Which healer is best for me?

Kira_Sidian

I come form a WoW background were I played a Resto Druid, Holy/Disc Priest, and a Holy Paladin. I enjoyed the druid the most out of the others with the paladin being a close second. Out of the SWTOR classes which closely can be compared to one of these 2 classes? Also which is more FUN (not better atm cuz nerfs/buffs change that constantly):rak_03:

I come form a WoW background were I played a Resto Druid, Holy/Disc Priest, and a Holy Paladin. I enjoyed the druid the most out of the others with the paladin being a close second. Out of the SWTOR classes which closely can be compared to one of these 2 classes? Also which is more FUN (not better atm cuz nerfs/buffs change that constantly):rak_03:

The classes are quite different from WoW's, but if I had to say it would be this:

Operative/Scoundrel = Druid Has some HoTs and good single target heals.

Sorcerer/Sage = Priest Has an absorb shield, great AoE heals, and good single target heals. (Don't play this class, so I'm not sure how many HoTs it has)

Mercenary/Commando = Paladin Has great single target heals, weak AoE heals, and a weak HoT.

From what I've heard from most people, and what you'll find on the forums, Sorcerer/Sage is probably the best all around healer out of the bunch. Operative/Scoundrel if played correctly are probably right up there with the Sorc/Sage. Mercenary/Commando is a great niche healer, but if a lot AoE heals are needed, count them out.

Just my $0.02.

Basically what the guy above wrote about categories. I'll add a word about the healers ressource.

It's quite difficult to compare the healers as they've got little twists that make them distinct from the wow genre.

Sorcerer/sage use Force as their healing ressource and it closely ressemble mana as it regens slowly over time at a fixed rate.

Mostly operative/scoundrel and mercenary/commando have a specific ressource (energy or heat) that will regenerate super fast when close to its optimum (100% energy or 0 heat), and regenerate slower as your ressource becomes depleted. So when things are going well you'll have the impression of having infinite mana, and when a sith hit the fan you may find yourself digging your own grave as you run out of ressource and your regen will be the worst it can be.

It's very tactical (do I heal NOW NOW NOW and be useless for 20 seconds or do I wait 3 seconds so that my regen stays optimal but people are likely to die or can they hold until then?).

In addiition to that, operative/scoundrel and mercenary/commando will also have to build up specific ressources that will grant them buff or regen / allow them to use special heals.

The classes are quite different from WoW's, but if I had to say it would be this:

Operative/Scoundrel = Druid Has some HoTs and good single target heals.

Sorcerer/Sage = Priest Has an absorb shield, great AoE heals, and good single target heals. (Don't play this class, so I'm not sure how many HoTs it has)

Mercenary/Commando = Paladin Has great single target heals, weak AoE heals, and a weak HoT.

From what I've heard from most people, and what you'll find on the forums, Sorcerer/Sage is probably the best all around healer out of the bunch. Operative/Scoundrel if played correctly are probably right up there with the Sorc/Sage. Mercenary/Commando is a great niche healer, but if a lot AoE heals are needed, count them out.

Just my $0.02.

Judging by the PvP forums. Sorc/Sage are the worst healers.

I dont agree with this but I havent played one so... Here is my 2 cents as a merc healer since launch

Sorc/Sage = Best AOE heals, squishiest of the 3, bubble is awesome.

Ops/Scoundrel = Probably the best overall healers right now, good hots, stealth, medium armor, good stuns.

Merc/Commando = Best single target healers, worst AOE, Worst HoTs, heavy armor, worst stuns.

All 3 are viable though from what I have seen.

Another thing to look at is how good the DPS specs are for those classes for when dual-spec is available.

Right now all of the healing classes are pretty good, but Smuggler/Operative stands out because of their tools. Stealth, escape mechanics, instant heals, emergency heals, energy builder, and strong CC. Note that there is probably a nerf coming here in the future as a well played Operative healer is effectively unkillable. Also they have the added benefit of getting their ranged tank companion first so you can level up as a healer without any slow down.

Sage/Sorcerer healer is strongest in a hybrid build which focuses on keeping shields up, dishing punishment with DOTs and instant casts, and spot healing. They have better group utility than Smuggler/Operative with shield, force speed, and strong AE heals but suffer from being squishy.

Commando/Merc healers are an interesting mix, they have the weakest AE healing, but the strongest single target healing. They have an interesting mix of utility, and the ability to pump out really good burst healing if needed. They are usually pretty good at keeping themselves up and running, but suffer a bit trying to spread things out due to resource management. Hybrid builds used to be very strong, but nerfs to the Gunnery/Arsenal trees have made those builds non-viable outside of leveling. Of the three healing classes this is the easiest one to play correctly, but probably the weakest.

Edited by azhrione