SWTOR "looking at free-to-play"?

Abominant

You are correct. But so do the choices BioWare makes. :cool: And some of thier choices led to this thread in the first place. ;)

What choice was it that created this thread exactly, bad reporting, people reading what they want into an article that no longer exists ?

• Replies 998
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see your point, honestly.

In your own link Frank Gibeau, who is an athority for you, admits that if they see it necessary they will go f2p for SWTOR, what is what BW said in IGN article (unless lead technical designer Emmanuel Lusinchi is not a BW employee).

So either both sources are unreliable (SWTOR haters) or both are reliable since they are saying the same.

That is the issue. We sometimes will see things based on what we want to see and beleave. Time will prove who is seeing the truth and not looking thru rose colored glasses. Or has the clear lens glasses on. ;)

Frank is on about the trial upto lvl 15 which was announced at E3 but i think your just trolling me.

He's saying way more than that.

Frank:

"The advent of free-to-play is certainly a change in the dynamic of the PC market. I don't think subscriptions ever go away, but when you have an IP as broad as Star Wars, we're definitely going to look at opportunities to grow that business and look at different ways of bringing customers in and serving them"

Lusinchi:

“The MMO market is very dynamic and we need to be dynamic as well. Unless people are happy with what they have, they are constantly demanding updates, new modes and situations. So we are looking at free-to-play but I can’t tell you in much detail. We have to be flexible and adapt to what is going on.”

Has anybody compared these two quotes? It's beautiful. I bet they were on a conference call a few hours earlier and said somthing like: "Ok, let's mention a possible change in our subscription model. Nothing to fancy, don't give them to much. Just drop some blabla about market dynamics and our willingness to adept. And use your own words so it doesn't sound to similar." :)

I don't see your point, honestly.

In your own link Frank Gibeau, who is an athority for you, admits that if they see it necessary they will go f2p for SWTOR, what is what BW said in IGN article (unless lead technical designer Emmanuel Lusinchi is not a BW employee).

So either both sources are unreliable (SWTOR haters) or both are reliable since they are saying the same.

Lets look at the facts, frank is on about sucking people in via free access, discussing f2p on other games and thats it, the other article thats no where to be found (which says alot) was an extract from a bigger article and pulled down for a reason.

So its not a case of neither sources are reliable but its like me saying on your quote that you only said this,

Emmanuel Lusinchi is not a BW employee.

I know that isnt all you said, you know that isnt all you said, but its in black and white.

He's saying way more than that.

Frank:

"The advent of free-to-play is certainly a change in the dynamic of the PC market. I don't think subscriptions ever go away, but when you have an IP as broad as Star Wars, we're definitely going to look at opportunities to grow that business and look at different ways of bringing customers in and serving them"

Lusinchi:

“The MMO market is very dynamic and we need to be dynamic as well. Unless people are happy with what they have, they are constantly demanding updates, new modes and situations. So we are looking at free-to-play but I can’t tell you in much detail. We have to be flexible and adapt to what is going on.”

Has anybody compared these two quotes? It's beautiful. I bet they were on a conference call a few hours earlier and said somthing like: "Ok, let's mention a possible change in our subscription model. Nothing to fancy, don't give them to much. Just drop some blabla about market dynamics and our willingness to adept. And use your own words so it doesn't sound to similar." :)

so what your showing there is that you took 2 small quotes out of larger articles to say exactly what you wanted.

Edited by Shingara

What choice was it that created this thread exactly, bad reporting, people reading what they want into an article that no longer exists ?

You are truely wearing rose colored glasses if you think TOR has not lost a ton of subs and there are reasons they have and it is based on the choices BioWare has made. The end results are allways on the shoulders of the creator of a product. Failure to make the right choices will continue to lead to lost subs. Of course this will be shown to be true as the sub reports come in the next couple cycles.

