1.3 Juggernaut Changes

Question/questions...

OK so have level 50 jugg pretty much rakata/BH gear. I am still having a small problem keeping ae agro. Use think its sweeping slash and the instant 6 rage to keep pumping out the ae hits. Even with the armor stacking from smash still have a lot of problems when a dps using ae's goes at it. From what I understand assassins have relatively better ae agro... Is there going to be something to help us match their agro in the future?

If you still have aoe aggro issues after boosts to soresu form, smash and sweeping slash (i'm not gonna say Crushing Blow cause it's only 2 targets more and high hp mobs that can survive though you building sunder stacks) you are doing something wrong. make sure you put 2 points to Decimate in Rage tree (you can take them away from Accuracy in Vengeance tree). Make sure your rotation is Enrage -> AOE taunt -> Smash -> and then start spamming Sweeping Slash. Sweeping Slash is enormous aggro boost. You can use power adrenal or power relic before you smash if your dps outgear you.

In Flashpoints make your dps to attack weak targets first then switch to silver/gold mobs - build your threat on those.

In Operations use the above rotation.

Edited by vandana_

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you still have aoe aggro issues after boosts to soresu form, smash and sweeping slash (i'm not gonna say Crushing Blow cause it's only 2 targets more and high hp mobs that can survive though you building sunder stacks) you are doing something wrong. make sure you put 2 points to Decimate in Rage tree (you can take them away from Accuracy in Vengeance tree). Make sure your rotation is Enrage -> AOE taunt -> Smash -> and then start spamming Sweeping Slash. Sweeping Slash is enormous aggro boost. You can use power adrenal or power relic before you smash if your dps outgear you.

In Flashpoints make your dps to attack weak targets first then switch to silver/gold mobs - build your threat on those.

In Operations use the above rotation.

The only thing wrong about what you're saying here is you blow your AoE taunt when you have no threat built, which essentially wastes it. You should save your AoE taunt for 3 GCDs into the fight or until someone pulls a mob/mobs from you, whichever comes first. This way, you gain 110% (130% if farther than 2.48m away) threat from the top (you if you have aggro, whoever stole aggro if you don't) this allows you to hold threat much better than blowing it before you've even attacked anything.

The only thing wrong about what you're saying here is you blow your AoE taunt when you have no threat built, which essentially wastes it. You should save your AoE taunt for 3 GCDs into the fight or until someone pulls a mob/mobs from you, whichever comes first. This way, you gain 110% (130% if farther than 2.48m away) threat from the top (you if you have aggro, whoever stole aggro if you don't) this allows you to hold threat much better than blowing it before you've even attacked anything.

You are right, taunts are threat building abilities in this game and should be used as such. And smash and sweeping slashes until rage is empty should be enough to grab the initial aggro and then you can additionally boost it with aoe taunt. If you are fighting more than 5 targets it's the only situation when you may want to use it from start to avoid stray mobs hitting healers/dps.

Edited by vandana_

That is basically what I'm doing usually use saber throw and force leap initially for the rage build just in the center of the mobs use smash- sweeping slash-enrage and sweeping slash til I run outta rage. the dps I raid/group with are basically geared the same as me some a little under what I have. just blows my mind the sin tanks can hold agro so well and tank so well being they're light armor... thinking of switching

you can see from the charts that you start hitting serious DR at around 28% defense and 60% shield/absorb. that's why you should get 28/50/50. it's hard to go much higher than that 50/50 shield/absorb without sacrificing too much health.

i have no probs hitting 28/60/60 if thats whats better,

if i reduce my def to 28% my attack "retaliation" adds an extra 3%

so

the chart shows def hitting 33% at max before DR ?

edit,

i also have inf end/def stim so that adds a few %

so do i reduce def to 25% or keep it at 30%? my attack will increase the 25% to 28%?

i am happy to swap some def% for shi/abs IF that will help me ??

Edited by a_beast_

i have no probs hitting 28/60/60 if thats whats better,

if i reduce my def to 28% my attack "retaliation" adds an extra 3%

so

the chart shows def hitting 33% at max before DR ?

edit,

i also have inf end/def stim so that adds a few %

so do i reduce def to 25% or keep it at 30%? my attack will increase the 25% to 28%?

i am happy to swap some def% for shi/abs IF that will help me ??

