Jedi Sentinel – A Primer

Maefly

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice guide, however I'm surprise you make no mention of Riposte.

It's a pretty decent ability since it can't miss, be parried or dodged. When playing with Riposte the main rule is to always have 3 focus available since you never know when you can use it.

Riposte does less damage than Slash (2 focus with refund talent) at every level, costs 3 focus, and is only usable after "a successful defense". Non of a Sentinel's gear should have defense so Riposte will rarely happen.

The first point alone is enough to spend your focus points on Slash. And even though Riposte is off the global cooldown, it is far too situational to be used in a rotation. While I have not played a Guardian, this ability screams tanking.

In short, if you have 3 focus to burn use Slash.

Edited by Maefly

[aname=watchmanpve]Watchman PvE[/aname]

As of this writing, all these builds are speculation and will likely change as level 50 approaches. However, given the available information, these are the ones I'll start with and adjust as needed.

Watchman build, end game flashpoint / operations (PvE) – Juyo form

Watchman PvE (Talent tree at darthhater.com)

Key points:

• 0 meter force leap for force generation and damage
  • Huge damage reduction through force camouflage
  • Increased centering and reduced cooldown on Valorous Call
  • Extra focus from force leap which is a part of the rotation
  • Increased offhand damage and increased accuracy (probably some form of hit cap exists)

Hi!

Can you please explain this for me?

Thanks!

Edited by naitee

I have added some basic information on a Combat Build and rotation Here. I welcome ideas to improve the build and rotation. Please post them here!

In your talent build and rotation you talk about using Slash, but is it really worth the 2 talent points in focus/worth using at all? Considering that Blade rush costs the same as slash, does slightly less damage but always triggers an Ataru strike and does 30% more crit damage (ataru strike also does 30% extra crit damage) and this ataru strike then triggers opportune attack (10% extra damage on focus spender).So shouldn't you just drop Slash out of your bar once you learn Blade rush?

Combat would be for leveling and Watchmen later on. You really need a lot of talent points to make watchmen truly viable unless you are leveling statically with someone.

I would argue its the other way around. At Watchman 20 you get your second dot, at 24 you get stasis. It's not until Combat 29 when you have all your Ataru modifiers and 30 when you get Precision Slash.

I leveled Combat until about level 20 then switched to Watchman when Overload Saber became available. The key to Watchman as you fight difficult encounters is Force Stasis. Apply your dots and force stasis. You not only allow them to do damage but you also remove incoming damage for those 3 seconds. Chain Pacify, Rebuke, and Blade Ward all while continuing to apply dots and direct damage and I had no trouble taking out anything my level, including Champion level quest mobs.

Add to this PvP Combat is rough. The Stuns, slows and snares all the other classes have make getting in range long enough to unload almost impossible. However, I have little trouble dropping some dots on people.

I leveled Watchman until about 32 and switched to Combat to give Precision Slash a try and workout a potential end game build. Switched back after simply not being able to mitigate enough damage while keeping pressure up.

I should note I level with Kira and make extensive use of Force Camouflage to transfer aggro to her after my damage mitigation chain is over. T7 might be a better option for Combat leveling so you have time to apply pressure, but I like it when things die fast and Kira is a beast.

In your talent build and rotation you talk about using Slash, but is it really worth the 2 talent points in focus/worth using at all? Considering that Blade rush costs the same as slash, does slightly less damage but always triggers an Ataru strike and does 30% more crit damage (ataru strike also does 30% extra crit damage) and this ataru strike then triggers opportune attack (10% extra damage on focus spender).So shouldn't you just drop Slash out of your bar once you learn Blade rush?

There are a few things I'm unsure about and since I have not hit the level cap (in live) played safe. It did seem a little too good to be true that Blade Rush would have no cooldown and add all that benefit. If someone can confirm that Blade Rush is as good as it seems to be, then Dynellen is absolutely right, Slash is obsolete.

But it just seemed like it would be strange to level up this complicated class having to use 15 or so abilities each encounter to hitting level 40 and turning into Blade Storm spam.

Hi!

Can you please explain this for me?

Thanks!

Force leap has a minimum range of 10m and using 2 points in the Watchman tree you can reduce the minimum range to 0m (without changing your max range) and allowing you to damage,interrupt and generate focus without having to move. This helps for tougher fights, not the standard mobs, like bosses and such where you either chase them around and they don't get beyond 5/6m from you or they stand there and your Zealous Strike is on cool down. Properly specced at later levels Force leap is giving you 4 points to spend on other abilities and worth using over your basic attack.

It is all about getting the maximum focus in the minimum amount of time so you can unload it through your better point spending moves.

