Do we HAVE TO transfer?

Przemo_No

We were stunned when we found out our server was selected for free transfers off rather than to.

Unless there are better options open for us as a guild, we can not transfer. Our current guild on swtor is small at the present time, but being a multi gaming guild, more members will be on their way once we have done as much of the content for our remaining raid teams in our other main game as the members would like to. Our current target server is the Bastion. We've had several members already roll alts on that server to see what it is like. What we found is that more than likely a third of our members, current and the ones starting to come over or return now, will lag out due to high population issues. This will make the game unplayable for us as a guild. Most of our members have been playing together for over 7 years already. We're not going to tell them they all have to pony up a bunch of cash to get new rigs before they can join us. Several of our long time core raiders are career professionals who have to travel on a weekly basis and often play from hotel rooms. Some members are reporting that their screen is black for nearly two minutes when they zone into the fleet on the Bastion. Some get kicked from the fleet due to lag even at 5am.

I hope Bioware has an answer for us soon. We have a lot of unhappy guild members who typically sub for the long term, not just month to month. If we are forced to relocate to a server we are unable to enjoyably play on, it will not make sense to continue subscribing. We're not talking about hard core players that just blow through content and then drop their subs. We're talking about players that want to savor the game and sub for the long term.

Too bad. This game has such great potential. People are just too impatient theses days. :(

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

We were stunned when we found out our server was selected for free transfers off rather than to.

Unless there are better options open for us as a guild, we can not transfer. Our current guild on swtor is small at the present time, but being a multi gaming guild, more members will be on their way once we have done as much of the content for our remaining raid teams in our other main game as the members would like to. Our current target server is the Bastion. We've had several members already roll alts on that server to see what it is like. What we found is that more than likely a third of our members, current and the ones starting to come over or return now, will lag out due to high population issues. This will make the game unplayable for us as a guild. Most of our members have been playing together for over 7 years already. We're not going to tell them they all have to pony up a bunch of cash to get new rigs before they can join us. Several of our long time core raiders are career professionals who have to travel on a weekly basis and often play from hotel rooms. Some members are reporting that their screen is black for nearly two minutes when they zone into the fleet on the Bastion. Some get kicked from the fleet due to lag even at 5am.

I hope Bioware has an answer for us soon. We have a lot of unhappy guild members who typically sub for the long term, not just month to month. If we are forced to relocate to a server we are unable to enjoyably play on, it will not make sense to continue subscribing. We're not talking about hard core players that just blow through content and then drop their subs. We're talking about players that want to savor the game and sub for the long term.

Too bad. This game has such great potential. People are just too impatient theses days. :(

You cant blame BioWare because some of your folks computers cant handle a full instance. That's not their fault, that's just life.

Besides, that whole excuse is a load of crap, the only place you ever see a TON of people running around at once is the fleet, which isnt that big of a deal.

Your FPs and Ops are all instanced, most of the planets even on a full server have around 50 people, which is the same as it was at launch.

You cant blame BioWare because some of your folks computers cant handle a full instance. That's not their fault, that's just life.

Besides, that whole excuse is a load of crap, the only place you ever see a TON of people running around at once is the fleet, which isnt that big of a deal.

Your FPs and Ops are all instanced, most of the planets even on a full server have around 50 people, which is the same as it was at launch.

So what happened to Ilum? ;)

So what happened to Ilum? ;)

Who cares, nobody likes PvP anyway ;)

Ilum was a poorly designed planet from a performance standpoint anyway.

I mean, honestly this isnt 1999, update your damn computer. I have 3 kids and all the bills that come with it and I still can afford a computer that runs the game fine.

If my clan plays a New Shooter and It wont run on my machine, you think the WHOLE clan shouldnt play just because a few of us have crap computers? of course not, nor is it the fault of the developers of that game.