Anyone who thinks TOR has anywere near the 1.3 million subs reported last quarter now.. is only fooling themselves. And some of those MMO's which lost a lot of subs have gone to FTP. Thus the reason this thread exists. I donot think it is too late for BioWare and if they make some good decisions down the road they can slow the lost of subs and make this game into what it should be. I hope they do. I really do. TOR has such great potential.

You are truely wearing rose colored glasses if you think TOR has not lost a ton of subs and there are reasons they have and it is based on the choices BioWare has made. The end results are allways on the shoulders of the creator of a product. Failure to make the right choices will continue to lead to lost subs. Of course this will be shown to be true as the sub reports come in the next couple cycles.

Anyone who thinks TOR has anywere near the 1.3 million subs reported last quarter now.. is only fooling themselves. And some of those MMO's which lost a lot of subs have gone to FTP. Thus the reason this thread exists. I donot think it is too late for BioWare and if they make some good decisions down the road they can slow the lost of subs and make this game into what it should be. I hope they do. I really do. TOR has such great potential.

how many games under tors subscription numbers still run subscriptions, what is swtors rank amongst the biggest mmos out at the moment ?

Only rose tints i see around here are people who think over a million subs on an mmo is a bad sign.

Heroic raid gear is up for sale in the Black Market auction house on the mob beta.

You cannot go by what is on the beta. lol! They do all types of silly stuff and leave out content...switch things around and such in betas. Once it gets on Live and it is that way..then you can say they are doing it that way.

:cool:

I agree. But with TOR..in 5 months, only one level 50 FP?s Where as in WoW I can run 3 - 6 raids per week? I feel like the monthly sub for WoW is well worth it. It really does boil down to how you feel your money spent each month is worth it or not. Now if during the last 5 months, apart from the initial purchase price, TOR was FTP, would I feel the same way with TOR? More than likely not. Because apart from the lack of end game content to do in a timely manner and thier crappy crafting system, it is a great game.

only 1 FP in 5 months? what are you smoking?

There is at least what 5 level Flashpoints. Kaion Under Seige, Lost Isand, Battle for Ilum, False Emperor and Directive 7.

You can run 3 raids in SWTOR a week too 6 if you play Story mode and hard mode, You have Eternety Vault, Karaga's Palace, and Exposive Conflict.

How is that a lack of an end game? Thats a lot of content for a game that has only been out 6 months and they intended to add a new operation and flashpoint plus a whole new planet with more levels

Edited by jarjarloves

The original dev team for wow who left said something similar too if i remember right. Didnt they create hellgate london ?

And the bulk of there d3 players if not all are wow players, they locked them in with the AP and mop beta so they will be testing the RMAH there 1st.

1.6 million WoW players did the annual pass for the game to get D3 free. The game sold 4.7 million copies. Do not exaggerate because you donot like a game. Just sayin...

1.6 million WoW players did the annual pass for the game to get D3 free. The game sold 4.7 million copies. Do not exaggerate because you donot like a game. Just sayin...

lol kettle pot black, btw i aint exagerating, and really only 1.6 million out of 11 million which they had at the time they sold that deal, not to cracking is it when they gave away D3 and MOP beta with that deal. and also if that 4.7 mil sold is D3 knock of 1.6 as they count towards it, now take into account south korea just banned the buying of virtual items and selling virtual currency. Alot of those D3's are goin back to the shop :D

Edited by Shingara

only 1 FP in 5 months? what are you smoking?

There is at least what 5 level Flashpoints. Kaion Under Seige, Lost Isand, Battle for Ilum, False Emperor and Directive 7.

You can run 3 raids in SWTOR a week too 6 if you play Story mode and hard mode, You have Eternety Vault, Karaga's Palace, and Exposive Conflict.

