy in your capital, with an NPC invasion occurring in the PvE parts of the capital as a result of a loss, for example. But...

I think that most of the planets are too big and there are too many of them considering how much people are passing through them even at the best of times on the most crowded servers.

The planets that work best are the smaller ones. I think that either all the planets should have been at most the size of the capital planets or that we would have been given let's say just half of the current planets and with more of the action concentrated on them to create larger populations.

The article is just a fantasy written by an apparent GW2 superfan to an audience GW2 fans. It's a ridiculously piece of partisanship and just a sermon preached to GW2 believers, who fill the comment section.

It's an example, both the article and the comments, of the GW2 superhype campaign that goes far beyond what has been seen for any MMO before - or is likely to be seen ever for any other MMO.

Its acurate both of the articles had good points in them, many of the ponts on the older article were flagged up by beta players. I just wonder if in a years time we will be seeing "Why Elder scrolls online is much better than GW2". When a game is being released its easy to imagine its going to tick every box, once it is we are lucky if it ticks half the boxes and we are lucky if the dev team even acknowledge the short commings.

GW2 "cult" is driven by a fanatic fanbase figuratively whipped into a frenzy by the developer; the fans of Elder Scrolls series seem to approach Elder Scrolls Online with apprehension and even dislike (it's largely a version of the "I don't want SWTOR, I want KOTOR 3" with less defenders of MMO installment for the series, with added complaint about losing the first-person view in effect if not necessarily in theory etc). It's unlikely to be hyped to heavens, although some hype will naturally appear. I think the expectations for it both among media and gamers will be relatively modest when it comes out.

Edited by Rouge

GW2 "cult" is driven by a fanatic fanbase figuratively whipped into a frenzy by the developer; the fans of Elder Scrolls series seem to approach Elder Scrolls Online with apprehension and even dislike (it's largely a version of the "I don't want SWTOR, I want KOTOR 3" with less defenders of MMO installment for the series, with added complaint about losing the first-person view in effect if not necessarily in theory etc). It's unlikely to be hyped to heavens, although some hype will naturally appear. I think the expectations for it both among media and gamers will be relatively modest when it comes out.

ESO was finished the moment they announced its features would have more in common with SWTOR than any other game. I was extremely disappointed, as a long time ES fan, to discover that it's basically just SWTOR 2.0.

The most important part being:

5. So Far, ArenaNet is Better at Addressing Player Concerns Than BioWare

Keep in mind that we're just about at SWTOR's half-year anniversary (we've already passed it if you count the head start), and yet we haven't seen anything remotely like Rift's half-birthday event. BioWare, it seems, is a little cautious about celebrating. Instead, features that should have been added months ago, such as better group-finding tools, are just now announced as making their way in via a patch that still doesn't have a release date.

What the SWTOR forums must have looked like from BioWare's point of view.

ArenaNet, on the other hand, went all-out in making players happy for last week's beta event, taking into account the feedback from the previous one. For one, they doubled the amount of available servers, which helped with the concerns about lag. For another, the cash shop now feels less like similar interfaces in Facebook social games and more like a lore-based trading company. Others fixes included adding chat bubbles, allowing keybind customization, putting the energy meter for dodging in a more intuitive place, a redesigned minimap (I'm on the fence about that one), and improved feedback for when you've hit a target. If they can whip all that out in around a month, we have very few reasons to worry ArenaNet taking anywhere near as long to fix things as BioWare has.

ESO was finished the moment they announced its features would have more in common with SWTOR than any other game. I was extremely disappointed, as a long time ES fan, to discover that it's basically just SWTOR 2.0.

Of course they didn't announce that. In reality, it's the "solo MMO" that people claimed SWTOR would be for the main PvE story, but it's that to draw in the Elder Scrolls fans. It has PvP to draw in others and so on. A mix of existing MMO features, with some attempt to resurrect largely forgotten features, like public dungeos. It will have something of SWTOR, some of Elder Scrolls, and much from previous MMOs.

The fact is that even when all contenders to WoW have sadly failed - including SWTOR, which frankly, depresses me - some game will eventually make the big breakthrough. The game which will be the "next WoW" might not be the most innovative or even the best one around according to hardcores and game media. Amalur and DMO having fallen from the competition, Elder Scrolls Online might not have to be truly great to do well or even achieve that breakthrough, which each year makes more likely as WoW ages.

Edited by Rouge

Correction... I found the cut scenes to be uncomfortable, but they're a work in progress, nor are they the most appealing aspect of the game for me.

The cutscenes were supposed to be in the launch version the same as they are in beta. They were even praised better than SWTOR's cinematicals by Forbes magazine... Their simplicity being a homage to Guild Wars' roots of Asian RPGs and serving gameplay by not being up to much, so that you wouldn't spend much time with them. ;) Has ArenaNet got cold feet or are the enhanced cutscene claims just speculation by desperate GW2 fans? :confused:

The cutscenes were supposed to be in the launch version the same as they are in beta. They were even praised better than SWTOR's cinematicals by Forbes magazine... Their simplicity being a homage to Guild Wars' roots of Asian RPGs and serving gameplay by not being up to much, so that you wouldn't spend much time with them. ;) Has ArenaNet got cold feet or are the enhanced cutscene claims just speculation by desperate GW2 fans? :confused:

They're just too stiff, I think. I do see their spiritual lineage, though.

Having played SWTOR, I can't see the cut scenes in GW2--in their current iteration--as being anything other than forced. Still, I can appreciate their value as a newly-minted staple of cinematic questing and thank the Maker they feature only seldom.

Edited by Dezzi

Hello there!

We ask that threads made in General Discussion center on Star Wars™: The Old Republic™. Since this thread has derailed into a discussion solely about Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2, we're closing it for being off-topic. Thanks for understanding!

Edited by CommunitySupportEN