Super servers

metalgearyoda

The right thing is apparently to funnel everyone onto the Fatman and let us start ************ about queues all over again.

Problem solved. *dusts off hands*

Let's suppose they don't raise "The Fatman's" max population...

EVEN IF THEY DON'T...

I'd rather play on that server than an empty server.

I am sure they are raising server limits anyway. Bioware knows we need super-filled servers to be successful.

Edited by Arkerus

RIFT Did the same thing, catered to people complaining about ques and made way too many servers. It hurt RIFT horribly. That game has a fraction of the population it deserves because of how they mismanaged their servers. WAR also suffered from this, we're looking at 3 games at different points in their lifespan based on server mismanagement. RIFT has slowly recovered while WAR is for all intents and purposes, dead.

TOR needs superservers. They can't keep playing catch up and doing merge after merge. They need to merge everything down until the only servers left are at full capacity with ques, because 6 months from now population will still drop, It's just the lifecycle of an MMO now. No MMO will ever do what WoW did again, so expecting that kind of rampant growth is foolish. Prepare for declining populations and keep as many subs as possible with content and full servers.

Its funny...

The only game that had horrible server queues and did next to nothing about it was WoW...and they now have 9-10MM subs.

Yes, they opened more server but it was MUCH longer down the road when they proved they had the population.

Nice one sentence summary, LOL.

I'm pretty sure they'll have a bit better foresight moving forward, in general

I don't know if I'd go that far. They've definitely shown that they can recognize problems and try to fix them months after the problem began, but even now, they've shown very little ability to recognize and deal with issues when or before they occur.

Let's suppose they don't raise "The Fatman's" max population...

EVEN IF THEY DON'T...

I'd rather play on that server than an empty server.

I am sure they are raising server limits anyway. Bioware knows we need super-filled servers to be successful.

They already said they were. In fact, I believe they said they were going to do that before they were going to do the consolidations of this week, implying they've actually happened already.

For example, people have been saying Fatman's population has dropped from Full or Very Heavy to Standard ever since Diablo 3 came out, but I'm thinking that might have also been around the time they increased the server cap, too.

Edited by YanksfanJP

RIFT Did the same thing, catered to people complaining about ques and made way too many servers. It hurt RIFT horribly. That game has a fraction of the population it deserves because of how they mismanaged their servers. WAR also suffered from this, we're looking at 3 games at different points in their lifespan based on server mismanagement. RIFT has slowly recovered while WAR is for all intents and purposes, dead.

TOR needs superservers. They can't keep playing catch up and doing merge after merge. They need to merge everything down until the only servers left are at full capacity with ques, because 6 months from now population will still drop, It's just the lifecycle of an MMO now. No MMO will ever do what WoW did again, so expecting that kind of rampant growth is foolish. Prepare for declining populations and keep as many subs as possible with content and full servers.

You don't think that it's possible that SWTOR's population will grow instead of drop if they do a really good job in the next 6 months with the server issues, 1.3 is a success and ranked warzones actually work out? Considering how many people tried the game at launch, and how many people left because of various issues, I don't think it's a stretch to think that a decent amount of them would return if Bioware gets their act together. Especially when Panda Pokemon is released and people just don't like it that much, it could happen.