DR is way before 33%. To get from 28% to 33% you'd need 1000 rating. Take a closer look at the google docs link posted in comments of this theorycrafting article.

Flat percentage from Retaliation is irrelevant of stats and not affected by DR so you should go for optimum defense you can get without hitting the DR from gear and defense rating stim. That is 28%. 3% from Retaliation is a bonus. I don't think 28/60/60 is possible with current gear without dropping your health to some ridiculously low levels if possible at all.

The ratio you should aim for taken from the same site (tankingtor.com) in easily obtainable gear (mk-1 etc) is:

Defense: [531] 28.41 %

Shield: [546] 48.91 %

Absorb: [454] 51.95 %

You can modify it a bit. Add few % to S/A but you get the overall idea.

Edited by vandana_

i have currently around 26/44/43 with 24k unbuffed and it's more then enough for me. My healers don't cry and i cleared the hardest content in this way. I buffed my power and strength with augments instead of def/shield/absorp, because after the 1.3 patch i changed my skilltree to 31|3|7 and now try to partly reclaim the loss of damage with them. I think it's enough overall defense and only partly useful because it effects only 2 of 4 damage types (energy/ranged and weapon/melee damage), the other half ignores these stats and runs only through the damage reduction from armour and some special skilled or buffed percentages and is mainly a straight-through thing (elemental and internal).

P.S.: sorry for bad english, i'm from germany ;)

• 2 weeks later...
ok ive gotten to 28.31/52/50

is this good ? i ask cos i dont really notice the differance and id like to know the full def/shi/abs ratings before deminishing returns happen.

You'll get more bang for your buck flipping shield and absorb (if you can.) Shield becomes less valuable as you get higher defense (fewer shield opportunities because you took no damage.) Also, losing 2 points in shield will probably net you 3 points or more in abs because of the Diminishing Returns at that point.

You'll get more bang for your buck flipping shield and absorb (if you can.) Shield becomes less valuable as you get higher defense (fewer shield opportunities because you took no damage.) Also, losing 2 points in shield will probably net you 3 points or more in abs because of the Diminishing Returns at that point.

so the best stat would be 28/50/50 ?

i can remove the 2 points in shield but only if it will help me.

if i stay at 28/50 can i make my abs much higher ? or just keep it at 50. my shield is at 52.78 and 50.47 abs just for a more accurate result.

i believe what ur saying is 28/50/52

Edited by a_beast_

Exactly. I was at roughly 51% absorb, removed an augment (+18) and it dropped to 49 and change. You really do get a lot of bang for your buck with it still.

(And it may be more like 28/50/53)

Edited by DiLune

Exactly. I was at roughly 51% absorb, removed an augment (+18) and it dropped to 49 and change. You really do get a lot of bang for your buck with it still.

(And it may be more like 28/50/53)

ok great ill increase the abs to 53& but can it be higher without diminishing return ?

id like to get the highest stats thats possible without DR ?

ok great ill increase the abs to 53& but can it be higher without diminishing return ?

id like to get the highest stats thats possible without DR ?

You're always up against DR in some way or another. Its just a matter of where you are in the spectrum (how close you are.)

dam it i forgot to ask since am not rocking at 28/50/53 i didnt mention about the endurance stim. will taking this affect me for DR as it goes over 28% def,

if it does i best sell them lol.....

also when i get hit sometimes i get chataters saying absorbed but i never see how much is being absorbed.

i know if the mob hits me for 1000 my 53% would reduce that just over half but how do u know how the mob hits u for in the first place ??

Edited by a_beast_

is the blackhole bulwark's mk-1 shield any good? or should i keep my columi war leaders shield untill i get a rakata war leaders shield?

i would upgrade all the way to yeah get the bh shield as the stats are good and u can aug if u miss anything i.e def

• 1 month later...
dam it i forgot to ask since am not rocking at 28/50/53 i didnt mention about the endurance stim. will taking this affect me for DR as it goes over 28% def,

if it does i best sell them lol.....

also when i get hit sometimes i get chataters saying absorbed but i never see how much is being absorbed.

i know if the mob hits me for 1000 my 53% would reduce that just over half but how do u know how the mob hits u for in the first place ??

Absorbed means damage was absorbed by sonic barrier or sorcerers shield. U can't see in logs if u shielded an attack, u just get less damage.

And I find rakata shield much better than bh one. Just wait until u get campaign one and spend ur BH comms for smth else.