The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Advanced Proto or Pyro DPS (leveling and endgame)?

Toogeloo

I made a Vangaurd and posted this on their forum several hours ago with no results yet, so I figured I would ask here as well...

I have been leveling using both PvE and PvP, and I am sticking to DPS for now until 50. I haven't decided if I might start tanking at 50 or stick to DPS, but I wanted to get a feel for how others view the DPS specs of this class (mirror).

I am currently leveling as the Pyrotech version of my Vanguard, and it seems really easy so far, only uses about 4 or 5 skills, but I have major energy issues, and have to spam white damage alot more than I like as well. The dps is pretty good, but I wish it could be better if I could lay off the white spam.

Is Advanced Prototype better or equivalent dps? Is it more energy efficient? Is it just as user friendly?

Advanced prototype is definitely more energy efficient, but it does not have the damage potential as pyro.

I always say, if you're a powertech and you're not Pyro in pvp, you are doing it wrong. The way the talents are set up, pyro has hands down the best talents that all work together to increase your dps. In shield tech there are a lot of wasted talents that you are forced to take and a lot of the advanced prototype talents add a little bit of utility. The pyrotech talents almost all add to your dps.

Whenever I see a shield tech or advanced prototype powertech in a game, I fight them to get them down to about 10%, then I stop to type out to them "you should change to pyro spec" and then finish them off.

Edit: I also want to say, if you are pyro and only using 4-5 abilities, you are also doing it wrong. Powertechs have so many other abilities that help your team and yourself if used well.

Edited by TirjacShiki

I meant that their standard rotation only involves about 4-5 abilities. There are obvious other abilities, but the standard priority list only uses those 4 or 5 base attacks, and was mentioning that from a PvE perspective. Edited by Toogeloo