Social Gear = Bioware working against it's self?

NoaFlux

Social gear with nobody around to wear it with? It's that hypocritical?

Why would BW push a social aspect of the game before the game is social enough?

I's true it does seem like a ghost town. It's hard enough as it is to get someone in your guild or to play a warzone.

I hope BW fixes other aspects, socially, first. Two social problems are listed in the paragraphs below.

Now server transfers would help if they were forced...but since they are voluntary all well see is people hoping all over...and not really condensing to one server....so social problem not solved.

What about the fact that when I help someone from a different class on their mission (spectator mode and such) I don't get any social points at all.....shouldn't I get something for this...even a little? I mean there aren't many people out there to be social with? So how am I even supposed to get social points for social gear? I'm not even past social one, and I do flashpoints all the time.

I hope and pray the BW fix other social aspects of the game first before pushing social gear. It' just hypocritical.

Edited by NoaFlux

Now server transfers would help if they were forced...but since they are voluntary all well see is people hoping all over...

and not really condensing to one server....so social problem not solved.

Considering that every origin server will only have one destination server, and it's a choice between staying on a dead server and moving to a server with a higher population, I'd say that's not as voluntary as it sounds ;)

Edited by Sauska

all the servers that i see for east and west coast are all Light. there might be one from time to time that's Standard occasionally and that's out of ALL of them.

You do realize that's about to change with the transfers starting on June 12?

yep just double checked...light across the whole east and west coast..only two that say Standard. I guess everyone would just jump to those two?

I suggest you read this and familiarize yourself with the transfer proces.

I'm social X, I don't understand whats the problem of grouping up with people and making friends in game...Its easy.

I completely agree! I don't get your point.

My point was why push social gear when all the servers are light. Shouldn't they make the game more social friendly first (*see bottom paragraphs of original post)? I did a couple of missions with friends this week...and since they weren't same class...didn't get points. With few people to choose from....should I get some social points for this even if it's not my class? How am I supposed to get to social IV to wear social gear if I can't get points? I have done lots, and lots of flashpoints etc. and still not above social 2.

Well at least they're hard at work. :D

No seriously, a lot of characters on dead servers are probably pretty dead too. If they just automatically transferred everyone in a hard merge, you'd have servers filled - with a lot of dead weight. That would just cause disgruntlement and a downward spiral on a lot of these merged servers.

The virtue of the soft merge is only the active players will take advantage of the move, theoretically creating merged servers of active players.

Edited by jgelling

I completely agree! I don't get your point.

My point was why push social gear when all the servers are light. Shouldn't they make the game more social friendly first (*see bottom paragraphs of original post)? I did a couple of missions with friends this week...and since they weren't same class...didn't get points. With few people to choose from....should I get some social points for this even if it's not my class? How am I supposed to get to social IV to wear social gear if I can't get points? I have done lots, and lots of flashpoints etc. and still not above social 2.

You get socials points for all shared missions except class quests, so you probably teamed up for class quests with your mates. Group up for all non-class quests and you should be fine :)

I suggest you read this and familiarize yourself with the transfer proces.

Thanks for the info, it really helps! I hope BW does what they say here as it would be great!

The confusion comes from the 1.3 videos. Where one of the creators himself said...something like "transfer to any server your friends are on". I guess he was just promoting the game or speaking broad like. He mentioned nothing about consolidating servers...which was my first impression and what the info you posted leads me to believe.

Edited by NoaFlux

Thanks for the info it really helps, and I hope BW does what they say.

The confusion comes from the 1.3 videos. Where one of the creators himself said...something like "transfer to any server your friends are on". I guess he was just promoting the game or speaking broad like. He mentioned nothing about consolidating servers...which was my first impression and what the info you posted leads me to believe.

My pleasure! I have to admit, the transfer information is spread accross several sources, and it's nice to have a thread where all the sources are combined :)

You get socials points for all shared missions except class quests, so you probably teamed up for class quests with your mates. Group up for all non-class quests and you should be fine :)

I did two quests with my friend. One was a class quest, and one wasn't. I was able to accept the one that wasn't (as he shared it) yet when we went to do the mission nothing happened, yet he said the game told him he completed it etc.

Maybe it's a glitch. Thanks for the info!

Well at least they're hard at work. :D

No seriously, a lot of characters on dead servers are probably pretty dead too. If they just automatically transferred everyone in a hard merge, you'd have servers filled - with a lot of dead weight. That would just cause disgruntlement and a downward spiral on a lot of these merged servers.

The virtue of the soft merge is only the active players will take advantage of the move, theoretically creating merged servers of active players.

Now this is a great explanation! Everyone should read this!

Edited by NoaFlux

Most of the socialization in game takes place in guild chat, general chat, and random world occurences. You bump into someone doing the same quest as you so you do it together. You get no social points for any of these, nor do you points for PvP/Heriocs.

The best way to get social points is to run FPs/Ops where there's very little socializing because everyone is focused on the task at hand.

I agree with the OP but for different reasons, the whole system as I see it promotes space barring through content and not talking.

Its 9:30AM on Est, 6:30AM on PST.

You expect EVERYONE to be on now?

Come on, get real.

Also its sunday, church and family get togethers....

Wait til tonight to complain.

I play at 4-6 pm now everyday during the week and all the servers are the same. Light. It might spike up for an hour around this time (that's why I play at this time..now) but before or after it always looks Light ( I used to get kicked off often while waiting for warzones etc. that's how I know. It shows me the server page). On weekends it should pick up a little, and you are correct it is early and more people will be on later.

Edited by NoaFlux

Most of the socialization in game takes place in guild chat, general chat, and random world occurences. You bump into someone doing the same quest as you so you do it together. You get no social points for any of these, nor do you points for PvP/Heriocs.

The best way to get social points is to run FPs/Ops where there's very little socializing because everyone is focused on the task at hand.

I agree with the OP but for different reasons, the whole system as I see it promotes space barring through content and not talking.

Well that's what I mean. Some social aspects needed to be correct in order for things like social gear to be used...at all.

You do get plenty of social points from questing together (barring the class quests). I leveled my main together with a friend all the way, and we both hit social V at lvl 50. Due to playing on a lightly populated server, we had hardly done any FPs at that point.

I play at 4-6 pm now everyday during the week and all the servers are the same. Light. It might spike up for an hour around this time (that's why I play at this time..now) but before or after it always looks Light ( I used to get kicked off often while waiting for warzones etc. that's how I know. It shows me the server page). On weekends it should pick up a little, and you are correct it is early and more people will be on later.

During prime time The Fatman and Jedi Covenant are normally heavy to very heavy, there is one more as well just not sure what off the top of my head. Then a couple that are standard, but most are light.

You do get plenty of social points from questing together (barring the class quests). I leveled my main together with a friend all the way, and we both hit social V at lvl 50. Due to playing on a lightly populated server, we had hardly done any FPs at that point.

You know it's funny you say that because I've never received social points for questing with someone. You must only receive them when someone completes the quest? Usually my groups break up right after the quest objectives are done before the hand in.

Edited by SajmanPeetee

You know it's funny you say that because I've never received social points for questing with someone. You must only receive them when someone completes the quest? Usually my groups break up right after the quest objectives are done before the hand in.

You have to still be in group when you turn in to get the points.