Leaving the Jedi

I'm curious, once you join the jedi, are you allowed to leave? I mean, they do forcibly conscript people at a young age, what if they decide they don't want to be jedi? Also, if you're an adult (or at least old enough to reason) and you're asked to join, can you say that you don't want to join?

To clarify, by leaving I mean are you just allowed to tell your jedi master "Hey, I'm gonna leave the order now, thanks for the invite though!"; or can you only leave by fleeing the order.

I'm curious, once you join the jedi, are you allowed to leave? I mean, they do forcibly conscript people at a young age, what if they decide they don't want to be jedi? Also, if you're an adult (or at least old enough to reason) and you're asked to join, can you say that you don't want to join?

To clarify, by leaving I mean are you just allowed to tell your jedi master "Hey, I'm gonna leave the order now, thanks for the invite though!"; or can you only leave by fleeing the order.

Jolee Bindo left the Jedi.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jolee_Bindo

If you are an adult I seriously doubt there is much in the way they could do to conscript people to join.

If you want to leave you leave. Yes they may try to talk you out of it but basically it your choice. Just because some is force sensitive does't mean they have to be a jedi or even a sith for that matter.

Edited by ScarletBlaze

I've always wondered how leaving the Order worked. In the prequel trilogy they talked about there being 20 (was Anakin considered 21?) "lost" Jedi. Count Dooku was one of them. It seems like you're pretty much allowed to just leave if you want to. I found it kind of weird though that they give these people all this power through their teachings, and then just allow them to walk away freely. Seems like that would be a pretty dangerous to have these people walking around with all that power and no more rules.

Huh, didn't know that Bindo's exile was self-imposed, I thought he was exiled by the Council. So you can just up and leave the order, the above poster is right though, that does seem dangerous.

Would depend on the person and the reason they left. If they left angry or mad then it could be a problem. If they left because they didn't feel like it was for them, then it shouldn't be a problem. Each person is different so we can't say how each person would act after they left. Bindo left the order yet all he did was help the Wookies on Kasyy. Dooku left the order and became Sith. Two different people two different actions.

I was under the impression Dooku left the Order because he wasn't happy with the way it was going, then was approached by Palpatine rather than him leaving the Order to join the Sith. Funny how he joined the same corruption he was unhappy with.

I think you can leave freely, just that most don't because they follow the teachings like a religion and believe they are doing the right thing by the galaxy.

Just because one can leave freely from the Jedi Order does not mean that the Jedi Order ignores them. More than likely they (try to) keep an eye on those who leave the order. Obviously it does not always work since Dooku slipped past their observation.