Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Regarding server queues

StephenReid

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a teacher, I get home by 3:30, sometimes 4:00 PM EST. At those times I NEVER get a queue. The thing is, though, I'm usually busy at that time and generally don't play until 7:00-ish to 8:00-ish PM EST.

The way the servers are, at those later times, I"m looking at a 45 min to a several hour wait. So, my dilemma is, do I log on and go AFK, keeping the servers full, or log on at 8:00 . . . get in at 9:30, and have to log off an hour or two later, not getting my normal 3 to 4 hour "fix" of MMO time.

The way it is now, I really have no choice but to just stay logged in (and do something to keep the keyboard or mouse active so I don't get logged off for being idle . . . I envision Homer Simpson, when he gained wait to work at home, using that "bobbing bird" to press the keyboard . . . ) though I FEAR if I ever get logged off, that would end my session for the night.

Heaven help me when I'm level 50 and in a raid. We'll have to have 16 in raid and another 16 waiting in the wings just to replace someone that went LD, 'cause we know it's gonna be a while before they get back into game.

Or I can just play another MMO. I don't WANT to . . . but you may leave me with no choice. It is why I never got out of the 2 week trial on Rift: the queue times. Please don't make me not get past the first week (let along the included 30 days) on this MMO. I loved Knights of the Old Republic I and II. This game is that and more. I just can't justify, in this economy, paying for a game I have to wait to play every night. Or log in early, go AFK, and make it harder for anyone else to play.

- Charn

it's only 11am WCT. der

I guess it is at your exact location....

But guess what! For the rest of the world that is not at your exact timezone, the clock is something else!

Dont they give you any education "over there"?

Im pretty tired of ignorant Americans....

yeah by far splashtop is the best client for this I think.

I'm looking into this right now. I know its doable, I just need to set it up. My queue times are generally ~0-20 minutes when I get home from work. But if I get home an hour later, the wait time is an ~1 hour. That said, I think it would be nice if I could remote access my desktop to get in before the crowd if I know I am going to be home late.

I guess it is at your exact location....

But guess what! For the rest of the world that is not at your exact timezone, the clock is something else!

Dont they give you any education "over there"?

Im pretty tired of ignorant Americans....

I ignore Ignorant Americans, seeing as my Fiancee is an American ._.

I'm looking into this right now. I know its doable, I just need to set it up. My queue times are generally ~0-20 minutes when I get home from work. But if I get home an hour later, the wait time is an ~1 hour. That said, I think it would be nice if I could remote access my desktop to get in before the crowd if I know I am going to be home late.

Its a lifesaver. I don't use my smartphone, but logging in on your way home or at least using it to check queued times. At least until they fix this mess

yeah and the good thing about splashtop too is that you can install and use the desktop clients for free, you just have to pay the 2.99 or whatever for the IOS app. It's great for iphone and ipad because it has such a great refresh rate and also carries sound unlike most remote clients.

Server queues aren't dropping any faster for me.

Frankly, I do hope a solution comes around soon. I'm getting pretty fed up of having to log on and wait for up to an hour to play and I know I have it easy compared to some.

So far the queues have only got worse and worse for the server my characters are on. I got the game box in the post today, but I think I might wait until after Christmas to put the code in as hopefully the problem will be sorted by then.

yeah and the good thing about splashtop too is that you can install and use the desktop clients for free, you just have to pay the 2.99 or whatever for the IOS app. It's great for iphone and ipad because it has such a great refresh rate and also carries sound unlike most remote clients.

ive a better free version its called phonedadandaskhimtologmeon.

Going to set this up tonight during maint. I will probably go with splashtop, but I'm going to read some reviews on a few others too.

Other added bonus: I will get a laugh out of messing with the desktop while my gf is on it.

Going to set this up tonight during maint. I will probably go with splashtop, but I'm going to read some reviews on a few others too.

Other added bonus: I will get a laugh out of messing with the desktop while my gf is on it.

yeah I'm a sys admin at a school. Trust me, nothing makes my day more than remoting into a kid's box when they are doing something stupid and taking control or blocking the site they are on and then they refresh or press a link and it comes up blocked. lol

Is it only me, as of today cant "join" servers anymore? Atleast not on the EU side, when I choose US I can join any server I like, but when i choose my EU server and click NOTHING happends, cant even get into the que =(

After reading so many post, I feel the need to also share my experience. My guild with 139 members was deployed on The Swift Sure server. I was so excited to be able to finally play with my guild members and friends that I have played with in SWG. I quickly attempted to log in at around 9pm EST. Sadly I was placed in queue at 1897. I sat patiently looking at the estimated time of 1 hour and 55 min's, and said to myself its ok only 2 hours. To my surprise the two hours waiting turned out to be 3 hours. Finally I was able to log in. Happy to be in, the long queue now behind me and forgotten. I made my char. and sent a hello to all my friends in guild , all of a sudden I was disconnected and to my horror, I was placed back in queue at 2000. NOOOOO I said, not again!, however determine to play this game, I waited. Now its 12:30 PM and I waited until 4 am to finally get back in . Well I got to play for about 30 min's before I was disconnected once again and placed back in queue at 800. /cry off to bed I went wasting a total of 7 hours and only playing for 30 min, very disappointing. Presently I am still facing the long queues which have not gotten any better :(