Writing a SWOTR book

Mehulck

I have a question. I was wondering, what if i created a personal diary/ documentation for one of my toon's story. It would be everything in a role playing way and once i had all the material, I will go back and create a book and maybe even hope to publish it. I am not sure if this would be copy write infringement or something of that nature. Example is when you are faced with a choice, I'm sure most of us just don't pick light and dark based on the toon you have, without checking out the other choices. Sometimes there is the obvious choice but others there can be two, so we think about it, so my thoughts will become my toons thoughts when I put it on paper along with the actual conversation/events that are in game. Or what about the times you may want to kill a person, but that choice is not there. So what do you think good idea/ bad idea, lawsuit waiting to happen? lol

I have a question. I was wondering, what if i created a personal diary/ documentation for one of my toon's story. It would be everything in a role playing way and once i had all the material, I will go back and create a book and maybe even hope to publish it. I am not sure if this would be copy write infringement or something of that nature. Example is when you are faced with a choice, I'm sure most of us just don't pick light and dark based on the toon you have, without checking out the other choices. Sometimes there is the obvious choice but others there can be two, so we think about it, so my thoughts will become my toons thoughts when I put it on paper along with the actual conversation/events that are in game. Or what about the times you may want to kill a person, but that choice is not there. So what do you think good idea/ bad idea, lawsuit waiting to happen? lol

A lot of hard work into writing and publishing a book. Especially based on someone elses ideas. Posting it on a website like fanfiction.net is probably your best and safest bet.

Anything that involves publishing a Star Wars book has to go through Lucas Arts, and they will literally pick it apart for anything that would conflict with existing canon and expanded canon.

However, dont let this get you down. If you really want to get it published, go for it.

A 'suit' with a bunch of papers in his hand will be knocking at your door shortly to 'discuuss' with you the fact that you even thought about doing this.

Hardly. Lucas himself is pretty open to creativity and fan fictions in general. The "suits" will only show up if the OP actually publishes the book without the approval of LucasArts.

The only chance that this flies is if you can somehow sell that book to Del Ray who is the publisher of the existing Star Wars novel series. Good luck though, Drew Karpyshyn is their go-to author for tie-in works in the KOTOR/SWTOR storyline and he seems to be doing a damn good job of it.

As has been said in already. The correct answer you can write a Star Wars novell, but to publish it you have to go through Lucas and get your story approved, otherwise suits will sooner or later be knocking at your door... ;)

Oh ok great advice. I wasn't sure if it would even make sense for me to attempted it. I figured I would have to go through Lucas or Bioware. I wasnt sure if i had to get approval first. I got the idea from all the books I've been reading. I'm currently on Red Harvest, but Ive read Fatal Alliance, Revan, Deceived and Plagueis. I really don't care who is goes through as long as legal and i get to share it with everyone. I just don't want someone taking my research/story and using it as theirs. That's why I wanted to publish it. Maybe if I make enough noise when I'm done, those guys in the black suits will come knocking and when they do i can hand them the manuscript and say "hey thanks for coming, can you take this to George?" Then with my luck they will hold out a silver pen and ask me to sign some papers, but i know I've seen this before, so in a panic i wave my hand and say "these are not the droids your looking for" then the pen flashes and I don't remember a darn thing. A few moths later a new SWOTR book comes out and I read it and I think to myself, wow if i wrote a SWOTR book, it would be just like this! lol