My 2cents....I avoid Mind Sear, the 33% chance to reset Cauterize, are not worth in my play expertice.

Is not a 1/3 ratio...is every slash u do has the 33% chance.

I saw that I usually got a reset every 5 or 6 slashes and that's a lot.

currently playing to get this build:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#501bIrRrRMbGzZhMbZM.1

1/3 = 33%

Am I missing something?

Oh, and Maefly, you might want to take a look at this:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=61081

Very well written guide!

I have a question concering talent trees: I decided to go with your advice on Watchman tree.

Though I don't know where to spend my first talent points on, should I go for Watchman directly to get to Overload Saber first or go with the passives in the other trees first?

Also: Should I use Riposte when available or just wait for the GC on Slash? Slash does more damage but Riposte neglects GC.

I'd like to hear your opinion on this.

Thank you in advance. :)

Edited by PanzerKpw

Force leap has a minimum range of 10m and using 2 points in the Watchman tree you can reduce the minimum range to 0m (without changing your max range) and allowing you to damage,interrupt and generate focus without having to move. This helps for tougher fights, not the standard mobs, like bosses and such where you either chase them around and they don't get beyond 5/6m from you or they stand there and your Zealous Strike is on cool down. Properly specced at later levels Force leap is giving you 4 points to spend on other abilities and worth using over your basic attack.

It is all about getting the maximum focus in the minimum amount of time so you can unload it through your better point spending moves.

Thank you very much!

Very well written guide!

I have a question concering talent trees: I decided to go with your advice on Watchman tree.

Though I don't know where to spend my first talent points on, should I go for Watchman directly to get to Overload Saber first or go with the passives in the other trees first?

Also: Should I use Riposte when available or just wait for the GC on Slash? Slash does more damage but Riposte neglects GC.

I'd like to hear your opinion on this.

Thank you in advance. :)

My suggestion for you would be to focus on the Watchman tree to get to your Overload Saber as it is an integral damage dealing ability. I personally like the first tier of the combat tree but having to wait 5 more levels to hit Overload Saber is going to make those levels tougher.

That said I think if you have Overload Saber before you reach the level 30 range you should be fine.

Go for Slash over Riposte. Riposte does ignore GC but Slash does more damage, costs less and is there all the time. Riposte you have to wait for it to pop based on blocking or parrying an attack and with our gear being suited to dealing damage not defence you are not going to get it to come up nearly as often. I keep it to one side in case I hit a rhythm where I have extra focus to spend and it pops. It IS useful just not as useful as it would be to our Guardian friends.

Thank you for the excellent guide. How can I increase my Accuracy. Is it linked to Aim or some other PRIMARY stat? Thanks.

It looks like accuracy for melee is tied in to your Strength primary stat. I haven't seen anything that adds to it directly outside the ability trees yet. ( I could be very wrong here but this is what I've seen so far) The benefit is that strength increases our damage as well so it is doing extra work to have gear with high strength numbers.

It looks like accuracy for melee is tied in to your Strength primary stat. I haven't seen anything that adds to it directly outside the ability trees yet. ( I could be very wrong here but this is what I've seen so far) The benefit is that strength increases our damage as well so it is doing extra work to have gear with high strength numbers.

Accuracy is a secondary stat that starts appearing in level 30+ gear/mods.

I had already decided to start focusing on Strength heavy mods over the more balanced ones I have used. It makes sense (in game mechanics) that accuracy is tied to strength. I'm bummed that extra accuracy does not appear until level 30 on gear, but I can't have everything.

How do you avoid being squishy then, if you have to sacrifice strength for endurance?

Added some nerd-age on Overload Saber for those interested in maximizing dps and to kick off the theory crafting section.

I know you're out there theorycrafters, lurking, post your thoughts :)

Trying out a Focus build later this week and I'll be making some additions to the gameplay and pvp level ranges.

As always, feel free to post questions or message me, I'm happy to discuss and help.

Question, in regards to the watchman rotation, why is blade storm used over slash? Would slash not be more damage per focus than blade storm?

Thanks!

We discussed this briefly on the first page. My general feeling is until level 50 when you can talent the whole watchman tree plus focused leap, you're better off to use blade storm on the initial opener. Now as the fight developed, yes Slash will do more damage per focus but until the late 40s, you only generate 9 focus with your initial opening, 3 is spent on overload saber and 2 spent on cauterize leaving 4 for the next global cooldown. While Slash does net cost 2 focus, you have to have 3 focus present to use it so at this point (sub level 48) you can only use slash once and have 2 focus left over.

As far as I can tell focus sitting idle is wasted dps unlike combat where pooling for large burst is needed.

At level 50, it would appear that two slashes would be more damage / focus...damage / second is yet to be seen.