Curious about Lethality Sniper.

Kyurha

Few questions.

1. How often will I use the cover mechanic as lethality? (absolutely hate it, enjoy ranged dps)

2. Is it good for leveling?

3. Is it competitive in PvP?

4. How well does it do matched up against all the Marauders I've been seeing?

Thanks.

Edited by Kyurha

Few questions.

1. How often will I use the cover mechanic as lethality? (absolutely hate it, enjoy ranged dps)

It's a good idea to drop into cover for Cull to prevent interrupts. Otherwise, only SoS, explosive probe, and ambush are often used powers that require it. Overall, it is a very mobile sniper spec

Not particularly. The DOT focus means it's not overly fast at killing trash and the corrosive nade -> corrosive dart -> weakening blast -> Cull combo that is the focus of the tree is insanely inefficient for normal quest mobs. It's a much better PVP and end game/operations boss spec.

marksman and engineering are both much better leveling specs.

Yes, quite good

depends what you mean. For end game PVE, it's the best pure DPS spec for the sniper and is comparable. It depends a lot on the boss mechanics though.

Edited by Infalliable

It's a good idea to drop into cover for Cull to prevent interrupts. Otherwise, only SoS, explosive probe, and ambush are often used powers that require it. Overall, it is a very mobile sniper spec

Not particularly. The DOT focus means it's not overly fast at killing trash and the corrosive nade -> corrosive dart -> weakening blast -> Cull combo that is the focus of the tree is insanely inefficient for normal quest mobs. It's a much better PVP and end game/operations boss spec.

marksman and engineering are both much better leveling specs.

Yes, quite good

depends what you mean. For end game PVE, it's the best pure DPS spec for the sniper and is comparable. It depends a lot on the boss mechanics though.

Thanks a lot, I'm having such a hard time finding a class I want to play.. I want to DPS, and I don't want to be a push over in PvP.

The rest has been pretty well covered already, but if you mean "How does Lethality do against a Mara in PVP?" the answer is: It's not ideal.

Basically Lethality revolves around having your DoTs up at all times, which gives you two major problems vs a Mara.

1) Your DoTs will break your roots and mezz early.

2) Your DoTs will keep Cloak of Pain up.

These are two of the worst things you can do fighting a Mara, the only thing worse is to prematurely hand him a full resolve bar.

Fortunately you can still burn them down pretty easily from cover at 30+m, but if they close on you with force Camo or start the fight at melee range, you're fighting an uphill battle with Leth.

Few questions.

Thanks.

As a sniper you use cover whenever you can. It makes you unpullable, unchargeable, uninterruptable.

It does not mean you can't do without it, especially as lethality sniper. But you better use it.

Marauders ... In my opinion sniper in all specs is good vs marauder that is not looking at given sniper.

The rest has been pretty well covered already, but if you mean "How does Lethality do against a Mara in PVP?" the answer is: It's not ideal.

Basically Lethality revolves around having your DoTs up at all times, which gives you two major problems vs a Mara.

1) Your DoTs will break your roots and mezz early.

2) Your DoTs will keep Cloak of Pain up.

These are two of the worst things you can do fighting a Mara, the only thing worse is to prematurely hand him a full resolve bar.

Fortunately you can still burn them down pretty easily from cover at 30+m, but if they close on you with force Camo or start the fight at melee range, you're fighting an uphill battle with Leth.

I eat maras up with lethality. With leg shot, debilitate, CP and FB and the slows afforded by CG they are typically nearly dead by the time they can get to me. It helps that the tech damage seems to ignore most of their DCDs, even though they deflect the white damage from cull, the yellow damage still screws them up. And in my hybrid build, with the 21sec slow from IP + CG slow + buffed EP, I might as well be invincible.

You will want to use it from time to time in pvp for defensive purposes. I use it against other snipers or gunslingers so they cannot interrupt your cull. If they do you gotta bounce.

Absolutely Horrid!

Yes. You will have to take time setting up before you unleash the wrath of cull, but when you do the results are satisfactory.

Mara are a pain in the *** if they get the drop on you. One reason why it is good to be in cover when facing them, that way they cannot force leap your ***. I blow all my defensive cooldowns if they are up.

Now if you got the jump on them it is a different story. Once you got your poisons up and you start the cull you will rip them to shreds.

typically nearly dead by the time they can get to me.

I don't think anyone in this thread is trying to suggest that Maras are hard to kill when you start attacking them from max range.

And in my hybrid build, with the 21sec slow from IP + CG slow + buffed EP, I might as well be invincible.

The performance of a hybrid build with IP snare and cluster bombs (and I'm assuming IM) isn't entirely relevant to the performance of "Lethality".

Once you're bringing adv. interrogative techniques into the equation, you're really starting to talk about Engineering vs Maras, not so much Lethality. A 100% uptime snare (IP) is a vastly different creature vs a Mara than a 6 second snare (CG).

"Oh yeah, Lethality totally shreds Maras, just use the Engineering tree!!"

See what I did there?

Edited by Altruismo

I don't think anyone in this thread is trying to suggest that Maras are hard to kill when you start attacking them from max range.

The performance of a hybrid build with IP snare and cluster bombs (and I'm assuming IM) isn't entirely relevant to the performance of "Lethality".

Once you're bringing adv. interrogative techniques into the equation, you're really starting to talk about Engineering vs Maras, not so much Lethality. A 100% uptime snare (IP) is a vastly different creature vs a Mara than a 6 second snare (CG).

"Oh yeah, Lethality totally shreds Maras, just use the Engineering tree!!"

See what I did there?

Or you could learn to read. Notice how I mention a "lethality" sniper destroying them, then end that thought with one of these: ----> . Then move on to hybrid builds vs SW. And "by the time they get to me" means either they've not leaped on me yet and I'm going to town, or they are on me and I cover pulse and keep them at that distance. See what I did there? (hint: I broke it down so your feeble mind could understand) :rolleyes:

Edited by RiChess

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.