How is that a lack of an end game? Thats a lot of content for a game that has only been out 6 months and they intended to add a new operation and flashpoint plus a whole new planet with more levels

You are not understanding. I have done some lower level FP;s, but only one level ""50"" FP. Get it? The game does not lack end game content. I never said that it did. The issue has been accessing that content in a timely manner. This is not a issue only I have had, but many others have also. Sure, maybe you on your server have not..which is great. But donot assume every player on the other servers have the same experence you do. And I donot do drugs dude. Drop that attitude. :rolleyes:

that just means 1.6 million bought the annual pass. That doesn't mean the rest of the 3.1 million don't have WoW subscriptions.

You are not understanding. I have done some lower level FP;s, but only one level ""50"" FP. Get it? The game does not lack end game content. I never said that it did. The issue has been accessing that content in a timely manner. This is not a issue only I have had, but many others have also. Sure, maybe you on your server have not..which is great. But donot assume every player on the other servers have the same experence you do. And I donot do drugs dude. Drop that attitude. :rolleyes:

it's called join a guild or make friends. Finding 3 other people to do 1 flashpoint is not difficult even on dead servers. Of course that is a mute point now since they did the server transfers.

lol kettle pot black, btw i aint exagerating, and really only 1.6 million out of 11 million which they had at the time they sold that deal, not to cracking is it when they gave away D3 and MOP beta with that deal. and also if that 4.7 mil sold is D3 knock of 1.6 as they count towards it, now take into account south korea just banned the buying of virtual items and selling virtual currency.

Sure you was exaggerating.....you said and I quote..." And the bulk of there d3 players if not all are wow players, " Which it purely a assumption based on your personal hatered for a game. There are a lot of players playing D3 who donot play WoW. I cannot disagree with you on the real money AH. I think it is bad for the industry.

Sure you was exaggerating.....you said and I quote..." And the bulk of there d3 players if not all are wow players, " Which it purely a assumption based on your personal hatered for a game. There are a lot of players playing D3 who donot play WoW. I cannot disagree with you on the real money AH. I think it is bad for the industry.

My personal hatred for a game aye :p thats a new one on me. I cant win, if i say something slightly good about swtor i get called a fanboi, if i look at an article about trials and realise its about trials after it was announced at E3 then im wearing rose tinted glasses, but the second i say the bulk of d3 players if not all are wow players, past and present tense and im a hater.

BTW dont take lightly whats going on in korea when it comes to blizzard.

Edited by Shingara

it's called join a guild or make friends. Finding 3 other people to do 1 flashpoint is not difficult even on dead servers. Of course that is a mute point now since they did the server transfers.

Only if it was that easy. Which it is'nt. The fact is TOR lacks the tools needed to help players who play at different times of the day experence end game content in a timely manner. Even on high pop servers. Not everyone can play at peak times you know? This is getting off topic tho....but I guess is related somewhat to the topic of this thread. That is reasons why TOR may someday go to FTP.

Only if it was that easy. Which it is'nt. The fact is TOR lacks the tools needed to help players who play at different times of the day experence end game content in a timely manner. Even on high pop servers. Not everyone can play at peak times you know? This is getting off topic tho....but I guess is related somewhat to the topic of this thread. That is reasons why TOR may someday go to FTP.

i play through the night, so whats my excuse for not having this, genuinly asking.

i play through the night, so whats my excuse for not having this, genuinly asking.

Lol! you tell me. Lucky? Happen to roll on a high pop server which happens to have enough players who play when you do? Which time zone server? And compare that to where you live..etc...Could be for a lot of reasons. :rolleyes:

Lol! you tell me. Lucky? Happen to roll on a high pop server which happens to have enough players who play when you do? Which time zone server? And compare that to where you live..etc...Could be for a lot of reasons. :rolleyes:

UK and the red eclipse, my night time is the servers night time. so what your basically saying is that due to me having the ability to play on a populated server is the reason i do not have those problems.

Greetings everyone!

Since this thread has reached our posting threshold we have closed it and recreated it HERE for you to continue this discussion. Please make sure to note our reminder for posting prior to replying.

Thank you!