Since they've been making improvements to serve stability, there really hasnt been any issues with lag when playing the game. I have been on the Fatman Server for quite some time, and recently we have seen the biggest population spike in quite some time, but still, due to stability updates, the server has maintained its quality. They made sure to get the servers ready before transferring hundereds of people to these servers, so I have one suggestion... SWTOR does take quite a decently powered machine to run, if they are having issues with lag, then they either need to turn down the settings for graphics, check their internet connection, or get a better computer. This isnt wow, this game has some pretty decent graphics considering its an MMO.

I asked the question yesterday because I couldn't transfer a character due to having 8 already on the destination server. Here's the response:

Greetings Navorski,

Unfortunately there isn't an answer we can provide at the moment. This is because we haven't officially announced any further information based on what will be happening to servers post transfers.

We will however be able to give plenty of notice on our website when information about this is released.

Thank You.

Axolipher | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

My thought is at some point in the near future the old servers will be shut down and you will be forced to move. Although, it might be a couple of months after paid transfers are allowed.

I'm not crazy about the idea of losing my names either (well one name, the others can change for all I care). Further irking me is I have no real choice in this "optional" transfer since at some point it will become mandatory. I feel like I am being bent over the pool table because I didn't initially (I started day 2 of the head start) pick a high pop server.

Who cares, nobody likes PvP anyway ;)

Ilum was a poorly designed planet from a performance standpoint anyway.

I mean, honestly this isnt 1999, update your damn computer. I have 3 kids and all the bills that come with it and I still can afford a computer that runs the game fine.

If my clan plays a New Shooter and It wont run on my machine, you think the WHOLE clan shouldnt play just because a few of us have crap computers? of course not, nor is it the fault of the developers of that game.

I loathe PvP. :p

The problem with SWTOR is that many decent modern rigs have trouble running this game. When you have a group of people enjoying other games--in the same genre--but have no problems except for here, it's time to face the music; the Hero Engine is not a great engine and it has trouble supporting increasing numbers of avatars in a space at a time. That, coupled with really uninspired gameplay, is what ruined Ilum.

There is no "Ilum", so what he said is true. The only place there is going to be any real noticeable lag is on Fleet.

He was trying to say that the game itself has no performance problems. If that were the case, Ilum would still be here--bad gameplay and all. SWTOR does have performance troubles--regardless of your cheap or expensive rig--and Ilum is the case study.

Edited by Dezzi

I asked the question yesterday because I couldn't transfer a character due to having 8 already on the destination server. Here's the response:

My thought is at some point in the near future the old servers will be shut down and you will be forced to move. Although, it might be a couple of months after paid transfers are allowed.

This. They're taking dead servers and making them deader. I was on Gauntlet of Kresch (however it's spelled) and it was already a wasteland, now that transfers are happening it's even worse. I transferred over to Harbinger just to have somebody to talk to. It seems like they're doing it the nice way (relatively speaking) to begin with, but will eventually just consolidate or shut down the truly dead servers.

He was trying to say that the game itself has no performance problems. If that were the case, Ilum would still be here--bad gameplay and all. SWTOR does have performance troubles--regardless of your cheap or expensive rig--and Ilum is the case study.

The problem with Ilum performance was Ilum itself. I don't think the game as a whole has that issue, as just two nights ago we had a cross-faction event on Nar Shaddaa where well over 200 people were there, and it was still quite playable.

Edited by JeramieCrowe

Because on a highly populated server you spend more time waiting for re-spawns than actually playing the content if the content you primarily enjoy playing isn't solely instanced.

This is where ArenaNet got it spot on with GW1 - everything is instanced. If you want to group for something you can but if you want to be the only player in a quest area you can do that too. The whole concept of open world is a failure when it's only used for questing because whilst questing the last thing you really want is an open world.

Every piece of content that requires other people in this game is instanced with small numbers of players. Every piece of content which can be done solo (and is usually better to do solo) allows unlimited numbers of players to be in there fighting for the same spawns. I know it's the standard AAA MMO model but it's kind of strange.

Sounds like you're playing the wrong game then. I enjoy open world's very much, I enjoy seeing people, it's not a fail.